The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Does anyone on the forum perform Pickpocketing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I'm not sure if this is in the right spot, but here goes.

I'm a Canadian magician who has an interest in pickpocketing for entertainment purposes.

I have picked up some videos and some excellent books on the subject, but I would love to get ideas and/or tips from people who do it regularly. If anyone knows of someone in the area, or perhaps someone on the forum does an act, all the better.

I'm just needing some body to talk to about the subject. My practice dummy doesn't provide alot of verbal feedback, so I'm hoping to get some tips from some people who have been practicing the art of pickpocketing for some time.

Please post, or PM me.
JamesCoats
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of JamesCoats
James:

My name is James Coats I am 1/2 of the Pickpocket team Byrd and Coats, you may have our DVD, Mastering the Art of Pickpocketing. We have a Pickpocket Magic 2 day Teaching Seminar on March 27th and 28th here in Chicago. There are only 16 seat available. Please check page 29 of this months issue of Magic Magazine. If you have direct questions about the seminar please PM me.

Thanks,

James Coats
Of Byrd and Coats
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have Jame's DVD, and I enjoy it.

Also, I have a bit of pickpocketing in my routine and get some great reactions from it. Also, "put" pocketing has some great success as well.

If you want to see an amazing pickpocket artist, check out Apollo. He has been my favorite pickpocket magician I have ever seen.

Anyway man, keep up the good work and see ya around.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I'll second that. Apollo's the real thing. He can steal anything, anytime. *** good magician too.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Yes, I've seen Apollo work (only his watch steal on Guerilla Magic), but he kinda got me interested in pickpocketing in the first place.

The one steal that is the most difficult for me is the wallet. I just can't get it to come out of the pocket smoothly with my dummy.

Tips and suggestions on practice would be helpful.
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
What other books would be helpful on pickpocketing and mainly put pocketing?
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Theatrical Pickpocketing is considered a must for anyone trying to learn.

James Coats dvd-Mastering the art of pickpocketing helps you apply steals to regular clothes instead of evening wear at a CEO party.

James Freedman's Go on Steal Yourself, a small booklet worth getting, has some nice tips and ideas on how to 'borrow' items for entertain purposes.

Also James Freedman's Stealing the Show dvd is excellent, very detailed video on pickpocketing on stage. 'nuff said.

How to pick pockets for fun and profit by Eddie Joesph. A cheap soft bound book worth looking into. It was all James Freedman had to work with when he started practicing.
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
I have been confident enough to try it on stage! I think I will grab a few more videos and try it on a few family members! I am all for getting the most from my audience volenteers at the moment!

James Smile
Pocket_Picker04
View Profile
New user
Florida
9 Posts

Profile of Pocket_Picker04
I love to use picking in my performances (which are mostly at bars and nightclubs here in Florida) I use a two man team to accomplish some of my effects. My suggestion is to take what you learn and use it in new ways. The thinking in the videos is limited by what they can in good conscious teach to people whose intentions they don't know. Think of it like this, you have access to anything that person has on them. How do you want to use it in your routine? As an example, I like picking a wallet before I start my routine then using a vanishing box to vanish their card and appear there wallet with the card inside. Take that how you may it’s just my way of thinking.
if i show you a card trick will you really miss your wallet?
davidtan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of davidtan
Isn't this kind of thing pretty dangerous? Might not always get the intended response...
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Did anyone hear about the new James Freedman book and DVD ?
Long Island,

New York
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Yes, I have both. They are both very good. THe booklet is small but is packed with a lot of good information.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Pocket Picker04,

I like your approach to learning from videos. The real trick is "because I know this, how can I apply it to something else?" It is taking someone else's idea the next step to make it fit your performance. It makes us all grow!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Davidtan,

Well the wrong idea might be brought across, but the funny thing is you are a magician performing (I'm not so sure in pocket_picker's case.....just kidding) you kind of get some leaway when you do watch steals and pocket stealing. People figure it's part of the act.

Now you might get in trouble if someone sees you do the steal, and you don't return it. (like trying to walk away and reproduce it another time.)

But I have yet to have anyone try to sock me for taking something, providing I return it, of course.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Best advise.

Return each item within a short time lapse and without "walking away" from the "victim" or group.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I have an out of print and rare copy of 'Complete course in pickpocketing' by pierre jaques with a forward by Ricky dunn if anyone is interested.

PM me.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Does anyone on the forum perform Pickpocketing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL