The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » NON-locking $2.85 and $1.35 coin sets (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kleppy
View Profile
New user
pennsylvania
3 Posts

Profile of kleppy
I have inherited a collection of coin effects from my late father. Can find no instructions or patter for some. Others I remember well and can perform from memory. Can anyone refer me to a source for learning a routine/routines for NON-locking $2.85 set? I have two sets that are Not locking.....$2.85 and $1.35. Any help would be much appreciated
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Kleppy... You might want to check out JB Bobo Modern Coin Magic; if I remember correctly there are some routines there... the book is very inexpensive on the used market and it is also available as a download.

As to performing with a non-locking set; I would imagine it would be the same as a locking set... just don't pass out the coin (coins) to be examined.

Good luck,
Bruce
kleppy
View Profile
New user
pennsylvania
3 Posts

Profile of kleppy
Bruce-

Thanks so much for mentioning Bobo's book. I found my father's copy in my library....along with Tarbell's courses, Rice's silks and many others from the 50's and 60's! A cursory look provided nothing on the non-locking sets I mentioned .......but boy do I remember the hours we spent trying to learn those wonderful moves. Quite a stroll down memory lane! I'm 65 now and it's been 30 to 40 years since I seriously worked with this stuff. I have no children, but my nieces and grand nieces are begging me to entertain them. Thank you so much for your response.

Kleppy
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Kleppy... Good luck with your inheritance, have fun... And welcome to the Café.

Bruce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There was never a non-locking coin set to my knowledge. It is just most likely used a lot and became loose. That was a very popular coin trick back in the day. Most salesmen had them and carried them with them all the time. There is ways to possible fix it, but it is better to have a coin maker do it. If it is a Johnson Product, then it has a lifetime guarantee, and can be sent to them to repair for free.

There were a lot of coin makers back in the 1960's, so unless you can find the instructions it will be impossible to tell which one. Some did not come with instructions at all, as the routine is use the adding of the coins as they are placed in the closed hand.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
You will find two routines for your sets in the hardback Bobo's Modern Coin Magic (page 447 and 241). Plus routines for the 21cent trick set might also give you some ideas since it is essentially the same set.

As for locking/non-locking, all of my older silver sets are non-locking and I only have one set that locks.
kleppy
View Profile
New user
pennsylvania
3 Posts

Profile of kleppy
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2015, BanzaiMagic wrote:
You will find two routines for your sets in the hardback Bobo's Modern Coin Magic (page 447 and 241). Plus routines for the 21cent trick set might also give you some ideas since it is essentially the same set.

As for locking/non-locking, all of my older silver sets are non-locking and I only have one set that locks.

Thanks for your response. My book by BoBo is a 1952 printing and only has 353 pages, however on 241 there is a routine for the $1.35 set They are beautifully milled sets (the silver dollar is 1894 and in great condition). I was concerned about the Non-locking aspect but you have answered my question. Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » NON-locking $2.85 and $1.35 coin sets (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL