The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Restaurant Magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grimrapster
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Grimrapster
I am 14 and my dad was a magician for a long time, I want to get into "Restaurant Magic" but again I am only 14 and REALLY short and I mean REALLY like not even 5 foot.... Am I too young or too short to do it?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Without knowing more about YOU it's difficult to answer. You mention your dad was a magician, what is your experience?
I will say this, it would be difficult for someone your age to be taken seriously by restaurant owner / manager. If you can somehow prove yourself as a professional, mature enough to interact in a manner befitting the restaurant's expectations, then you should try. You will be limited if the restaurant sells alcoholic beverages. There are people here that have done it, but they are an anomaly.

Regarding your physical stature that should not matter. I think Dan Fleshman, a popular magician noted for his restaurant work is not very tall at all.

I'm sure others will chime in here. I'm beginning my 14th year performing in restaurants and have interacted with many managers and owners. They pay close attention to the responses of their patrons so you have to know what you are doing and that applies to much more than your magic effects.
Good Luck.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
True, it's not you height at all that would make a difference. Max Malini was one of the greatest "restaurant magicians"--actually a buskcer since he would go into an setablishment and work for tips alone--from the past and he was of short stature. If your father owned a restaurant that might make a difference at your age. Here's a suggestion; put together a 7 minute set (about average for the time it takes to work a table) of material your family has never seen, make sure that the presentation and work is flawless, and the next time you go out to dinner--after adequate practice on the set for several weeks at least--get up after the orders have been taken, i.e. the menus have been picked up, and do the set. Stay out of the server's way--a big aspect of doing restaurant magic--and see how it goes for the folks. You might try working tables at your school in the lunch room with the supervisor's permission, but it's hard to work long tables typical of some school Caféterias. Don't get in trouble with your pops such as cards if they aren't allowed. And be prepared to get your "chops busted" by your buddies. I have guys your age try to bust my chops in restaurants all the time, so be prepared.
The other aspect of this, is work on your magic as much as possible, but don't worry so much about actually working in a restaurant at your age. If you work for the goal of doing this after high school you could very well find yourself doing restaurant magic to help pay for college, or starting in after high school if you don't plan on college. There is so much to learn about psychology and other aspects of what make a good performance that you need to know. And, get involved in your school's performing arts program. It's better to cut your teeth on plays than on magic for the public right now.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
'pops' above should have been 'props' and there are a couple of other typos. Give me a break, it's 3:30AM here!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Grimrapster
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Grimrapster
Thank ya'll guys! Smile
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Josh Jay wrote a book, Over Under, that you might find useful. It address the business side of magic for parents (Over) and kids (Under). If you or your father are a member of SAM, excerpts from Josh's book were published in MUM a few years ago.

Hudson
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
You're not too young or short. I'm in my fifties, I'm not much taller than you and it never stopped me.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Having the skills is most important.
You may want to consider using your age and height to your advantage.
Use what you have.
For example, tell the people you are a Hobbit with mystical powers banished from "where ever".
You can even dress and act the part.
Ihor
prestidigitation
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of prestidigitation
Penn and Teller's How to Play with Your Food
has some quirky little tricks for restaurants.
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
You cant be to young, and you cant be too short. Prove that you have the SKILL. Prove that you can use you skill to ENTERTAIN. Prove that you can INTERACT with them (people skills are important). Always remember that you do MAGIC, not TRICKS. You are not TRICKING them, you are PERFORMING for them. And remember that you are doing you magic because you enjoy doing it FOR people. And prove that you are not 'just some kid who does tricks'. If you can do these things, you can probably be more popular with clients than an adult magician is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Restaurant Magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL