The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » To all the workers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Mathai
View Profile
New user
manassas, virginia
3 Posts

Profile of John Mathai
I have a question for all the real world restaurant workers (I am not yet): How well received is the magic you do at the restaurant? More specifically, what reaction or facial expression do they usually give you when you first approach the table and introduce yourself?
Most people I come across love to see a magic show, but I know there's plenty of people who probably are not excited at the sight of an 'intruder' at their table, and too many patrons like that could make the job as a restaurant magician much more difficult and possibly stressful..
Also, after you leave the table, do you usually get the sense that they loved it and wanted to see more?
I have done very little strolling magic in restaurants, so I would like to hear from the people that do this regularly..
Thanks for any input,
John
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
In restaurants where I've worked, I've used a table tent to alert patrons that I'm there. It serves several purposes:

1) It has my contact info on it in case they want to jot it down.

2) It says on one side, "SHOW ME THE MAGIC" and tells them to set it at the edge of their table so I can see who wants me.

3) It tells them that my performance at their table is compliments of the restaurant and that they won't need to tip.

I've always had good luck with this method. Usually though, the waitstaff are busy alerting me to tables that want to see me. I get a good reaction from each table and it's like a snowball effect.

Hope this helps some.

-Jon
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You cannot pre-guess who will like magic and who will not. This is where your personality comes into play.

You will quickly find out if resturant work is for you or not. How you can converse with the patrons is important.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Usually, the expression I get is amused laughter to my opening line. I always try to make my approach in an inobvious and slightly humorous manner, usually by making a comment on my own clothes ("Cheer up! They could dress YOU for work like this!") and moving right into a bit, unless they ask me what I do, at which point I tell them that it's okay, I work HERE and am not a random, wandering oddball.

That usually seems to work. Then, right in to something visual. If they laugh or gasp, I finish the set. If they wave me off, no problem.

Remember, in doing restaurant magic, make sure to check your ego at the door as you come in. It makes the job that much easier and rejection is not personal.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Generally, when I approach a table the look is quizzical; after all, the customers want to know what's going on -- they came for the food and now what?

When I leave, they (I HOPE!) want more. I want to leave them laughing, amazed, and hoping for more.

Finally, restaurant work -- from getting the job to doing the show -- is an endless litany of rejection; after all, it is much easier to say "no" (for the management, the customers, and just about anybody else) than it is to say "yes".
But don't take that rejection personally; it has nothing to do with you as a person, only with the idea of restaurant entertainment.
Remember, some people might be there making a business deal, some might be there because a deal collapsed, some might be there to propose, some might be there to end a relationship, and some might be there for a good time and a night out. It's up to you to figure out which is which as soon as humanly possible to that you aren't intrusive where you shouldn't be intruding!
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
No matter how skilled one is in reading body language and assessing people...You really can never tell about some people. Some peoples have lips that naturally point down in a frown. Naturally, they appear on the surface to be dour or sour, but underneath their heart could be pounding with excitement. Try the probing question technique and open them up. I remember when I started out on my first sales call as a stockbroker many years ago, I went from NYC to a city down south to make a presentation to a major Ford dealer. Well, his face did not twitch or show any expression during the entire pitch. In fact, I thought I saw him shaking his head no just slightly. At the end it seemed hopeless and I wanted to give up but I closed hin anyway out of habit and asked for the order. Well, he immediately said yes,became animated, and opened up and talked for 55 min. We have been friends and buz associated ever since. You can never tell for sure so don't assume until you probe their moods and receptiveness.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I am a lot different as I appear in clown at the restaurants where I work. My partner, also a clown, is a face painter and just sits at a table but I have to approach the people.

I walk up to tables with kids and wait until everyone sees me before I say a word. Some kids, yes and some adults, are afraid of clowns so I don't ever blindside anyone. When they see me I wave and say "Hi" and then start into a routine that lasts about one minute then end by makeing the kids a balloon sculpture (no swords or guns and dogs only on request) hat then move on.

I still get told "we're not interested." When that happens I just say "OK Thanks" and move on.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Maybe it's my manor/aprouch but nobody has ever said no to me/my magic. that said I do not really ask my wording kind of says I am the magician, I am paid to perform at every table, it is now your turn.
Phillip
Rob
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Rob
Maybe you just haven't been to enough tables, Phillip!
filem
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of filem
Quote:
On 2004-02-17 23:12, John Mathai wrote:
I have a question for all the real world restaurant workers (I am not yet): How well received is the magic you do at the restaurant? More specifically, what reaction or facial expression do they usually give you when you first approach the table and introduce yourself?
Most people I come across love to see a magic show, but I know there's plenty of people who probably are not excited at the sight of an 'intruder' at their table, and too many patrons like that could make the job as a restaurant magician much more difficult and possibly stressful..
Also, after you leave the table, do you usually get the sense that they loved it and wanted to see more?
I have done very little strolling magic in restaurants, so I would like to hear from the people that do this regularly..
Thanks for any input,
John

John, it is like asking how do people react when you say hello to them. It really depends on what type of people they are, but to a great extent it is also affected by you. Your looks and they way you approach them. Appearing confident is crucial.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Maybe you just haven't been to enough tables, Phillip!

Hi,
I have been full time pro for 14 years and 8 years semi pro before that ... So I have done a few!
Phillip
Rob
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Rob
You have never had anyone say no? Congratulations.

I have been a full time close-up magician for two years. Once I was working in the staff restaurant of a shop that was having a special day to launch extended opening hours for Christmas and the management had engaged me for the lunchtime. I approached two ladies and was told politely that they were discussing the fact that one had just learnt of her impending redundancy. I have also on one occasion been told that a table were in mourning. At conferences there are occasionally situations where you discover upon approaching some people that they are heavily engrossed in a business conversation. They don't say "no" directly but it is clearly an inappropriate time.

So maybe you *haven't* been to enough tables...
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
The worst they could say is no. they're the ones missing out right?
Cane and Able
View Profile
New user
The Great White North
82 Posts

Profile of Cane and Able
Just our two cents here,

Whenever we've worked tables or walk around, we try to pay close attention to which groups are involved in HEAVY conversation. If it looks like they are making a business deal, we simply avoid them for the moment and move on to another group. (We can come back later if they look like they are done with their business.)

We've rarely been told not to perform due to the conversation, because we TRY to make sure not to put ourselves into the situation to begin with.

Hope this helps,

Cane and Able
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
Almost every place I have ever worked has done some form of advertising that I would be performing or allowed me to. I approach the table, greet everyone, ask them if they have been enjoying their evening, and then proceed with the intro to my magic (it's a sophisticatedly goofy thing which almost no one can say no to.) I use to try and judge when people were ready to see my magic but after a few times of having customers complain that I had ignored them I go to every table regardless of their current situation (unless of course they are eating or some other common sense time when it would just be dumb to interrupt). But, even if the group is engrosed in talking I will interrupt them. I feel I am doing them an injustice if I don't give them the opportunity to say, "no" or "not right now". Those that say not right now I always try and hold them to their word by going back after a little while. People generally seem pleased to see me when I approach (unless they are just being nice) and I have never left a table that wasn't pleased by the performance, after all that is part of the job.

My two cents,

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
How do people react? Well, I have had people say yes, no, heck yes, heck no, without question yes, and get the heck out of here. After the magic, I have had people somewhat interested (teenyboppers), very interested, politely applauding (Brits), giving me standing ovations, etc. It varies.

However, I have seen one thing in here that drives me nuts. I have NEVER walked up to a table and just started performing. I always introduce myself, tell them what I do, make it clear that I work for the restaurant (and am not, as was said earlier, just some random oddball), and give them the choice of whether or not they would like to see some magic. If they say yes, great! If they say no, also great! And then I wish them a pleasant evening. I am not there to force my act on anyone, there are a million reasons why people might want to pass on the entertainment, and I am there to make sure people ENJOY the experience at the restaurant, not upset them. In this vein, I have had some more polite people say, "I hope you won't be offended if we say no," or some variety thereof. And I make it clear I am not offended. ("I'm used to rejection...I've been dating for years!")

But having been a waiter for 17 years as well as someone that dines out frequently, I must say, to just jump right into the act when the people very well may not want to see magic is, to me, the height of rudeness. I know I am not the only magician who feels this way, and I would advise any beginning restaurant worker to remember this.

:-)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
To me performing in restaurants is just a job. And part of your job is to offer magic to every table.

Not to perform magic at every table.

Some people are into a conversation or other things and once and a while they refuse the close up show at that time.

Table tents and a nice poster or sign at the front door are nice to let the customers know that you are a magician and you are perforing in that place.

Not just some guy that walked in off the street and started doing magic for people.

After you get a rep in the places that you are performing in the aproach is easy.

I hope this helps,

Glenn Bishop
http://www.mrhypnotist.org
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
Exactly, Glen and Alan - right on!

I generally always approach tables with children (not if infants only). 95% of the time, the parents are very happy to see me.

I avoid tables where people are super-engaged. I have seen heavy dates, people getting engaged - and divorced - mourners, you name it. What they all have in common is that they are there to do something other than see light entertainment. So I avoid them. When I worked Sunday brunch, I would avoid baby showers and wedding showers - those women are crazy! I would see tables where people had photos out and were showing them around - again, magic is not a welcome interruption in those cases.

I approach the rest of the tables with a smile and a friendly introduction. I make it clear that I am not a manager, that the magic is "on the house," and let them decide if they want to see it. My job is not to do magic for all the tables. It's to create happy, repeat customers for the restaurant.
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
I agree with Eric that an introduction stating who you are upfront is a good thing, BUT.

Sometimes, you have to remember that in addition to being entertainment, you are still a representative of the restaurant.

For example, because I tend to dress very well, better than the managers (in my own not so humble opinion), I am often confused FOR the manager. I usually defer this kind of attention ("Do you really think they would trust ME with that kind of responsibility?") and always introduce myself as the house magicians to tables that I approach...but sometimes, people approach me out of the blue, just assuming I am the manager. And when they do this, it is usually because they recognize I work there, and either assume I am a manager or have some sway in how things go. In general, these are people who need something done for them, as in all is not well (they haven't seen their waiter in forever, the steak is overcooked, the restroom is overflowing, the table next to them is too loud, whatever), and in these cases, while I usually tell them I am not the manager, my first priority is to make sure that I get things taken care of, by either alerting the appropriate staff or the manager to the situation, or sometimes just taking care of it myself. For instance, if they say their food is taking too long, I will assure them I will check on it, then I WILL check on it. And oftentimes bring it out to them. Or get them a refill. Or get the busboy to the restroom with a mop. Or call a cab for them. Whatever. We cannot lose sight of the fact that we are representatives of the restaurant, and our main job is to ensure that everyone there is having a good time, even if it is not through our own entertainment endeavours.

Just my three and a half cents.

:-)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
ksalaz1
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of ksalaz1
At the restaurants I currently work they have aposter of me in the entrance of the restaurants and tents on each table. THis usually lets me approach tables without too much guessing. Of course, I am very sensitive to the body language of the people eating and attentive to the conversations they are having.
However, you never know. One family was in mourning over a death and they thanked me over and over again. Another time, a lady at the table next to me had a scowl on her face as I performed next to her, but she begged me to come over when I was done and loved it.

KSalaz
"Master of the Obvious"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » To all the workers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL