The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Sun/Moon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Anyone have a copy of the basic instructions for this? I've probably had every gaff ever made but I can't remember what to do with my set of coins.

If you want to email a pdf, scan of something... just PM me for my email address.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
See Bobo. Although I could be wrong, I think Al Goshman, whose version appears in Bobo, was the originator of this effect.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Thanks,

Yes... I have BoBo's book. Never thought about that.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Some additional references, courtesy of LawrenceO, originally posted here: http://tinyurl.com/ojhs8ux

Quote:
On May 6, 2009, Lawrence O wrote:
No the S&M coin(s) is much more complex than a C/S. Don't feel bad however, very few people know about the gaff. The good point however is that a smaller number of routine has been developed and therefore it is easier to be creative on this less explored ground.

The routines which exist however clearly show the great potential of this gimmick.

Goshman, Albert. Modern Coin Magic by J. B. Bobo: The Sun And Moon.
Kaps, Fred (edited by Pete Biro): Fred Kaps Lecture Book 1972 Magic Inc. P 6 Sun and Moon in Spectator's Hand: half and penny exchange in specs hand (uses Half, C/S, English Penny Shell)

Klause, Roger. Richard’s Almanach. p. 150: Soleil et Lune. & COINvention Inaugural Collection DVD. A very clean fantastic routine with a perfect dramatic presentation by its author. The concept of the shell starting over the C/S which is then transferred over the copper coin supplying two C/S coins, and the way it is used, is brilliant and opens unexplored possibilities.

Latta, Geoff: NY coin DVD Copper Silver Vol 4. Sun and Moon. In the bonus section, Geoff presents some good variants around the concept of eclipse. His patter would profit from knowledge of the conundrum of the sphinx to Oedipus.

Neighbors, David: Coinjurer DVD Winged copper-silver and Triple Change Wild Coin & Japan notes p. 18:Triple change wild & Heavy work made easy notes p. 25 Still tap dancing & Here comes the sun …and the moon and Advanced Routines for the Ultimate Wild Coin Gimmick

Price, Barry: Escamotage 1 booklet: Sun, Moon & Beyond.

Thompson, Rob : Samoya DVD Apl 2009

Wild, Mike. Tavern Magic 2. 4 illusions with the Sun and Moon. Total Eclipse, Quantum Mechanics, Premonition V, Equinox.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Http://www.iwantthattrick.com
This is a link to Rob Thompson's Samoya.
A very pretty routine IMO.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
That's a great compilation by Lawrence O, inigmntoya. Thanks for re-posting it.

The Goshman routine does involve a move that many, including me, find difficult.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On May 31, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
That's a great compilation by Lawrence O, inigmntoya. Thanks for re-posting it.

The Goshman routine does involve a move that many, including me, find difficult.

Try the Samoya routine. Much easier to execute and it looks even better in my opinion.

Jim
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Thanks Jim. I'll check it out.
Roy Rocha
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Roy Rocha
I'll second SAMOYA. Solid routine.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
SAMOYA is a fun routine.
I also like the Latta Routine.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Remember, SAMOYA requires a special Sun Moon set. The copper shell needs to be expanded.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, taller8 wrote:
Remember, SAMOYA requires a special Sun Moon set. The copper shell needs to be expanded.

You can use Todd Lassen's clad UWC set or any of his clad Sun and Moon sets, Ike, Kennedy Half $, and US Quarter sets. All are priced very reasonably and I believe that he still has some Ike sets left.

In my opinion the biggest issue around this is the fact that Rob Thompson's product page for the Samoya DVD doesn’t mention this at all. Since no gaffed coins are available with the DVD I think he should at least mention that you need something beyond a "normal" Sun and Moon set. But, hey: that's me!

Jim
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Another vote for Samoya. I'm NOT a coin guy, but this sure makes me look like one.
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Great suggestion by Jim!

Todd Lassen's Ike dollar Sun and Moon sets sold on his commercial site is an exellent bargain and sets you up perfectly to perform Samoya the way it should be performed.

This set has his name on it so you get the very same highest quality.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Todd Lassen sells his sun and moon with the matching additional coins. Jonathan Todd Excelsior
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Sun/Moon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL