The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » How to print out a page? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Is there some way to print out an entire page from an issue in the archives?

All I can find is the click & drag box, which doesn't seem capable of expanding to full page size.

Also it would be nice not to have to print out the Instructions box all the time.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

C'mon Richard, we know you post here. How about some customer service?
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Mr. Wrestler,

I'm the last person to tell anyone how to use a computer but I've had no problems printing articles out. It may not be the right way, but I go to the page I want, which is actually two pages (both sides of the magazine) and when I click on 'contents' icon on the right and it gives me the transcribed version but I don't see the printer icon. I just copied the page by highlighting it and choosing 'copy' and pasted it onto a note (on a mac) and I think Windows has blank documents. Pasted that on the note and printed it out. I also tried to print one out that wasn't the transcribed page but the actual original one and what I did was just take a screen shot of it (command + Shift + 4 on the Mac, I have no idea on Windows) and it saved it as a .pdf file that I could print.

I have no idea if that's the best way to do it but it worked great for me.

Hope you solve your problem, I know how frustrating the stupid computer can be sometimes.

Respectfully,

Phil
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
On an iMac: When viewing a page, (actually two pages as mentioned above,) look in the upper right corner. There should be two icons, a printer icon and a blue square with an "X". The X is used to expand the view to full page. Don't do that. Click on the printer icon and a new window will appear. In that window, select either the right or left page and then click "Download/Print" button on upper left. Go from there. I imagine it works similarly on a Windows PC.

One evil thing on the Mac is that if you are in full-screen mode, you will not see the print window that pops up. It remains hidden behind the magazine page window unless you click the blue square with the X to go back to normal view. That is why I said not to click it in the first place.

I seem to recall that the print function is not available on a tablet, neither Apple nor Android variety.

Added: I just checked the operation on a Windows PC and it works the same. Unless you are using a tablet, I am not sure why you are having a problem.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Mr. Marq,

Thanks for chiming in. I was wondering why I couldn't see what I wanted printed. I'm not too bright when it comes to these fancy-schmancy computers, but playing around with it for a little while and clicking on stuff you soon learn to navigate your way around.

R/

Phil
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Sorry, Phil, but most of my time has been spent getting Genii out and trying to finish the Tenyo book.
There is an icon to download a pdf of a particular page to your desktop, from which you can then print it out.
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Mr. Kaufman,

Thanks for the info, but I'm not having trouble downloading any pages. Sure, I'm a little slow but I got most of it figured out. Mr. CheeseWrestler is having the problem. I suggested taking a screenshot which saves it as a .pdf, but it's nice to know you already have that built in. As I said above, I'm not the best when it comes to stuff like this, I was just passing along what worked for me to try to help him out.

Good luck with your Tenyo book. I'm sure it's top notch, just like all the other books you've ever put out.

Respectfully,

Phil
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Sorry, Phil, but most of my time has been spent getting Genii out and trying to finish the Tenyo book.
There is an icon to download a pdf of a particular page to your desktop, from which you can then print it out.

Well sure enough.

Why wasn't that happening before?

Because I do know how to &se a c%^%$ter' I've 76TyyFRRRRG lots of times. Oh well!

ThankKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKs!
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, cheesewrestler wrote:
Is there some way to print out an entire page from an issue in the archives?

All I can find is the click & drag box, which doesn't seem capable of expanding to full page size.

Also it would be nice not to have to print out the Instructions box all the time.

The better question to ask is: Whose bright idea was it to restrict printing to one single page at a time? It didn't use to be like that. I understand there's piracy concerns and concerns about protecting intellectual property, but it's a bit silly to treat subscribers like would-be criminals just for wanting to read hard copy of GENII content. Not to mention time-consuming: it's not an exaggeration to say it can easily take a whole weekend, if you're lucky, to get a few pages from a single issue. What would really be nice is to treat subscriber with a little more respect. Yeah, I'm really going to sell pirate copies of GENII on e-bay or even in-person when the darn web site imprints my name on it and, in turn, can be traced to an IP address. It's too bad GENII makes awesome leaps and bounds in the magic world, only to have such a silly, a-backwards, back-issue printing restrictions - talk about overkill.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, BCE wrote:

... it's not an exaggeration to say it can easily take a whole weekend, if you're lucky, to get a few pages from a single issue.

Well actually, that is an exaggeration. I've never had any problem printing the few pages in an article or trick description that I liked. I think the answer would be that you aren't being given the past issues. You are being given access to view them. If you want to own the back issues, you can purchase the actual files from Lybrary.com.
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On May 3, 2015, Frank Yuen wrote:
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, BCE wrote:

... it's not an exaggeration to say it can easily take a whole weekend, if you're lucky, to get a few pages from a single issue.

Well actually, that is an exaggeration. I've never had any problem printing the few pages in an article or trick description that I liked. I think the answer would be that you aren't being given the past issues. You are being given access to view them. If you want to own the back issues, you can purchase the actual files from Lybrary.com.

Well, we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree because I stand by my comments. Why, pray tell, do I have to make an additional purchase if my subscription *should* give me access to past issues? With all due respect, I think it's redundant to pay a second time for something I already paid for. If you don't think there's anything redundant about paying two times for something you already paid for...hey, have at it.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
You do have access. TO VIEW them. No where does it state that you own them. You may think there is no difference but it's a real distinction. And you wouldn't be paying two times because you aren't paying for the archive you are being given access to it.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1180 Posts

Profile of Chris
I have to second Frank's explanation. When you subscribe to Genii you get your new paper or PDF issues. Additionally, as a bonus, you get to view online all the past issues from the very beginning. However, online viewing has its limitations and comes with its own set of caveats. If you prefer to have all issues as PDFs on your computer, where you can search and print anytime you want, then the set of PDFs Lybrary.com sells (be it as download or on a flash memory) is the way to go. The speed and accessibility of a local PDF, particularly such a large run of more than 50,000 pages, is so much more convenient that it is hard to compare it with the online version.

If you only occasionally want to look something up then the online version will be fine. But if you are a heavy user of Genii back issues you will find that owning the PDFs is definitely worth it. And it is something you will keep even if you should stop your subscription. A future owner of Genii might decide to not offer the online back issues for free. Or Genii might at some point cease to exist. Kaufman will retire eventually and what will happen at that point nobody knows. If you have your PDFs you will have them no matter what. A complimentary free online access can go away faster than you can print out Genii.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I'm a heavy user of Genii and when I find a trick that needs printing out, I just do it one page at a time. Takes less than a minute. I don't see any big deal about it.

If I'm reading articles, I always do it digitally--and I have every issue sitting here in the office!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » How to print out a page? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL