The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Daycare Center Marketing (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Hey Tom,

One last question.

You mentioned you ran a DayCare Center for 19 years. When did you exit the business?

The only reason why I'm asking is that maybe things have changed since that time.

It's just a thought.

Thanks,

Gerry
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Gerry,

It was a larger center licensed for 150 children and I enjoyed the business. But about two years ago it got struck by lighting
and was destroyed by fire. Just a year early it was hit by a tornado and we had just got over that. Not to mention, five years
early I had a heart attach. So I figured it was time to go. Smile

On the good side, I had been thinking about retiring anyway so it worked out. Life is good.

Tom
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
To those who do daycare centers "The Daycare Magician" book by Tom Boleware is a must have for you. I receive mine last week. His book covers everything from A - Z when it comes to marketing.

I had some challenges with daycare centers in my area because of the economy. After reading Tom's book I now know how to kiss those challenges good bye.

Tom, I want to thank you forever, but forever isn't long enough.
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
Just a thought. I do about 10 to 15 day cares a year. I do email to past clients. The marketing plan I have been using to get new clients that has worked well, is when ever I am out driving and I see a daycare center I drop a couple brochures in their mail box. No cover letter, no note, no stopping to say hello, just the brochures. I have booked 3 of the last 10 centers that I have dropped them off at. Day-cares are not a big part of my business but they will fill a weekday morning up. In the past month I have dropped off 3 or 4 brochures. I think half the battle of marketing is letting them know you exist. Like Tom said, he owned a day care for 18 years and only got 2 calls from magicians.

I think we tend to over think this marketing. Just get your stuff to a potential client, perhaps a couple of different ways, throw in a follow up call and you are way ahead of most performers.

Good Luck,
Gordon
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I'm no expert at marketing to preschools, but last year I did a lot of preschool shows (and summer camps)in the summer (my first summer in this state). I did send out postcards once, but 'm not sure that helped much. Mainly, they seemed to be looking for entertainment, searched online and found me and booked me. Why, probably because I have a good demo filmed at a preschool, right at the top of my website. I have good SEO, so most people searching for a show will find me. There are 2 types of clients you could go after, those that were planning on hiring someone anyway, and those that weren't but maybe you can convince them that having a show is a good idea. Some directors will call the same people they've used before (if they liked them) and not bother finding new people. Others have had people they didn't like so they want someone else. Some just want variety - not the same people all the time. some are happy with who they've had, but they'd still like to find someone better or different. In my experience, the best thing you can do, once they go to your website, is have a solid demo video, right there at top, preferable filmed at a preschool. and preferably have a seperate webpage just for preschools.
The area you are in will very much affect your results. I used to live in Eugene for 9 years and did a lot fewer preschools - I could have done more if I had marketed better, but anyway, here where I live now there are just a lot more preschools and they are more into booking entertainment.
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is about what works best for the individual.

Exactly! I used to try to defend my marketing methods. Haven't for a long time. I get booked. If someone asks me how, I'm happy to tell, but no longer suggest it's something anyone else should do.
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2016, Tim Zager wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is about what works best for the individual.

Exactly! I used to try to defend my marketing methods. Haven't for a long time. I get booked. If someone asks me how, I'm happy to tell, but no longer suggest it's something anyone else should do.

Exactly how I feel. I will discourse but never defend.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
For all my magic friends here, please check out the NEW Daycare Magician Download Book now being sold by Amazekids.
Danny Orleans and the fine folks at amazekids did a super great job in updating and adding some new stuff to the book.
You can download a sample of it on the amazekids site:
https://www.amazekids.com/magic-download......agician/

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A daycare owner talking about performing for kids at a daycare center? That is just crazy enough to work!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
If anyone is still following this thread, Tom has worked with Danny Orleans (of www.amazekids.com )to rewrite and update the book. I just got my copy and it is amazing! 135 pages packed with solid information.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Thanks Danny & Neale, I appreciate the kind words.

Yes Danny Orleans did an amazing job with it. And I want to encourage the ones that have the older book to get this one because there is so much that has been updated and added that it is like a new book. Danny stays very busy doing corporate shows all over the world nowadays, but he is also a successful kidshow entertainer too. Truth is, Danny Orleans was once a preschool teacher so he understands the business from both sides. I loved working with him putting this together.

Tom
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Thanks for the update Tom. I do have the older book, Could you reveal what parts were updated?

Thanks

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Hey Mark,

The whole book was updated really. Many things have changed in the business since I first wrote it, more than 10 years ago. One addition is Danny suggested that we include interviews with some other successful daycare magicians to learn about how they do business today and there were several pages added from them. Another example today’s fees were updated and discussed. The book is 135 pages now.

You can download a free sample at amazekids and look at the contents section to see how much have been changed and added.

But for me, the best part was that most all of my spelling/grammer mistakes were corrected. I can see those writers at amazekids just shaking their head. LOL

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Daycare Center Marketing (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL