The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Death Of A Friend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I just found out about the death of my friend, Jeff Golub. What's sad is that he died on January 1, 2015 ... and I only just found out about it! What's even more sad is that, having lost touch for a few years, I had no idea how life had been treating him.

I first met Jeff in 1980 when he was the guitarist in Billy Squier's band, and I was with Peter Frampton. Jeff was an outstanding guitarists, and we became fast friends. I hired him to play for me on several jingles, and we worked together on other recording dates (though due to conflicting schedules, not as often as I would have liked). We also hung out together, often partying with Julian Lennon at Yoko Ono's brownstone apartment in Manhattan (when Yoko was out of town, of course).

Jeff also wrote his own music, formed a band with whom he recorded and played live, collaborated with many other recording artists, and he also released several solo albums. His most star-studded gig was probably when he played guitar in Rod Stewart's band. After a few years touring with Rod, I remember him telling me he had had enough, and wanted to focus on his own music projects. So he declined the next Rod Stewart tour. But Rod valued Jeff's playing very highly. Rod even told me so himself one night when I had the chance to hang out with Mr. Stewart.

Anyway, Jeff told me he got a call from Rod's manager, begging him to reconsider, and offering quite a big raise in his normal fee. Jeff really didn't want to go back on the road, so he declined again. But Rod's manager said, "How much would it take?" So Jeff just named a totally outrageous fee (so high he thought they would never go for it). Unknown to him, Rod had been listening on another phone extension, and he said, "Alright, you ***! You've got it!" So back on the road he went ... socking away a small fortune!

If you read the linked article, you'll find out, as I belatedly did, that Jeff developed a rare disease which caused him to lose his sight. In NYC he also fell onto the subway tracks and was dragged by a train. And, as you now know, he died months ago without me even knowing about it. Makes you wonder about other friends you might have lost touch with ...

http://jazztimes.com/articles/151334-gui......es-at-59
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
So sorry to hear of your loss, very sad Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Very sorry, arthur. Thanks for posting this.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
My condolences, Arthur.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I am sorry for your loss and for your regrets, Arthur. Take care.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Don't wallow in your own self pity Arthur!
I had a similar thing, though it was over a two year gap.
I visited his resting place and had a little chat with him. It helped no end.
I've only ever been back once since then. There's only so much you can say. But, it helped...
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Not self-pity, Ray. Just kind of shocked that someone one knows can expire without one knowing anything about it.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sorry for your loss Arthur.

In today’s fast paced world it is very easy to lose track of old friends, I know I have.

Tom
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I know how you feel Arthur,

I'm very sorry that your friend died.

Keep in mind that he probably had good feelings about you as well but also didn't keep in touch. We just hold our people in our hearts and it makes it seem like they will always be there, and in a way they are.

-Mary Mowder
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I had a high school friend, Mulgrew Miller, who was a magnificent jazz pianist who played with some of the greats before starting his own band. A few years back, totally out of the blue, I found his phone number online and decided to give him a call. Even though we hadn't seen each other in more than a dozen years, it was like we saw each other all the time. In 2013 I got a call that he had died (he was only 57), and I was so glad that I had made the effort to get in touch with him.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thank you for sharing this with me...I LOVED his music!
He was one of my very favorite jazz artists. R.I.P.

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Sorry to hear Arthur. It's always sad when we hear of the passing of a close friend that we haven't seen in some time
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
May your friend rest in peace and my condolences, Arthur. As one gets older one sees more and more of the old school going.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks everybody for all your kind words. And thank you, Devious, for posting that wonderful Avenue Blue track featuring Jeff Golub. Beautiful track, beautifully performed. I'll consider it as a fitting tribute to my friend.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Death Of A Friend (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL