The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cutting with a laser illuson need help with pyrotechnics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

allusions
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of allusions
Hi, I'm trying to do the Alan Wakeling sawing illusion. Instead of just using two big blades I want to sugest that I am cutting the female with a laser first. I want sparks or fire to follow the line of the laser as I drag it across the box simulating a laser cutting. I like magnesium ribbon but I worry it will be hard to ignite quickly and discreetly. Also, I'm worried it may burn to hot and burn my illusion. I also thought of flash string. Any ideas?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fire is not permitted in theater any longer. You may have a real problem, as it would have to be outside, with no one around to see it.

I suggest you consult a pyrotechnic expert and don't try to do anything yourself. You don't want to spend your life in prison. David Copperfield and others have done this before all the new regulation concerning fire in enclosed building.

They may not even allow you to use a Laser Pointer today. Check with your local Fire Marshall where you plan to perform, then get some expert references and advice.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'll agree with that. Rules and regs on this have become very stringent, and far more so in some municipalities than in others. Check with an expert.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
188 Posts

Profile of aheads
I would say that it depends which country you live in.

You can still have fire and smoke effects on the stage in the UK and in Sweden. Not sure about the rest of Europe.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
htmagic
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
50 Posts

Profile of htmagic
Sorry for necro'ing this thread.
Magnesium WILL burn too hot. And it's not easy to light.
Go with flash string. Add a little sparkle additive and it will slow down the burn and make it throw small sparks.
It will look good with a laser.
Best to check with a fire marshall.
Good luck!
May the FORCE be with you and have a magical day!

MagicBill

High-Tech Magic
http://www.high-techmagic.com/
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I always say that people fear what they don't understand. I've been doing pyro for about 30 years, was the pyro/fire director for Ceasers Magical Empire in Las Vegas as well as my own touring shows for many decades. It's really a very simple effect. Copperfields's Laser Cutting simply used some aluminum "U" channel and an elongated spring that fit inside of it. Some rolled up flash paper sheets were inside the springs and were ignited by a pyrotechnic squib at one end. Flash string can be used but is pretty small and might not create enough of a look to do what you need. Yes, you need to check with your local Fire Marshall to see if you'll need a fire permit to ignite flash string or paper in your area. California tends to be the toughest state for fire regulations. Others are much more lax, but you need to know the laws in your area or you could be fined if caught. That's all.
Ray Pierce
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
188 Posts

Profile of aheads
I was thinking along the lines of those birthday sparklers which we used when I was a kid. One of those laid horizontally would look the business.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cutting with a laser illuson need help with pyrotechnics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL