The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginners e-mail’s OK if you need help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hello everyone!

Hey, if you have any questions regarding magic, I’d sure be glad to try and help!

You may e-mail me at sblanda@inreach.com...if I don’t know the answer I’d be glad to solicit the help of Steve B. or Ichazod!

Sincerely, Steve Landavazo Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Better yet, post your question here, and one of us is bound to have an answer for ya! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
BeginnerAtMagic
View Profile
New user
Beginners
1 Post

Profile of BeginnerAtMagic
Quote:

On 2001-09-13 01:56, Steve Brooks wrote:

Better yet, post your question here, and one of us is bound to have an answer for ya! Smile

if anyone knows any tricks to do with an ordinary deck of cards "using 3 cards only" doing the multiple-push-off. please email and tell me. thanks!!!!!!
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Hey all. What I am looking for are good magic books. I am not interested in learning any more effects, but rather to read up on presentation, misdirection, character development, development of routines etc... I have more books on slights and "tricks" then I will ever be able to master, now I am looking for the extra something I will need to put it all together. Or is this something you can only learn from a mentor? Please advise.
He who laughs, lasts.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Mr Ed?

Go to your library or Magic Store and ask them for:

Henry Hays/"The Amateur Magicians Guide to Magic"

Marvin Kayes/"The Magicians Handbook"

Both of these selections will give you great advice on putting it all together to make it not just magical but entertaining.

"Being a Showman"

I recommended these books because they are commonly found at most libraries.

Oh yeah you will also learn some great routines that are seldom seen nowadays.

Regards and don’t forget to pay your fines before checking out any new titles.

ReyDuece Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Mr. Ed,

There is a magazine on this very topic. It is called AM/PM, About Magic...Performing Magic.

You can email me at am.pm1@juno.com for more information.

Cheers.

Tom Cutts

Publisher, AM/PM

About Magic...Performing Magic
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Quote:
On 2001-09-13 01:56, Steve Brooks wrote:

O.K. I´ll do it.

I´m doing the Cups & Balls now for about three years and it is a very fine effect but now - what the h**l is exactly the chop cup??
I´m a student and I haven´t enough money to buy this trick by the way - can anybody help me? Please send me a private message.

THX and greetings from Germany
Gawin

Smile
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Gawin!

It's nice to see a new member!

A Chop Cup utilizes just one cup for routines etc that can be very similar to a regular cups and ball routine, but again with just one cup!

Most dealers usually carry them and some fantastic videos have been done regarding the chop cup!

Vanishes, transpositions, and lots of other moves are possible with it!

You can also buy a cups and balls set, and get a chop cup as part of the set!

Gawin, I hope this helps a little!

Steve

P.S. I tried to PM message you, but had a little trouble.
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
Hey all. What I am looking for are good magic books. I am not interested in learning any more effects, but rather to read up on presentation, misdirection, character development, development of routines etc...

Start with Henning Nelms's "Magic and Showmanship: A Handbook for Conjurers."

It's a classic and still holds up well.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi there. I agree with Philamon. Nelms's book is great. May I also suggest to become a member of IBM and subscribe to the Linking Ring? It even teaches the masters something every month. I think Peter Marucci will agree with me. Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
UpclseNprsnl
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of UpclseNprsnl
I'm also new to magic, but have posted a couple of times. I am in the process of becoming a member of the IBM and there are some 30 members in the ring 198 I am going to become a member in. I was wondering what you all think about getting a mentor? I would imagine that many of these nice men would be willing to teach me. Would you advise this as a good idea? I feel that I learn better and quicker when I see someone do the trick than when I read it in a book. I'm just that way. Also, I am trying to learn the classic pass or riffle pass, but I am having trouble making it look real. I always fumble the cards and it seems like I hold the top packet too tight or something. Thanks for those who help.

Adam Smile
UpclseNprsnl
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Dear Adam, I am afraid through this Cafe forum nobody is able to help you. Since we can not post videos we can not do that. May be from this Cafe you may find some experienced performers in your area, then it may happen. What I suggest you, is buy videos on subject if you can not be in contact with a master. For example Jeff McBride's "The Art of Card Manipulation" may help you in learning many sleights with the cards. Passes, productions, flourishes etc.
If you feel that I may help you in person please feel free to contact me. I wish best in magic. Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

UpclseNprsnl
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of UpclseNprsnl
Thank you for your response TORA. But, I was talking about having someone from the local ring of the International Brotherhood of Magicians that I go to, to be my mentor. I didnt really mean someone from this website, I just meant the idea of taking a mentor in general to teach me and maybe if they do shows or birthdays, I could help them setup and any work they may need done in payment for them teaching me and criticizing my technique and everything.

Adam
UpclseNprsnl
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
You are 100% right Adam, I hope you may find mentor soon. At least it is excellent to have someone ready for your questions and willing to answer. I am sure by now you will be so successful in the future and we will hear about you often. Have a nice day. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
The Books of Eugene Burger (especially "the performance of close up magic") giving many advices for presentation. And Darwin Oritz book "strong magic" concentrates mainly on how to present an effect in the strongest possible way. I recommend this book for every magician to increase the performance level!
magic greetings, Martin
life is real magic
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Adam:
I've found that the local magic club has a wide range of mentors...that, from my experience, you may not want to learn from only one person, but from as many as you can. Everyone has something to offer, and you may get some insights you hadn't expected.

Now, as you learn more, you'll find there are those whose style fits yours more comfortably...and that's cool.

As for the pass, don't worry: I don't do one either. I was talking with a friend the other night (at the Ring meeting), and said, "I gotta learn a pass." He said, "Why?" Card control can be done through a variety of ways...and I'm still learning! But the pass, he said, is the least economical method of doing so.

My .02; YMMV.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Are really dumb questions OK too? I forget what a "pass" is, though I do remember what "controlling a card" means.

--alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Try expert at the cart table - free download at The Collected wisdom of magic talk.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2001-12-21 20:00, Mr. Ed wrote:
Hey all. What I am looking for are good magic books. I am not interested in learning any more effects, but rather to read up on presentation, misdirection, character development, development of routines etc... I have more books on slights and "tricks" then I will ever be able to master, now I am looking for the extra something I will need to put it all together. Or is this something you can only learn from a mentor? Please advise.

Ed,

Here is exactly what you are looking for:

Dariel Fitzkee: "Showmanship for Magicians"
Dariel Fitzkee: "Magic By Misdirection"
Dariel Fitzkee: "The Trick Brain"

-Nathan
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Nathan, given that Mr. Ed has had about eight years and a month to do his looking, my bet is that he probably already found what he was looking for.

Still, thanks for the suggestions.
Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginners e-mail’s OK if you need help! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL