The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Name of self-working gambling trick from Ricky Jay (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
This is a simple poker-hand trick where the spectator chooses a card, then you choose one, etc. The spectator is even offered an ace (who wouldn't want an ace?). In the end, the spectator always loses. I remember once performing this, but have now forgotten it; even though its very simple and self working. If I just remember the name, I think I can remember how to do it!!! Lynn
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Not sure, I am a bit busy, a quick guess is 10 card poker or something like that.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MKoeppel
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of MKoeppel
Yes, this would be the Ten Card Poker deal. There are thousands of variations. You might want to check out Bob Farmer's "The Bammo Ten Card Deal Dossier" which was just released. Among others it also contains Ricky Jay's version.

HTH, markus
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
If you're referring to the trick Ricky did on The Tonight Show last year, it is not the Ten Card Poker Deal in the sense that it doesn't use a Jonah card. While the result may be similar, the trick Ricky did is typically not repeated (whereas the standard TCPD often is) and you can get results like a Royal Flush beating the spectator's hand (which isn't possible with the standard TCPD).

What RJ did is....something else.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
I always enjoy this...

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Ron Conley
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Ron Conley
The verbal technique Ricky's using is a milder variation of the ruff hustle, when done full force the victim has to leave, fight or bet on something he can't win at.
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
The version that Ricky Jay performed on the Tonight Show last year can be found in the Jon Racherbaumer e book Jonah Ploys but believe it is also in the recently released Bob Farmer book.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
The 'correctly structured drama' was exactly what I was thinking about. Thanx Kabbalah. There are many 10 card poker deals; but this has always seemed the strongest, esp when the spectator gets to prefer one card over another. No matter how much you shuffle the cards, the magician will always trump. Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Name of self-working gambling trick from Ricky Jay (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL