The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All they had to do was test the gun (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Mr Hinton said, explaining why he shouldn't have had to sit on death row for nearly three decades.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32178121
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
pollark
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of pollark
Thank God they did because
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Our legal system is the most ridiculous of any in the planet. That is until you look at the alternatives.

and now they don't have to look silly. (again)
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
According to a study published a few years ago in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 143 people on death row since the reintroduction of the death penalty have been exonerated and released. The study also indicates that there are over 120 currently on death row who are completely innocent, and the US may have executed over 100 innocent men and women since 1977.

The peer-reviewed paper found that 4.1% of those on death row were wrongly convicted, or one in twenty five. That is a frighteningly high number of innocent people executed or threatened with execution.

The second most common reason for the cock-ups was failure of the police or prosecution to do their job properly, as in this case.

Another thing about the US system that is frightening is that being innocent is NOT grounds for being removed from death row and released. In a Supreme Court case Herrera v Collins the court ruled that a retrial would not be ordered, or an execution halted, if subsequent evidence revealed that someone was innocence. The only grounds for stepping in was a procedural mistake, not proof of innocence.

Leonel Herrera's last words before he was given the needle for two murders he did not commit were: "I am an innocent man, and something very wrong is taking place tonight."

Unfortunately something very wrong has taken place over 100 times since 1977, and while I am delighted for Anthony Hinton, we should not forget that.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
That 100 executed that may have been innocent is it possible that they were guilty? How did this group study arrive at their conclusions? Maybe they should judge the people on trial and forget about the jury system. What does "wrongly convicted" mean? How did they find out and no one else did? I am not being sarcastic here I just want to know how they know and no one else knew. Did they do anything about the injustices imposed upon these people or just do a study? Something should be done to help those people who have been unjustly imprisoned. Unfortunately nothing can be done for the supposedly innocent that have been executed. if all of this is true it is a huge miscarriage of justice.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
New evidence can come to light after an innocent man has been hung by the neck until dead. Such as in the case of 10 Rillington Place, which fortunately for the sake of his family cleared the innocent mans name.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2015, acesover wrote:
That 100 executed that may have been innocent is it possible that they were guilty? How did this group study arrive at their conclusions? Maybe they should judge the people on trial and forget about the jury system. What does "wrongly convicted" mean? How did they find out and no one else did? I am not being sarcastic here I just want to know how they know and no one else knew. Did they do anything about the injustices imposed upon these people or just do a study? Something should be done to help those people who have been unjustly imprisoned. Unfortunately nothing can be done for the supposedly innocent that have been executed. if all of this is true it is a huge miscarriage of justice.

Start here for some answers to your questions:
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All they had to do was test the gun (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL