The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope shears are for wimps! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Hi gang,

I was looking at tricky rope shears the other day, and due to my rather frugal nature (ahemmm...) I put my mind to alternatives. Then I thought, in the real world, who carries a pair of shears around in his (or her) pocket, anyhow? Now, I know it's traditional, and all that, BUT WHY??

I came up with a perfect alternative: a one-hand opening, buck-type, lock-blade knife. For a lot less than I would pay for the open/no-open shears, I got the perfect "weapon" and this beauty has about a 5" blade that snaps out with a very audible, attention-getting, menacing-sounding CLICK with a snap of the wrist.

WOW!

And I can use the thing for card stabbing, envelope opening, throat slicing, lemon slicing, or just about any other use my diabolical mind can put it too. An added bonus with the particular knife I bought, it comes with a clip on one side, probably for clipping to one's belt. This would make a great holdout for coins, etc.

BTW, these things are prefectly legal in my state, but may not be legal in all jurisdictions. Check with your local sheriff!

:magicrabbit:
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Cheaptrick, it is good you did not purchase the cut-not scissors, as they will not cut rope. They are for a gag to try and cut paper. You will have to have that knife real sharp to cut rope as easily as a scissors.

Just my thoughts.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I didn't know that about "cut/no-cut".

This knife is very high quality. It's 440 stainless steel and takes a good edge. It's also partially serrated. They now sell an inexpensive honer for the serated part.

I use a sharpening steel on other knives I own. You can't use a steel on serrated edges, though.

Works pretty good.

Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I was thinking...hmmm...who walks around with a one-hand opening buck-type knife...and furthermore, who walks around with eight or so feet of rope, soft cotton no less? Nobody I know.

Anyway, in over 25 years, nobody has ever, ever questioned my use of a pair of shears. So it's a non-issue for me.

I guess I'll just have to suffer the stigma of being a wimp.
Coram Deo
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Me big wimp too. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Steve and Pete,

You guys are probably right, but I live in a TOUGH neighborhood, and LOTS of guys (women, too) around here walk around with buck knives and SOME with a handy length of rope.

Magically, though, from a showmanship point of view, this is a real attention-getter with BUILT-IN misdirection. I'm gonna give it a shot.

Anyone want to go bail, if I get busted?

Smile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Cheaptrick,

I think you would look great in a black leather jacket as a biker magician.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Alright, Opus!

I'll wear my black leather jacket. Good idea.

Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
When performing I wear a 15-inch dagger but still use scissors to cut my rope as they are faster and allow me to do cuts, like cutting off the ends, that a dagger can not readily do.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I did my "Appearing Knife" schtick last night in a club contest. Didn't cut any rope, just liberated a $20 bill from a lemon. The knife, itself, had a lot of impact, though a lot of folks thought I was using a switchblade.

I've cut a lot of (clothesline) rope with this thing in practice. You are right, this thing really is razor sharp, but scissors do a better job of trimming knots and real fussy stuff.

Next thing will be the Kellar String trick with the pig sticker cutting the string. I've got a pretty good routine worked out that winds up with Scott Gwinn's ring on a string.

I don't think many folks are doing the Kellar thing.

irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Magicians are not "normal" people, so having unusual items on one's person is "normal" if you are a magician.

Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Being an old army guy, I "ALWAYS" have my leatherman wave on my belt and a clip knife "in my pocket". I am embarressed to say I lost a very expensive clip knife (the first one I owned) because I put it on my belt and it either got hooked on something or it got lifted on a trip to Honduras. Either way, I learned the safety of putting your knife inside your pocket, with the clip on the outside. And, with a little practice, you can have it out fairly quickly anyway.

Steven and Peter, it's not wimpy, it's preference. I am personally very happy with my setup. When I went from a special ops environment to electronic warfare maintenance, lots of guys I worked with thought I was nuts. It's whatever you are comfortable with.

Steve Smile

P.S. Doesn't everybody carry at least 100' of rapelling rope with them in their evac bag, all the time??? It comes in real handy for doing rope tricks. Smile Smile Smile
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Please let us know right after that razor sharp knife squirts blood all over the floor and your props...

Come to think of it, a blood squirting knife would make a pretty sellable 'gag'....dibs on the idea...
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Quote:
On 2004-04-14 11:36, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Please let us know right after that razor sharp knife squirts blood all over the floor and your props...

Actually the thing is pretty safe. It has a positive locking mechanism, and reasonable prudence keeps you free from cuts.

The big advantage is it's a one-handed operation, and snapping it open is great misdirection. (The specs think it's a switch blade.)

Quote:
Come to think of it, a blood squirting knife would make a pretty sellable 'gag'....dibs on the idea...

Yeah, a blood capsule, and a little acting would make things interesting.

Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Who carries around shears? A magician doing a rope trick. It's no big deal. Don't over think it.
I have never had anyone question the use of scissors!

As for the knife, I would not use a knife because I let the spectator do most of the cutting. (Expecially kids.) Scissors work perfectly for this. If you let your spectators do the cutting then you might want to think about it too.
Daniel Faith
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
Wiss makes a set of electrician shears that look like the kind of scissors kids use in kindergarten, but they are sharp and tough enough to cut a copper penny in half.

Get them from places that carry tools for the electrical trade.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
The best and most inexpensive shears for ropes that I've discovered:

Pruning shears in the gardening department. They make smaller sizes, perfect to use, as well as the larger ones, they can cut thru a tree limb so rope is nothing to them, and if you grind down the points round on your grinder, they are safe for spectators to handle, and safe for your pocket...won't poke holes. Plus they have locking blades, a feature that shears do not have. They are also spring loaded.

Did I mention that they were perfect for this job? And at abut $3 to $5, they are a 'Best buy"...check BigLots for them.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope shears are for wimps! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL