The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » IBM or SAM? Or both? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
I just joined my local IBM ring, which is very strong. We also have a SAM chapter here.

I'm curious about other Café members affiliations. Is one organization better than the other? Is it good to join both?

Your views would be helpful.

:bikes:
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
I think it's extremely dependent on the local groups. Why don't you ask your fellow ring members if any of them also attend the local SAM assembly meetings. If not, why not? Then check it out for yourself.
:pepper:
rvigon
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
266 Posts

Profile of rvigon
Why not join both, surely it can't hurt to be a member of both, imho, the more time spent with other magicians the better "wot is a wise a man who learns from every one" wow, now I've added in my quote, I feel cool, lol No, but seriously, if you do have free time to go along to both, WHY NOT.
"No brilliance is required in magic, just determination and relatively clean fingernails."
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Depends on interests. I'm strictly close-up and into cards. When I did belong to particular groups I chose to select groups that catered more to close-up than to stage. Sometimes you can do this, sometimes you can't, depending on the groups.

I'm an associate member now. Not belonging to a particular group, but I can still receive the magazines.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Visit both without joining, then decide
Bob
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Blackwood,

rgranville, is correct (it depends on the people in the group), and Wellington makes the best point, you can go to both meeting and make a decision on what to do after meeting the members and getting a feel for what they have to offer...

Good Luck!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Blackwood,
I belong to both, but there is no SAM Assembly near me; however, I do belong to the IBM Ring (as a matter of fact, I just realized there's a meeting tomorrow night!)
If you have two available, check them both out and the people, and then decide.
Some clubs are good, some are average, some are terrible. There's no way to tell in advance. And it all depends on the people.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Being a former junior member of IBM and a current member of SAM, I'd say they are both great to join because of the different opportunities and benefits the organizations in those terms.
But in terms of Rings and Assemblies, you have to be far more critial and remember... as Peter shows, you don't have to a part of a ring in order to be a part of the Organization but its always fun to have a place (besides us) where you can go and feel like you're among other creatures like yourself.Smile

-Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
huggie50
View Profile
Regular user
North Las Vegas
109 Posts

Profile of huggie50
Visit Both in your area and then decide. They both have great conventions every year. A must see
Magically yours,
Huggie
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I've joined the Chicago IBM ring and I was pleasantly surprised to find some truly interesting individuals who deeply knew magic. Some also had more wit than I've seen in years! I'm planning to join the local SAM as well. The meetings are only once per month so for 2 groups, I don't see 2x per month as excessive. One needs constant exposure to continue to think in magic and stay motivated.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Pretty much all that has been said is already said above.

I belong to both National SAM and IBM, Local SAM Assembly 4, and IBM Ring 165. Also in the area a little further is IBM Ring 6. Every year there is the Magician Alliance of Eastern States (MAES) with a $15 membership.

One magic show pays for them all, so cost is not an issue. I like the M.U.M magic magazine better than the IBM Linking Rings but this is a personal choice. Each have articles I read, however, in the M.U.M. I read more articles. (They are very close so this is not a reason to choose.)

Go to the area clubs, look at their web sites, look at their yearly agenda and mingle with the members. You'll probably come to the same conclusion, a lot of members belong to both.
Dennis Michael
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Niether???

I don't know if its that important.
My father never could his three tricks
to get in. And he's probably one of the
most respected and well known
magicians our current history
in his generation.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
I don't know. Ft. Collins has a local magic club that's an IBM Ring. I've joined this club and my membership is well spent. On the other hand, I'm not a paid member of IBM at this point. Aside from the magazine, I'm not sure what additional benefits I'd really accrue.

JesterJ
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Join both- MUM is the magazing for SAM; good piece of reading each month. Then the "Link Ring," always is a great 'bedtime' piece. Our ring and assembly both meet on the same day- same time (combined)

Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Magicol-1
View Profile
New user
Orlando
90 Posts

Profile of Magicol-1
I belong to both and have for a long time. If you can afford it join both.
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
Both Both Both Both,
I am a big promoter of the idea that to get anywhere in magic, you must spend time with magicians!! IBM and SAM provide that network, and a magazine to boot!
Magic Geek
Jhonsky
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
112 Posts

Profile of Jhonsky
Yeah I think it's good to check out all clubs and decide later. Coz sometimes the level of intimacy and openness among the members would either hype you up or turn you down. (PS: Happened to me personally)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-03-08 12:40, Marshall Thornside wrote:
Niether???

I don't know if its that important.
My father never could his three tricks
to get in. And he's probably one of the
most respected and well known
magicians our current history
in his generation.

There is no requirement that a magician do three tricks to get into either SAM or IBM.

Some local clubs vary, of course, but in most cases, the clubs ask for "a performance." Usually, they set a length for the performance that has some flexibility to it -- 5 to 8 minutes, for example.

And a person who is a magic historian need only do a brief talk about some historical aspect of magic.

I belong to IBM, SAM and the Magic Circle of London. I don't go to many Magic Circle meetings, of course. ;-)
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » IBM or SAM? Or both? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL