The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September & October 2015 entrée: The Jack - Jorge García » » Importance of mystery » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Jorge-

Can you please discuss your ideas and theory on a show feeling mysterious?

Should mentalism feel mysterious?

Many performers simply present their effects with little back story. You seem to do a phenomenal job at weaving a web of drama and make the audience care about the final reveal.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Jack
View Profile
V.I.P.
228 Posts

Profile of The Jack
I think this is the art of Mystery so yes Mentalism should feel like that. I really try to treat my audience as a clever one so I feel that giving enough information for them to be able to follow whats happening is enough. Telling them everything that is going to happen makes them think about a method or how we are going to achieve that. Not saying and just doing, and using silence or gestures makes them wonder were I could be going and that makes them think and be into the show. If we give them information bit by bit they need us to understand what is happening so they have to be in the show to solve the Mystery.

I give you and example of what I do in a bar when friends or people I know ask for a "trick" as if I were there for their "entertainment". In silence I just remove a blue backed card and place it under a glass or bottle. I give them a look and then remove a red backed deck of cards. I show them all are different (in silence remember). I close the deck place it on the table and spread the cards face down. I gesture one of them to put his finger on one of the cards. Once he does, I clearly remove the rest of them and put them back in the card case and then in my pocket. I show to everybody the chosen card (I do not look at it). Once all have seen it, I put that card in my pocket I just look towards the blue card under the glass or bottle look again at them and say..."Sorry guys I need to go for another beer" and I leave them in that moment. Obviously they look at it and it matches... When I come back with my beer I just receive the insults... =)

I feel this is way better than say "Here I have a prediction", which for them is more of a trick. My way is a mystery because I'm acting as the mystery guy. And I show them what I do is difficult and that I'm good.

Predicting the question about how I do it? Master Mind Deck is your answer...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September & October 2015 entrée: The Jack - Jorge García » » Importance of mystery » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL