The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Fast and Loose learning curve (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I have recently become fascinated with the "fast and loose" kind of effect and its possibility for a mentalist prediction effect. I am 77, mainly a locally performing hobbyist mentalist, and while still strong and intellectually active, I am not salivating to take on an effect that (say) takes three years to master!

So, I am asking three questions. 1) How long does it take to become proficient in the Fast and Loose genre? 2) In terms of learning curve, is there much of a difference between the on-the-table version, and the in-the-hands versions of Strivings and DeSouza? 3) What other question(s) should I have asked?

Thanks,

George Hunter
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
The sleight of hand involved isn't very difficult. Just a few hours work to get the moves. Learning curve is about the same for in the hands or on the table. Just settle on a routine and get the patter down. IMO, patter is what makes a Fast and Loose routine. In the hands or on the table moves are just a personal preference.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Hi George--
I agree with NicholasD as far as learning curve goes. But it might take you some time to create a routine that works for you. I learned the moves (many years ago) quickly, but it was not until years later that I polished my routine that plays for a participant. I'm still polishing, in fact Smile

You should look into School for Scoundrels materials. The book and DVD are considered the gold standard for this effect.

Good luck!
Jay
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I'll second School for Scoundrels. Pop Haydn's Fast and Loose routine is great. http://scoundrelsstore.com/product/fast-......in-scam/

John
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Pop's routine is a bargain. It has a fast learning curve. Chef Anton had some great stuff on there. Get that and pop's chain while you are at it. Makes the routine easier and it's a classy looking item.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Which routine does the work in the hands instead of the table.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Dennie Flynn routine in Nick Trost's "Expert Gambling Tricks." I don't mind an in the air arrangement, but the betting should be done after it is laid on the table. The versions in which the chain is arranged and held in the hands as people choose would never fly on the street, and I don't think is very interesting to the spectators--I doubt you would be able to get anyone to bet on such a proposition.
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Thank you so much for this discussion. I bought my chain today from ebay and was coming on to ask a very similar question. I got 2 meters so I can cut it down. Can anyone let me know the ideal length?

I'll also check out school for scoundrels.

Thanks!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
5 feet is the usual length. If you want to do three and four loop designs, or Cat's Cradle type flourishes (Sophie Evans uses those to explain why men and boys never win at the game, and women and girls always win), then you would need a length about seven feet. You can double it and wear it around your neck as jewelry.
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Fabulous. Thank you.

I've only bought really cheap chain (the kind that attaches a plug to the sink by the looks of it) for me to play with, but if I get on okay I'll track down something nicer! Smile
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
French Rope style chain is what you are looking for. Ball Chain is a bit difficult to work with, as it easily rolls out of shape.
Our School for Scoundrels booklet on the Chain is only $10 as a download:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p50/Schoo......%22.html
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Thanks! The dvd looks great. Is it available in the uk?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The DVD is available from www.scoundrelsstore.com, but the download of the video or the digital copy of the book are available at www.popsmagic.com
The Download includes the book and the video.
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Thank you. I'll have a look! Smile
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
The School for Scoundrels DVD (and the chain) is first class. You really can't go wrong with Pop's material. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Fast and Loose learning curve (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL