The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » HDMI Port (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Anyone try to use the HDMI port to send music to your amp and speakers?

Most small devices only have 1 USB, 1 ear phone sound plug, and 1 AC power outlet. Being HDMI can send video and sound, just was considering to use the mini HDMI port to send sound to the amplifier and speakers, using a USB connection or other type of outlet/inlet.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
It could work, but it will depend on the devices you have and how they handle the HDMI. The smartphone or tablet hopefully will let you configure what the HDMI output does, and then what do you do to hook it into the speakers?

It's probably simpler to come out of the headphone jack.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Jeff for you response. You are right on track with my thinking. I did some searching, on HDMI, and found to one wire to USB, still looking if their is other changeover wires. Just thought it might be a good alternative to getting better sound quality from the device. Some headphone outlets automatically lower the sound when plugged in, so kids don't go deaf over misuse.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The volume shouldn't be an issue - your speakers should have a volume control on them that will be more important than what the smartphone puts out.
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike
Sound quality also has to do with the file format of the music, lossless audio is better than MP3.

A good equalizer not a cheap 3 band eq will also make a difference. Look for gain, sweepable mids, quality mic preamps.

An issue that you might face is using usb and hdmi at the same time. May not be possible.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
On my desktop, you do have to chose only one sound source. So sound would be shut off from the USB and be powered through the HDMI port. The USB being used by the remote already.

I thought MP3 has been improved from years ago, it is less lossless, or more intelligent compression, is what I read several years ago.

The sound/music stores in our city, say that Mono is the only format to use on live shows with music and speaking.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Mono makes sense - don't split the soundtrack left/right, make sure that everyone hears everything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » HDMI Port (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL