The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic for Seniors (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
At last week's Kidabra, Gary Shelton hosted a discussion of performing magic for seniors at assisted living and independent living facilities and noted the similarity between routines that could be used for children and seniors.

Does anyone here regularly perform in assisted living facilities? I've done about a half dozen such shows, but I wouldn't say I regularly perform there.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I've done several shows at senior centers. I basically did my family show, leaving out the tricks that I felt might insult their intelligence. ( the ones targeted at the very young kids.)
Ions word of caution. Just because these people may be older, and some physically impaired, it does not mean that they aren't intelligent and sharp. The easiest way to lose an audience of seniors is to talk down to them. It's insulting and degrading.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I regularly perform at these with and without a band.

Upscale ones often have a wonderful grand piano.
Listening to wonderful stories before and after gigs is a bonus.

I have met T. V. Stars, folks that used to your with ______.
Many are used to first class entertainment on cruises.

Bring your A Game.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I totally agree--you must not talk down to this audience. My take away from Gary's discussion was drop the silliness and replace it with kindness and respect. But some of the effects used for children could also work for older adults.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Here's something else to consider. I know a number of people who hate being called "senior citizens". It comes with certain negative inferences including cognitive impairments, and physical impairments which supposedly typifies the group as a whole. If I have reason to make any reference to the group, I will generally say, 'people of retirement age.' The only time nobody minds the term Senior Citizen, is when it's time to get the discount.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
My program, using my criteria, was planned and produced to entertain almost anyone, almost anywhere.

The props trouped in a 13" x 20" x 8" case, which weighed slightly over 20 lbs. It "set up" in 4 minutes or less, and packed up in 2 minutes.

I've done hundreds of senior centers.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
For the past year I have collaborated with a group that has created cross generational programs.

The latest was a play about Alzheimer's. This included people with personal experience as a care giver or one with that challenge.
The projects brings therapist, actors, puppeteers, musicians and others together to create and share.
It was shared at this years Kansas City Fringe Festival.

Through the Kansas City Senior Theatre, I have learned that it is not just during the summer that Libraries use performers.

Harris
still 2 old to know it all
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Another great resource is Jim Austin. ( http://greatseniorshows.com ) He gave a lecture at Kidabra a few years ago. Both Gary and Jim have a great passion for this area of performing. Not the highest paying gigs from a money standpoint but you get so much more than money from performing for the Senior "retirement age" centers.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Tim -

Did Gary or Jim have lecture notes to sell, on the topic of performing for seniors?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Gary had lecture notes, I quickly glanced at them, and Jim Austin happens to have a DVD set for $20, it has 2 shows plus another disc with notes. I am going through it now.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I've done a few shows at nursing homes and senior centers. For material I selected a few colorful tricks from my kidshows which seemed appropriate. Did some online research and found quite a few corny "old folks" and "doctor" and "nursing" jokes. And I added the Baffling Bra trick, using one of the staff nurses as my helper. It went over great and got the biggest laugh!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I do senior citizen shows on a regular basis. I do silk effects, a square circle production (6' butterfly), linking rings, floating table, the torn and restored newspaper, and several other effects. We always end the show with a large botania. Don't pop any balloons, or "frighten" the audience. And leave the card tricks at home, unless the chosen card doesn't matter. No one will remember what card was picked. Just my 2 cents.

Jim
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Jim is right about cards, unless it's a quick 'm' easy effect that doesn't require a lot of explanation. A signed card to wallet, for example, or six-card repeat. Also, if you still have an old color-changing-records routine, they love that someone actually remembers classic records.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
danielluskmagic
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of danielluskmagic
Yes I do them quite often. I design my show to be interactive with out them having to get out of the chairs. One that I use just for senior shows is the three ropes on a wooden bar trick. I knot a watch on it and call it "Time Flys" At most of my other shows, nobody wears a watch anymore. I also stay away from ripping up money like in my bill and lemon trick. Ripping up someones dollar can be considered quite rude even in a magical setting.

Just a few things I do.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Our band MoKan(Missouri / Kansas) ReUnion is sometimes described as "Oldies playing The Oldies.
We return for the 4th time to the same venue with a fifth scheduled for Christmas.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I like performing for Seniors and usually everything goes well. I have found magic to music gets a good reaction. Comedy, fun Magic works. I even put one of my kids routines in. One of the best compliments I got was from a lady that said, "Your Show Was Fun!" That is exactly what my goal is when I perform for all audiences!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic for Seniors (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL