The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first time... (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Hi guys, I have been preparing for this day for quite some time. Yesterday I decided - tomorrow's it, D day.

Walked into the city with the following props/tools:

Revolution inside a normal deck
Stand Up monte in top pocket for first trick
Royal Scam for 2nd trick
ID for final trick
A table
A long tent pole which I use as a wand
In my trouser pocket I had turbo stick (i didn't use it)

Found a spot close to the hub of activity, there was plenty of foot traffic. I just stood there, playing with the revolution gimmick.
I didn't approach anyone and instead let people approach me. I was there for approx 3 & 1/2 hours. Performed 10 shows and made $97. Very happy with the amount made, it's more than I expected. 😀

Lessons.
-The table cover blew over once due to wind. I need to make my act more wind proof.
-in half of my shows I only performed 2 tricks. I was nervous performing Royal ScAm - and it's not wind proof.
-I need to spend time organising the crowd
-Get used to performing an instant reset when I've finished the ID. (I had to turn down one group as I wasn't ready to go)
-I never used a name once, I just couldn't remember.with nerves I was more concentrating on the routine
-more jokes, the magic was great, but need more quality filler
- my hat line was quite natural, but it needs improvement
-slow down. (The 2 piece shows averaged about 6 minutes, the 3 piece show averaged about 8-9 minutes.

For me practice is very important, so tomorrow I will be practicing my lessons learnt. I will do it all again next Saturday. 😀
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
As they say in horse racing circles: They're racing this time.
In your case: He's busking this time.
Congratulations on getting started. Keep it up!
A good amount in the hat, too.
What approach are you using e.g. standing on a pitch, or guerrilla style? Sounds like a set pitch.
What previous performing of magic have you had? I started out busking with minimal practical experience performing magic and figuring that the place to find people to perform for was on the streets.
A good idea, as you have done, to note down your lessons. You'll look back at these in a while and wonder at how naïve you were
when you started out. I keep a write-up of my busking experiences, adding to it perhaps each third outing. Reading back over your experiences will give you pleasure later. All kinds of things happen when you're out performing on the streets.
What city/state are you working in?
The presentation makes the magic.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Hi MagicCol

It was a set pitch, sidewalk show in Melbourne.

With my performing experience I have been using magic as part of my role as a corporate trainer. In my role I perform an individual effect after a session of training. The difference for the street was joining the 3 effects into a show/routine, stopping them (my big concern), and making them pay. I have been working on the routine (slowly) over the last 3-4 months.

When I think about yesterday, many of the lines and patter that I practiced I didn't use at all. I Need more patter upfront as I pretty much launched into the magic as soon as someone stopped. So most groups were 2-4 people, two groups of about 10 people. The biggest hat was $19.

No problem on the transitions - I didn't lose people during the transistions. And I got better throughout the day of engaging others who were watching from a distance - a lot of work still required. 😀
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Thanks for the reply.
There's just an ocean/sea separates us...
You say " I Need more patter upfront as I pretty much launched into the magic as soon as someone stopped."
I think that rather than set lines to use, just say "Hi" and share your names. Then tell them you have a short magic show to share with them. Building relationships to help get them to like you is a key to getting them to enjoy being in your company and enjoying your magic.
" a lot of work still required." Five years from now and you'll probably still think that something needs improving.
Keep remembering that working on the streets is about you and them having fun. Constant challenges from meeting new people and
varying circumstances
is part of what working on the streets is about.
The presentation makes the magic.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
I agree 100%.

I actually wasn't too bad at getting a connection with the audience. I'm good at obtaining eye contact, and I shake a lot of hands, ask for names etc. I need to improve on remembering the names - and using the names.

I've listed the things down I will be concentrating on next saturday. (in no particular order)

1. Make table more wind proof. Already fixed. Smile
2. Take time to organise crowd
3. Use names
4. More jokes/quality filler. I have already identified 3 new jokes which I will incorporate next time, and I'll continue to add to this repertoire over time.
5. Slow down - to build more suspense
6. For ID, bring volunteer to front. Ask for applause for the volunteer.
7. A slightly more deliberate hat line. I'll make this stronger over time.

And keep on having fun!!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Also try to use the whole audience/crowd. let them shout or raise hands.
"do you want to see this say YES!"

how do you get the crowd before you start the show?
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Congrats on taking the leap. You will never be the same ; )

Let me give you one piece of advice. If you want to build a tip, 100% guaranteed, then seek out Don Driver. I've used his method for almost 10 years now and it works BIG TIME, every time. That alone will get you a huge crowd and you'll be 10 minutes into your show. Grab two more effects and mix in a bunch of crowd interaction and you've got 30 - 45 minutes.

As for a table, I made my own and it never blows over. Use a keyboard stand, and a piece of plywood as a table top. You can pull it on a little folding 2 wheeler and go anywhere.

Good luck!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Mr Rick,
Since you mentioned working an id in your sets,
I would suggest making or purchasing yourself
a jumbo version of the id so that you can work
larger groups with it.

You also mention using it as a finale. It seems
more appropriate to finish with a larger card trick
and it also seems even more impossible with the larger
version. As a kicker to close the id you could perform
the reverse and conclude with the diminishing deck.
Your mileage may vary.

Give 'em all you got Ray-Rick!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:

Thanks for the tip Robert.

How do I get the crowd before starting the show - that's where I at my most inexperienced. This is the part I have to learn.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, cbguy wrote:
Congrats on taking the leap. You will never be the same ; )

Let me give you one piece of advice. If you want to build a tip, 100% guaranteed, then seek out Don Driver. I've used his method for almost 10 years now and it works BIG TIME, every time. That alone will get you a huge crowd and you'll be 10 minutes into your show. Grab two more effects and mix in a bunch of crowd interaction and you've got 30 - 45 minutes.

As for a table, I made my own and it never blows over. Use a keyboard stand, and a piece of plywood as a table top. You can pull it on a little folding 2 wheeler and go anywhere.

Good luck!

Thanks my table is piano stand with plywood as well. Last saturday the felt blew off the plywood. I have fastened the felt so this doesn't happen again.

I will definetly purchase the Don Driver dvd. Thanks for the advice. Smile
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, Devious wrote:
Mr Rick,
Since you mentioned working an id in your sets,
I would suggest making or purchasing yourself
a jumbo version of the id so that you can work
larger groups with it.

You also mention using it as a finale. It seems
more appropriate to finish with a larger card trick
and it also seems even more impossible with the larger
version. As a kicker to close the id you could perform
the reverse and conclude with the diminishing deck.
Your mileage may vary.

Give 'em all you got Ray-Rick!

Hmmm. I like the tip regarding the id.

Is the jumbo version more difficult to handle?
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
It's actually even easier yet
Seems more impossible.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:

Thanks for the tip Robert.

How do I get the crowd before starting the show - that's where I at my most inexperienced. This is the part I have to learn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cummunication. you have to do something. make then clear you are to start in a moment. just standing there is not good.

have a device that makes noise (referee whistle / small and easy) blow the whistle / thel the audience the show starts in a minute.
set up your table. walk around a nd look at it. move it a few inches/cm.ask people ist it standing ok. communication. look at the people. make eye contact. make a chalk line around your table. ask people to come forward. tell them why. make a big P for parking if somebody is with a bike or something. draw a heart and ask a woman to stand in it. draw 2 shoes ask a child to stand in it. ypu can also use a rope. let people hold it in the beginning. MAKE CONTACT - COMMUNICATE. explain what you will do. prepare a few things. check that every 52 cards are there. give something to a spectator to hold. to check. make contact.

NOW START YOUR FIRST TRICK.

understand what I mean and create your own build. BUT HAVE FUN.

idea: jumbo cards are good. big and visible. I did a card in balloon with jumbo cards (hen fetch) you can use a spectator. the balloon blowing up makes tension. the popping of the balloon makes noise. the effect is great. Or do a cards across with jumbo cards. two spectators and some jumbo cards, big flashy.

p.s. I like the the ID effect but not for the street. why? You have to make it interesting. nothing happens until the end. people that pass by can"t jump in and understand the effect. that is why I used the jumbo card in balloon / jumbo cards acrosss. I am not saying it is not a good effect. it got a reaction but you have to see the whole picture. my experience told me it was not good for me. somebody wo does not speak your language will not understand the effect. one of my rules: all effects done silent and people should understand the effect. I am not saying id do it silent. but to many tourist leave because they can't follow what is going on.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Just want to say that I live everyone's stories in this part of the Café. How are the shoeless going
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first time... (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL