The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Rising Card - Penn & Teller: Fool Us (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Chris Funk did a rising card trick on the latest Penn & Teller show. I noticed it was a Phoenix deck.

I've been looking for a "delayed" rising card effect like this for years. The magician walks away from the deck, which is in a wine glass, and then the cards rise.

Does anyone have any idea what Chris used? I know it's not Taiwan Ben's Rising Card Deck, and I don't think it's a Devano or any other rising card deck that I've seen.

Thanks!
Robert
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
246 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
I've just watched this and was thinking exactly the same thing.
I used to do rising cards a lot as part of my close up act (using Henry Evans' gimmick) but I'm now doing more and more parlour shows, and would love to do a multiple rising cards with a delay. Any advice on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I didn't watch the show but did the card rise on his command or just start rising on its own? If it did it on its own could it be done using a Peter Eggink "Haunted" type gimmick? I also have "Eject" by Mathieu Bich which is a delayed card rise- or actually shot- out of the deck.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2015, nattefrost wrote:
I didn't watch the show but did the card rise on his command or just start rising on its own? If it did it on its own could it be done using a Peter Eggink "Haunted" type gimmick? I also have "Eject" by Mathieu Bich which is a delayed card rise- or actually shot- out of the deck.

I believe it was under his control. I have since talked with Chris Funk and he said he made it himself. He also said it was very time consuming and rather expensive to make.

I understand that Marc Antoine is coming out with an electronic card rise in a few months that might fit the bill. He released one several years ago and it was noisy. But, he has fixed the noise issue, so this might be just what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Robert
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
Marc Antoine already has it. I saw this at FISM in Italy. He sold out of his stock and is manufacturing some of the orders as we speak. It is pricey but it has swiss electronic parts of very high precision that are under your control at all time. It looks great! as it has a slight delay in the card revelation. I did not see the performance at Penn and Teller but from your description it fits the effect by Marc Antoine.

Best

hbenod
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
He told me he was waiting on parts. Won't be available until September. This sounds like just the ticket!

Robert
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2015, Robert M wrote:
Chris Funk did a rising card trick on the latest Penn & Teller show. I noticed it was a Phoenix deck.

I've been looking for a "delayed" rising card effect like this for years. The magician walks away from the deck, which is in a wine glass, and then the cards rise.

Does anyone have any idea what Chris used? I know it's not Taiwan Ben's Rising Card Deck, and I don't think it's a Devano or any other rising card deck that I've seen.

Thanks!
Robert

Have you seen O.R.C.(Optimum Rising Card) by Taiwan Ben?

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Yes. The deck and card box are huge. Great electronic rising card deck other than this, though.

Thanks,
Robert
magic11ryan
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of magic11ryan
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2015, hbenod wrote:
Marc Antoine already has it. I saw this at FISM in Italy. He sold out of his stock and is manufacturing some of the orders as we speak. It is pricey but it has swiss electronic parts of very high precision that are under your control at all time. It looks great! as it has a slight delay in the card revelation. I did not see the performance at Penn and Teller but from your description it fits the effect by Marc Antoine.

Best

hbenod

Is there a website or link that Marc is selling this online?
Did not see any here https://dodymagic.com/products.html Smile
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
That's the web site. I think I'd email Marc and ask about the rising card. Perhaps he has stopped making them?

Robert
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
There is this https://www.pegani.dk/en/products/rising-card-no-9
https://www.aprilli.fi/magicshop/rising-card-nr9/p/16471/

It is expensive but very well made by an expert in electronics. Gaff is different from common Devano style "blocks" but can easily be adjusted to work like electronic devano. Gaff part is about 28-30 cards thick giving you 22-25 normal free cards or 40 double deckers. Also operation is silent. One can hear something in totally quiet room but in normal enviroment this is a worker.

Juha-Matti
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Rising Card - Penn & Teller: Fool Us (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL