The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Water to Wine change too slow... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
OK, so I saw a video of someone doing the water to wine trick and just had to learn it. There are apparently a few different ways that this can be done,... some that use some pretty dangerous chemicals. I looked for the safest version I could find and came upon this: http://imaginationstationtoledo.org/cont......to-wine/

It's absolutely great, but for some reason when I do it, the change isn't nearly instantaneous. I followed the directions exactly but for some reason it takes several seconds for mine to change. Somehow the slow change just isn't as impactful as the sudden change you see in the video. Not sure why mine would act differently... I wondered if it had to do with the laundry starch I got. It mentions "biodegradable ingredient".. so I wonder if there is something chemically different about it than other starches?

Here's a pic of what I am using:

Click here to view attached image.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
I went to walmart and got some Liquid starch concentrate... and some distilled water... It still takes a few seconds to change... I just can't get it to change instantly like it does in the video... very confused.
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Long ago I used this in my show but I used sodium thiosulfate instead of vitamin C, and potassium iodide instead of iodine tincture. The 1% starch was a solution made up from 1g cornstarch in 100ml boiling water. The colour change was instant.
I don't think the starch is the problem (as long as it really is starch) but that the iodine is being produced too slowly. Have you tried using fresh hydrogen peroxide or a larger amount?
Thanks for this new recipe, when I have some time I will try it out.

Richard
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

A good example of "Chemical magic", tbaer. Brad's mixture is probably better presented as water to ink - its main advantage is that you can control the timing of the sudden change.

Richard
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Here is a thread I saw today "Black water, Clear water" which I think is based on the same effect.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
The effect is also sold as "Think Ink".

Richard
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Thanks guys! Going to play around with it this week.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
In the end of Dan Harlan's first penguinmagic lecture he does an incredible water to wine. For sure the best one that exists. If you set it up within an hour of the show it happens instantly, although I loved how it looked when it slowly turned into wine. Oh, and they can taste it and smell it and it now tastes and smells like water.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
Sorry. I meant it tastes and smells like wine. Unfortunately I can't correct my previous post.
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of StanleyRosenhouse
I enjoyed Harlan's lecture.Great water to wine routine.
Stan
Kay99
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Kay99
Dan Harlans version definitely looks great
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Water to Wine change too slow... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL