The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic climate in Michigan (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Hello everyone,

I'm not new to magic, but I am planning to move soon for non-magic reasons, and will therefore be in geographically new magic territory. I'm headed for the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area of Michigan, and am wondering about the magic climate there.

I'm aware of Abbott's in Colon and the big Get Together: is the state overrun with magicians, then? Is there enough market for another small-time performer looking to grow, or are those of you working the area having a hard time getting gigs? I guess I'm asking a pretty broad question, here, and any answers from people living in the region would be helpful.
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hej!

It all depends! ==Do you speak Minnesotan?

Youse gotta remember. Ole and Lena, dey don't live here, eh! We got Toivo 'n' Eino! So! kuinkaa semena!

Us guys up here in da YooPee, well, we don't talk much wit dem trolls dat live down below da bridge.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Ha ha--yes, I do speak Minnesotan, but I never was much of a one for Ole and Lena jokes. I'm not terribly worried about cultural differences; it's all part of the Midwest, and my experience is that there are a lot of similarities. But seriously, how competetive is the market there?
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm retired, from 50 years on the road, in ESCANABA (Upper Peninsula) --100 miles north of Green Bay on US 41. Which corner of Minnesota do you inhabit?

Peter Stobie is a very good friend (since he was about 12). He's now in the 50ish neighborhood. he lives in suburban Grand Rapids.

Pete is moving to Pennsylvania in about a month. He may be extremely busy "packing"! PM me your email, and I'll forward it to Pete. He has been very active in the IBM ring in Grand Rapids. He could give you a much more up to date "story" .

He's not a professional, but perhaps he could "bird dog" for you.

Brad Lancaster is full time -- a 40 miler. Gil Scott -- ditto. But, I don't have addresses. They're both from Grand Rapids. I've known both of them for "eons".

Always remember: "GOOD competition never hurts you!"

Hope this helps!

Dick

I've lectured for Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo IBM rings. I don't think that Battle Creek has an active ring anymore, but, I could be mistaken. Colon has a new small ring.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Thanks, Dick, I PM'd you. Anyone else who has a perspective on this is free to chime in as well.

From a Roy Rogers movie
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Currently it is 64 degrees and mostly sunny.

Expected high is 84.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Smile

From a Roy Rogers movie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is a International Brotherhood of Magicians in 2 of those cities. I has it all referenced, and then I hit a key and it all disappeared. So their are lots of magicians in Michigan. Check the IBM website for location and times of the club meetings.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Isn't Patrick Redford located in Michigan? Maybe he could give some input.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
There's quite a bit of magic going on here in Michigan! Kalamazoo has a great group of magicians (get in touch with Anthony Gerard and check out his shop!)

You're also a stone throw away from the American Museum of Magic which is one of the largest magic collections open to the public in Marshal Michigan.

If you come to the Metro-Detroit area you'll Find a few IBM and SAM rings. You'll also find the Wunderground magic shop - which is one of the best shops in the country. I'm also out of that same area.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic climate in Michigan (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL