The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Duration of your performance at each table (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Hi folks,

this question always bugged me a bit. Currently I have not a almost fixed amount of time I do at each table. Which crwates a few pros & cons.
If a restaurant advertises with me (e.g. tonight there will be a magician bla bla) I feel very bad for the customers if they just get to se 5 minutes of me. On the other hand, if I do 10 Minutes a table I reach a LOT less tables. This is a bit of a dilemma for me.
Please give me some advise how you are handling this!
My current work is 19-22 in a big restaurant and those people did some big advertising throughout the local newspaperS! So I expect people with expactations...
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
1) A table receiving a short amount of magic, knowing that other tables receive the same, will be far less upset than if they receive none, knowing that others receive much.

2) If you can only give them 5 minutes, give them your BEST 5 minutes.

3) Be fluid. Adjust your timing according to the business. If time allows, there is a better chance of giving each table more (or going back later to give them more).

4) Make ALL your decisions based on what is best for the restaurant.

5) Convert your worry and concern into positive energy. Happiness and enthusiasm are often contagious.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The time is what it is. Portions of food do not vary.

If they want more you will be shorting others. Everyone is equal. That is really the only starting point that works.

If they want to see more they will come back.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
The last two posters have far more experience than myself, but I think Michael's second point rings especially to me.

I did a gig for a fast food restaurant (it was a special event). While some patrons sat down and I could do full routines, others I just had to show them stuff in the queue. So I only had 2 minutes! So I made sure to cut out any filler and mainly performed my strongest openers that have a very strong ending (jumbo coin, turbo stick).

If you pick modular routines, they feel like they have seen a lot anyway.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Thank you very much for the advice everybody. Much appriciated!

Just out of curiosity. In case the food is not coming yet, so no time pressure. What is your average time you spent on an average table?
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
7 minutes and I work after dinner.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
@ Danny:

How do you manage to know or keep track who has finished dinner? Are you not just going from table to table as long as they are not eating?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well once there is no silverware it is a pretty good sign.

Also I work by request. So it is easy to keep track of.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Oh I never heared of that before. Besides in Germany the silver wear ist usually always on the table even with no food served yet.
How does one work at request? Do people sign up at a list or do you ask somehow everyone or how does this work? Never heard of this method before.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2015, Memory-Jah wrote:
Oh I never heared of that before. Besides in Germany the silver wear ist usually always on the table even with no food served yet.
How does one work at request? Do people sign up at a list or do you ask somehow everyone or how does this work? Never heard of this method before.

Hello Memory-Jah, I think the 'by request' mean they hole their hand up and call you to do some magic. They ask you to come.
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually no not at all.

First of all it was not my idea. We worked this way at Schuliens. Mind you it went on for about 100 years before I ever walked in the door.

What happened was simple. There is a table tent saying if you want to see magic inform your server. (Not the actual text of it but the idea.) Then servers simply write a list which you follow as they finish dinner. Generally other tables will see this happening and it all feeds on itself.

I have always found it easier to work with no plates and such on the table.

Not all restaurants will allow you to work this way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Very interesting! I kinda like this too.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It makes more sense to me and always has.

Again mind you it is not my idea. But once you do it this way you will not want to go back.

Also when done This way it limits the places you can work. If you are in a restaurant that wants to "turn and burn" tables it probably wouldn't work out so well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
We need to remember that we are working for the restaurant. Do they want to fill seats at a family night? Do they want to offer a unique experience? I find it hard to disagree with the advice given, the more tables the better. You are the hired help the restaurant.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I always perform 3 bits per table. That way, my show as a beginning, a middle, and an end. It all depends on what I do, but on average, it's between 5-7 minutes per table.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
king_amongthepigs
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of king_amongthepigs
I'm about to hit my first restaurant and wow this topic is a goldmine!
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Regardless of what a restaurant may be advertising in regards to entertainment,people patronize a restaurant in hopes of a good meal. It might make a table side magician feel less important, but when it comes down to spending hard earned cash the average family is more interested in eating well than seeing the latest performance of signed card to impossible location. If the customer wants magic fine. It is such a rare thing to have restaurant magic offered that people don't associate a specific context of how much time warrants a satisfactory performance duration. If a family feels that the table next to them had more time with the magician, they will simply invite him or her back if time permits.

Too many magicians worry about details that have no real justification other than assumptions made by those who have really never performed magic for the public. Restaurant magic is a JOB. It isn't as glamorous as one would be led to believe. At best it will be a learning experience in how few effects are needed to satisfy the average couple of hours that most magicians work. It will also be a humble reminder that most laypeople associate magicians with an entertainer who works primarily for children...if one can accept this and use it to their advantage, a magician may end up making a few extra bucks doing the restaurant scene.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Duration of your performance at each table (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL