The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July & August 2015 entrée: Jheff » » What is your responses? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrisant_lou
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of chrisant_lou
When your friend say, "Magic is not real" or Magic is just a trick or Sleight of hand. What do you want to tell or explain them?
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
There is really no response to that other than to say, "Okay. Thanks for your opinion." When someone says that, it is obvious that they don't like magic for whatever reason. Trying to force or convince someone to like magic is slightly better than convincing someone that they should like broccoli. You will not win and you shouldn't try. After all, they are right. Magic isn't real and it is mostly a trick or sleight of hand. So, stay friends with that person, but just don't show any magic or talk about it.

I know that some try to take this as a challenge. "If I can fool someone who doesn't like magic, I know the trick is good." So they will force persons who don't like magic into watching magic. Many performers who have wives know all too well where that leads. This is never a good approach, either.

I can tell you that when I started doing all mentalism shows, my mother whined and complained that she enjoyed my magic more and couldn't understand why I did mindreading shows. Of course, she had not seen my act. When she finally saw it, because I was booked at the Magic Castle, and she was able to experience the act and the audience's reaction to it, she was proudly telling guests that I was her son and she changed her opinion.

Just accept their opinion as what it is and continue doing what you're doing. Let those "non-believers" come around on their own. Or not.

- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July & August 2015 entrée: Jheff » » What is your responses? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL