The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Summer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
How's the weather where you live?

Where I live, it's a bit smoggy due to the smoke blowing in from Canada. It's been clearer the last two days so I hope that's a sign that things are better up north.

Wow, that first statement leaves so many openings. Smile But I am trying to be good. Smile

I thought of some myself. Sort of curious if our ideas were similar, but it may actually be the case that they were sort of opposite of one another. Oh well, we will never know. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
On a literal reading Smile it remains hot and smoky up here. Fortunately, Jasper got some rain which has brought the Excelsior fire (see OP) under control.

The forecast is not encouraging. Air quality is awful. First Nations communities continue to be threatened by the fire.

Hate to complain about hot weather in Canada, but...
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, imgic wrote:
We've been getting the smoke from the Canadian wildfires down here in Colorado. We've had an unusual patch of overcast and rainy days. Quite a change from 3 years ago when drought was threatening water rationing and two years when we had spate of some of the worst wildfires in history of the state.

Please keep the smoke in Boulder, Colorado Springs wants none of it!

Only if you all promise to keep your tumbleweed a down south. Was in Springs not too long ago and darn things were all over the place.

They're all from Pueblo Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
In Southern California we had rain over the weekend: a freak Summer storm.

First time the Angels have had a home game cancelled because of rain in 20 years.

First time the Angels have had a home game cancelled because of rain in July . . . ever.

No rain today, but humidity at 80%.

It was fortunate in a couple of ways:

• We're still in a drought, so any rain is helpful.

• There was a 3,500 acre brushfire on the I-15 just South of Cajon pass; the rain helped immensely in containing the fire.

It was unfortunate in that there were flash floods. Some people have lost their lives because of them.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Good that you got at least some rain, Bill. Our situation is not as dire as yours but we do have some farmers facing crop failure. A good rainfall last week helped the farmers and slowed the fires, but we're still very dry.

Mosquitos are down, but the gasshoppers have reached Biblical propotion.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Thanks, John. The rain's been pretty gentle in general. I'd love to have it continue for a couple of months in the same vein.

I've seen quite a few grasshoppers here - more than usual for this time of year. They ruin our tomatoes.

Thankfully, only one hornworm so far; they can devastate my chilies.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, landmark wrote:
Here in NYC, the pattern is the same as it's been the last eight or nine years or so: we've gone from four seasons to two--winter followed by summer,

Three straight days of 90+ degrees. That used to happen in August, now it's more likely in July.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
^ same here in lower Delaware; wet summer with hot, humid weather in between showers. Surprisingly our lawns aren't burned up because of all the rain. Otherwise, the heat would have browned the grass by now. In fact it's growing beautifully.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Here in Tucson we've had 34 days of 100 or more with a pretty good monsoon so far. Right now it's a wet heat.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Years ago, we were in Jasper and were talking with one of the forest rangers, who told us that what the area really needed was a good forest fire. He said that the trees were too thick for the animals to get through, and too thick for anything to grow on the forest floor, so many of the animals were being forced into populated areas and onto highways, and were getting killed.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

In a turnabout of fair play (?) American fires are now darkening our skies.

Curse you Washington (state) Smile

BTW ClintonMagus, you are right about forest management with fire. The thing is, they try to control the size and location of the fires to avoid devastation of species that require a particular forest type (e.g. Woodland caribou require old-growth forest, and there isn't a lot of surplus these days.)
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Woodland caribou require old-growth forest, and there isn't a lot of surplus these days.

I know nothing about this, so forgive my ignorance, but it intrigues me. What happens when there are natural fires that kill the old growth? Do the caribou die out (I'm guessing no since we still have caribou)? I assume nature accommodated this over the thousands of years there have been caribou. What is it about old-growth that they need?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 28, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Woodland caribou require old-growth forest, and there isn't a lot of surplus these days.

I know nothing about this, so forgive my ignorance, but it intrigues me. What happens when there are natural fires that kill the old growth? Do the caribou die out (I'm guessing no since we still have caribou)? I assume nature accommodated this over the thousands of years there have been caribou. What is it about old-growth that they need?

Before human intervention, they just moved on and found some more. Forestry, agriculture, oil and gas and mineral exploration have turned the forest into something of a checkerboard, and it can be difficult for such species to find new grazing areas.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Yes, but WHY do they need old growth? What is unique about it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Summer? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL