The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Loop Shackles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
During the course of another message, I had posted a query about a source for loop shackles that weren't so chrome that they screamed "magic shop purchase." Jay stepped via PM and offered me a set, and I jumped at the opportunity. I have to say that I'm thrilled at what I received. These are heavy-duty, beefy chains that are not shiny and new-looking, an industrial-looking narrow yet sturdy loop and a formidable set of locks (photo attached). When I opened the package, my wife commented that it looked like something I brought home from the asylum. They're definitely going in the show in the show weekend after next.

Click here to view attached image.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey! Those have "the look"!!!

If I were still working, I would throw mine away, and ask Jay to make me a set!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Using one or more MasterLocks (Mini-Mysteries Book Four on The Magic Nook) you can use any chain from the hardware store, junkyard, or antique shop, skip the big center link for either a nut and bolt to hold the two chains together or weld them together. You can't buy MasterLocks - you have to make them yourself, but it's an easy build.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Jim
Why do you crash posts with your items for sale? No one else does that to you.

Note: I will not be online for a week.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I have quite a few gimmicked locks (some I made, some I purchased), but I really needed something I can get in and out of much more quickly. The loop chain worked perfectly (not to mention that Jay made it much better than I could have on my own!)

-Roald Dahl
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, Rook wrote:
I have quite a few gimmicked locks (some I made, some I purchased), but I really needed something I can get in and out of much more quickly. The loop chain worked perfectly (not to mention that Jay made it much better than I could have on my own!)

And that is always going to be the clincher ... .some cheap crass e-book aimed at kids in PVC. V good quality escapology items! The manufacturers that I would trust every time are Mick H, Ian M, Jay L, Mr Escape (not that he is making anything any more and if you can get any of their stuff) DeVal or Riley. And a select few secret people in the UK who you can get to via Kondini.

Seriously you can not beat quality items from quality craft men! Snap up what you can and treasure it! Don't bother with Mr Gerrish ebooks - what I have seen I can not rate at all for escapology. I did say I was going to review but I really couldn't be bothered (that should speak volumes).

And why can's I buy a Master lock they have loads at the local B&Q.....
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Dave,
Your pal Roslyn seems to disagree about Jim's e-books. So do I. Jim is not touting some of the fine "lock smith designed" equipment you are speaking of. Jim is selling plans for a do it yourselfer to do it himself. The quality will vary with the maker in that case. I think some of Jim's stuff is excellent. His escape section does not deal (mostly) with the technical gimmicks you are speaking of, but a simpler and well thought out and well conceived way to build an escape apparatus.

Instead of saying "Don't bother with his e-books" How about telling the truth. The truth is you don't care for the stuff you have read from Jim. You are certainly entitled to that opinion, but it is YOUR opinion. How many of his e-books have you read Dave? I have purchased and enjoyed many. Some I have built, some I have improved, and some I will admit did not serve me the way I hoped. So what. I will continue to purchase from Jim if I see stuff that piques my interest.

I remind you again the sub title of the web site you are bad mouthing. "Do it yourself magic for I built it myself magicians."

For those who want to see what we are talking about first hand, go to http://www.magicnook.com
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It's not a "Master Lock", Dave, but a "MasterLock." There's a difference. One you can buy at the local hardware store, and the other appears to be the same but has been gimmicked in a special way. There. I've saved you from having to buy my e-Book so you can run back here and tell everyone the secret. For anyone who feels harmed by my "crashing" this discussion with an alternate solution to a common problem, please feel free to go off and sulk.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Errrr so back to being on topic. Nice chain cuffs that Jay Lesley made for you.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, Rook wrote:
During the course of another message, I had posted a query about a source for loop shackles that weren't so chrome that they screamed "magic shop purchase." Jay stepped via PM and offered me a set, and I jumped at the opportunity. I have to say that I'm thrilled at what I received. These are heavy-duty, beefy chains that are not shiny and new-looking, an industrial-looking narrow yet sturdy loop and a formidable set of locks (photo attached). When I opened the package, my wife commented that it looked like something I brought home from the asylum. They're definitely going in the show in the show weekend after next.

Rook

Did you order through the Custom section of this web site?: www.thehouseofenchantment.com/
NotSoWise
View Profile
New user
victoria,bc
73 Posts

Profile of NotSoWise
Rook - those look like excellent cuffs! How are you enjoying them now you've had a chance to "play" with them?

Is this something jay custom made for you, or does he just so happen to have some "laying around?"
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Dave: Actually, Jay and I contacted backchannel via email, but I'm sure he'd respond well to the custom link as well.

NotSoWise: Thanks, I am indeed enjoying them. It took a while to become accustomed to the narrower loop (the store-bought ones are indeed larger), and it took a bit of practice (roughly 10 minutes) to get the feel for them, but it's well worth the more legitimate appearance. This is a custom-made set, but at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended.

-Roald Dahl
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I found some unplated chain in case someone else needs something.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Loop Shackles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL