The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Contest: Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
So who would you rather be, the brilliant Jekyll or the wild Hyde?
That's my premise for a routine using a set of Jekyll and Hyde cards, the spectator gets to choose and the routine, using two decks of cards, goes from there.
Obviously You do as I do effects would work, but I'd like to go further. Separating Jekyll from Hyde cards, for example? And it would be awesome if the routine developed differently depending on who the spectator choose. I recall reading somewhere a You do as I don't do trick, for example, that would work for Hyde.

The routine will also include a custom switch box, pictured below, that perfectly holds the two decks.

Send me your ideas, and I'll compile them in a routine and performance script, plus additional good ideas. I want to produce a limited edition of 13 such sets? The best idea will win a free set -- box, cards and routine. (As long as I get decent response. If one persons send an old you do as I do fromWalter Gibson, I don't want to be on the hook for a box). any whose ideas make the book gets a free printed copy, plus a discount if they want to buy a set. And full credit of course.

I'm especially interested in ideas incorporating the box. Please no impossible slights or gaffed cards, though each set could include a few random extras if needed. Anyone submitting an idea will get a PDF of the book, which should be quite adaptable to regular red and blue bikes to other contrasting back designs.

You can email your submissions to mcharisse@aol.com.

And here's a sneak peak at the box ... Check back for more later.

Marc

Click here to view attached image.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
So, you want us to do your job?
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
What do the Jekyll & Hyde cards look like? Are they regular cards but with 2 different back designs? Like a Jekyll deck and a Hyde deck? Just trying to get m my head round the concept.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Yes I agree, it would be best if we knew what the fronts and backs of the cards look like.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Do it (R&S), and you can spread with one Jekyll or Hyde showing.
With the rest of the deck showing as the other.

Ambitious Hyde.

A, Hyde or Jekyll stuck to the ceiling.

A, Hyde or Jekyl through a window.

I'm sure there are prolly a few card tricks out there ! lol

Box, looks nice !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, mcharisse wrote:
Separating Jekyll from Hyde cards, for example?

Marc

Not a routine here, but an idea. Why not start with them separated? And then they merge, Jekyll, Hyde, Jekyll, Hyde... they merge personalities, not separate.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Al,
Good idea. I know there's no routine here yet, but there will be. I have the scripting skills, and thing the good and evil notion and How they must together is a fruitful concept, but aren't really enough of a card guy to fit effects without a ton of research. Thought it would be more fun to turn it into a contest and get some buzz, as well as some good ideas.
In that sense I'm a (lowercase) curator here, gathering good ideas and presenting them. Plus I'll make a nice box for the best idea and discount others. And you never know, if ideas really knock my socks off, I might have to come up with a runner up prize or two.
Ultimately, I'd like to leave something that contributes something meaningful to the literature of two deck effects, and make a cool limited edition box out of the deal.
Here's a bit better look at box, as well as some of the cards. They are the decks by us playing card company released by alakazam.
Marc

mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Some other interesting things about these decks:
The Jekyll deck has a third jocker with seven of spades printed on it instead of potion.
The Hyde deck has a send ace of hearts with two of hearts printed on it.
The Hyde deck face cards are skulls, and the ace of spades has blood on it.
The back color and design differences are subtle, but isn't that as it should be? After all, the differences between good and evil are often subtle and shaded.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Contest: Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL