The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Blackpool - February 2016 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Hello!

I'm off to Blackpool for the first time in February and I can't wait. Smile

The lineup is starting to come together now and looks amazing! Who else us going?

Any top tips to help a newbie get as much out of the experience as possible?
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
I'll be there. My tips:

1. Book a cheap B&B within easy walking distance of Winter Gardens and Ruskin Hotel. If you haven't stayed in Blackpool before, don't expect much of your accommodation (though the breakfasts in most places are good). The vast majority of so-called "hotels" in Blackpool are basic B&Bs. You'll probably spend very little time at your B&B, so it's not worth going for anything fancy (of which there's very little anyway). But do check on Tripadvisor for reviews.

2. After the gala shows, join the crowd at the Ruskin's bar (5 min walk from the Winter Gardens) where you can rub shoulders with many of the stars until the early hours (if you have the stamina). Don't expect to get much sleep over the weekend.

3. There are some good eateries close to the Winter Gardens, though these can get packed in the hour or so before the gala shows. You really need to book a table in advance.

4. For a takeaway lunchtime snack, M&S is nearby. You can eat your snack at the Winter Gardens café if you buy a drink there (they also have a limited selection of cakes and sandwiches).

5. Take an anorak (Blackpool can be wet and miserable in February). But most of the weekend you'll be inside the Winter Gardens.

6. For the popular lectures, get to the room early for a good seat.

7. Blackpool town centre is pretty safe late at night but it's best to keep with a crowd when you can.

8. Have a great time!

Mike
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Wow. Thanks Mike! That's all excellent advice. Smile

B&B already sorted thanks to a great deal I found online. I like the inclusion of a bar, sounds like a great weekend. I really can't wait! Smile
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I had my first Blackpool experience last year and it was kind of brilliant. Don't go with an expectation of seeing everything and everyone, but if you see it as an opportunity to hang out with old friends and make a few new ones in the middle of a temporary universe of magic, then it's ideal.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
That sounds great Phill. I won't know many people there, so hopefully I can make lots of new magic friends! Smile
philip tilston
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of philip tilston
Sarah,

I have been going to the convention for around 15 years or so now - originally living in the North West and now in Kent. I echo much of what Phill and Mike say above. Look to book a hotel in Albert Road or Adelaide Street (both close to the Winter Gardens and the Ruskin) but do check Tripadvisor. You will make friends easily - just start talking to the people around you when you are waiting for the lectures to start. It is the most friendly convention there is. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions I can help with. Phil
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Thank you, that's really kind.

I'm really looking forward to it. Smile
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
The itinerary says that there is an auction on the Thursday. Is that normally in the afternoon does anyone know?

I've never been to an auction (magical or otherwise!) so I thought it could be fun to tag along. Smile
philip tilston
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

I believe the auction is on the Thursday afternoon (possibly to early evening). I have not been myself as I am normally travelling to the convention at that time. However, I have heard that you often get good prices if you are buying as many of the people there are saving their money to buy the new and exciting and shiny things at the convention rather than old books etc (where there are often real treasures and magic that no one else is doing).
Phil
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of old and underused ideas. Smile

Do you have to go with cash, or have all the stands got themselves set up for paying with cards?
philip tilston
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

For the auction it is easiest to use cash. At the dealer hall some dealers may be able to take cards but in practice it is best to use cash. There are a number of banks with ATMs within 5 minutes walk of the Winter Gardens.

Phil
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

At the dealers' stalls, cash is preferred unless you are buying very expensive items. Also, I've had some problems in the past when making high value card purchases due to bank security measures.

Mike
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Great. Thank you! Smile
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Is there the line up somewhere please ?
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
They announced a lot of the stars on their website. No itinerary yet though. .
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Highlights for me announced so far:

Hector Mancha - FISM 2015 Grand Prix winner (Stage) - unbelievable manipulation act.

Pierric - FISM 2015 Grand Prix winner (Close up) - brilliant parlour act.

Omar Pasha - love this black art act.

Jeff McBride - wonder what act he'll do this time?

Plus lots of regulars and some others I've not seen before.

http://www.blackpoolmagic.com/festival-2016/

Mike
TheGreenT
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of TheGreenT
After attending for the last 10 years or so I'm happy to say that in 2016 We'll be there as a dealer! Smile
Expect all your usual top quality rough and smooth decks
And a few you might not have seen before

My main tip: go to the Ruskin afterwards, I didn't know about this in my first year and missed out.
Attend all the lectures and shows you can; you'll start to attend less and less the more times you go, so start off well Smile
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Thanks for the tip! Ruskin sounds fun.

As someone fairly new to performing magic (after a lot of interest in the theory side) I was a little nervous that I wouldn't feel welcome, but everyone has been so lovely that I'm sure it will be okay.
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Can anyone please give me a steer on dress code?

I assume jeans are fine for the day. Do you need to be a bit smarter for the gala shows? Or is everything fairly informal?

Thanks!
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Dress code - anything goes. Most people wear casual.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Blackpool - February 2016 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL