The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » At what point should one join the IBM? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Is it common for newbies to join?
I have a plethora of knowledge in plenty of areas, but my actual performance background is not in magic, and I am just now getting into the physical side of things.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in an organization, Race. If you have a local Ring or are interested in forming a local Ring and you're looking to network with other magicians locally, joining the I.B.M. makes sense. The magazine is filled with ideas, routines, and magic news and is, in my opinion, worth the investment. I joined as a wet-behind-the-ears know-nothing newbie back in the '70's and those connections helped me grow in the art.

It depends on what you're looking for.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Well, I guess I'm not exactly sure what I want out of it quite yet.
I do like hearing that the magazine is that valuable, though.
I noticed there aren't any Rings in my area, but I don't know if I'd know what to do if there was. lol
I do love that I can pay an extra $10 for the magazine in print. I miss holding a magazine in my hands, as opposed to all the E-Mags.
Bill Evans
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Bill Evans
Hi Race: I was browsing the Café when I saw your post. Since you say you are new to magic, the IBM is perfect for you. One of our member benefits is online access to Roberto Giobbi's "Introduction To Card Magic" which by itself is worth the price of admission. It would be perfect for you as it assumes you have never handled a deck of cards in your life. With a little work, you will be able to perform great card magic. Highly recommended.

Bill Evans
International President 2013-2014
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I should have probably specified from the start that cards aren't really my thing. I do practice with them at times, but I really just don't get any enjoyment from it. I love watching a talented card magician, but I lean towards other forms of magic.
I appreciate the post!
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
Meeting and interacting with other magicians is very important in my opinion. I joined the local IBM just under a year ago, and it has made a huge difference in my confidence and thinking about magic.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, I joined the I Bother Magicians in April 1950. A year ago, I got a "scroll" that proclaims me as an "Order of Merlin,, Excelsior" member. A few years ago, I had a "Parade" in the LR magazine. I knew, personally, two of the three founders.

As an 18 year old, I enjoyed membership. The magazine provided much in the way of information, etc. I would read it "cover to cover". When I had an association with Magic Inc. I would attend conventions with Jay Marshall, and help demonstrate in Inc.'s booth. That gave me an opportunity to meet many magicians. Of course, I also attended conventions of the Some Are Magicians with Jay, too. I even helped nominate Werner Dornfeld ("DORNY") to be the DEAN of the SAM, --and I wasn't even a member! Dorny asked me why I wasn't a member. I said, "No one ever asked me to join." He said, "I'll ask you!: I joined! Now, I've been a member for 40 years.

I was even an Associate Member of the INNER CIRCLE, with GOLD STAR of "The Magic Circle". As I mention, in the book, I am most "proud" of my membership in the SECRET SIX! (my number is 6 7/8).

So! Whether you join IBM, depends on YOU, your needs and desires! I'll send you a couple of copies of the magazines. (SSHH! Don't tell anyone! (I might be stripped of my membership, and declared "persona non grata".)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P,S,: The late (about 1937) Theodore Anneman, publisher, editor and writer of "The JINX", once said: "Magic Clubs have as much to do with magic,as Country Clubs have to do with country."

I submit his comment, without comment!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
I'd agree being a pretty new member, it's sometimes disheartening to go to a meeting and see everyone sitting around talking about magic, or even worse complaining about magic related things and there's no actual magic there.
tvmikek
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tvmikek
I've been trying to find time to check out a meeting at my local ring, but I'm really liking the I.B.M. magazine. There have been some good ideas in there for different effects. I've taken some ideas and added them in to existing things that I do.
JohnnyPD
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of JohnnyPD
I'm entering into this conversation a few months late, but I imagine this is a thread that could always use some bumping AND one that could be eternally discussed. In that regard it is probably a good thing. I imagine that the IBM has gone through at least some changes over the years. I also imagine that a local ring in my neck of the woods (Des Moines, Iowa) might be a lot different than one located in Chicago or Miami.

I am fairly new to magic as well and I've been pondering joining the IBM, since there's a local ring in my city and several around the state. What I would hope to get from joining IBM and getting involved with a local ring would just be the fellowship and potential friendships of some fellow magicians in my area. If that fellowship also afforded me the opportunity to learn and grow as a magician, then all the better. I can't imagine hanging out with other magicians and me NOT gaining some knowledge or benefit from their experience.

I do believe that the meetings are open to potential new members (being sure to contact the appropriate officer(s) of the group to request , which means it won't cost you to dip your proverbial toe into the waters. Another big benefit of being a member of either group and one that I would hope to take advantage of some day - being able to visit the Magic Castle

The only thing that has held me back is my inexperience with magic and my amateur status. I'm not seeking paying gigs or wanting or needing to find paying gigs - at least not at this time. That could change some day, but not for at least a couple of years or more.

I suppose the best way to find out if the IBM is right for you is to simply give a meeting a chance.
Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » At what point should one join the IBM? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL