The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Video Selection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
I finally got money to buy any video or dvd and I dont know what to choose can anyone give me advise?
:smiletear:
Im going for Jeff Mcbrides Card manipulation volume one unless my mind is changed by any of you.Smile

Wikiro Smile
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
For any of us to answer that question, we will first need to know what types of magic you are most interested in learning, and how much you already know. If you are an absolute beginner, then I'm not sure the McBride videos are the best place to start.

Jim
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
If its Cards or Coins or general magic then I think all will reconmend the Easy to Master Series by Michael Ammar.

He breaks everything down in detail with descriptions that you will understand.

It is hard not to learn techniques or routines from Michael.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Im a card, fire, coins and origami kind of guy Smile

You couldnt tell? Smile
Hehe just kiding Smile

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Hi,
why would you like to buy videos? Why don't you buy books? They are not so expensive and you get much more material and routines and in my opinion better descriptions...
Hannes
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
I'm not what you call a good reader and I have got books to last me for a long time Smile

-Most of Jean Hugards books
-Cyclopedia to Card Magic: A complete course
-And a good deal of online books like Expert at the card table, Paper magic, and other old out of date books
Smile

Wikiro

Tomorrow I'm going to order Jeff McBride, I need tips and FAST! Smile

Also What are some good books that I should buy?

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Hi,
You haven't already said, what you are interested in exactly. If you are interested in close up magic, the McBride videos are not the right thing. If you are interested in manipulations and you want to develope your own new stage act and you need to know everything about manipulations of coins, balls, cards and thimbles, the McBride videos are exactly what you are looking for.
I cannot say which books you should buy.

My favourites are:
Royal road to card magic
Card college
Secrets of Brother John Hamman
Jennings 67
Art of Astonishment
Annemans Card Magic

But what's right for you depends on what you are interested in exactly
Hannes
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Close-up is my favorite. Smile

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Earl
View Profile
New user
Paris
17 Posts

Profile of Earl
Wikiro,

If you can buy a book, I'd also recommend Worlds Beyond by Paul Curry. It's a very good book, mainly on card magic.

See: http://www.themagiccafe.com/archive1/vie......forum=29

Earl.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
For close up with cards, I suggest you buy the series of "Card College" books by Roberto Giobbi.

For a great collection of close up card magic, I agree with a prior post: the Mike Ammar Easy to Master Card Miracles has a lot of killer magic.

If you really want to get into sleight of hand with cards, then Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights is invaluable.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Hey Wikiro to chime in with the other guys, if closeup is your bag than the McBride videos will not have a whole lot of useful stuff (although volume 1 is mostly flourishes (Fans, cuts, springing the cards) which you could incorporate into your already good routine if you have one). If you don't already have a solid closeup repetoire though the flourishes won't do you a whole lot of good, as Jeff says they are just moments in between your magic. Micheal Ammars Easy to Master Card Miracles has some awesome stuff.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
But Im into productions and all that now you see it now you dont stuff. Also Jeffs work can be performed on the street or anywhere without gimmicked-cards. Smile

But Im also really heavy into ace assemblies and card swithing has my fancy. Like the tilt bout or the first trick in "Expert at the card table" Smile

I love tricks that make a spectator think that they know what I did but in the end are
fooled. Smile

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
In that case you may like it; however, regarding productions on the street...probably not, most are way too angly for use except on a stage. At anyrate...

-Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Video Selection (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL