The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from a performer in NYC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

whatsilliness
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of whatsilliness
Hello All -- I have been lurking here for months now, and decided to finally stop being a creeper and create an account. : )

A lot of invaluable information here - thank you for it.

I am not interested in becoming a proper magician (for trade shows, etc) but I have been incorporating the unique storytelling abilities of the craft of magic into some of my work.

I look forward to learning more.

Thank you all for being here!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome whatsilliness,

If you don't want to become a proper Magician, you'll have to join the ranks of improper Magicians here at the Café (and believe me, that is the larger sub set of Magicians).

Are you a Story Teller?

-Mary Mowder
whatsilliness
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of whatsilliness
Haha, hello Mary--

your comment made me laugh. I really didn't know how to characterize the true, skilled, craftsman and artist of the, well, Proper Magician. The Magistrate?

yes, I'm a performer and so work with story.

I have been working the children's entertainment circuit and doing basic, basic bits.

Interested in diving a little deeper.

Am doing my finger exercises pretty regularly :+)

And you? who and by which path have you come here?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My Partner Tom convinced me I should get involved with Magic in 1980 and became my mentor. I was already an Adult so I'm quite envious of those who started young.

Tom and I did shows together during my apprenticeship and beyond. Eventually Tom decided not to perform for Kids and I kept at it (I really consider them as Family shows and I love them). The bulk of my shows are for Family groups, Libraries and Birthday Parties.

I also perform Close-Up Magic for Adult gatherings (I'm probably most skilled at Close-Up) and Stand Up for Adults as well but not as often.

-Mary Mowder
RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
Welcome whatsilliness, from one improper mage to another :o)
This place rocks big time, lots of friendly folks, all in pursuit of magical goodness, you will fit right in!
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On May 20, 2015, whatsilliness wrote:
................. but I have been incorporating the unique storytelling abilities of the craft of magic into some of my work.

Good for you! My personal opinion is that a story, with a little magical twist, increases the audience interest in what you are doing. I used to do a Hopping Half coin routine but it wasn't until I incorporated a story of John Kennedy, the ladies man (the Kennedy half dollar) visiting Queen Elizabeth, the lonely queen (the English penny) that the routine really rocked and generated so much laughter. Stories really do make magic more fun.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from a performer in NYC (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL