The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tequila Hustler (161 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2023, The great Gumbini wrote:
Okay I have yet one more contribution to make! I'm including a handcuff key to this routine. And what I'm going to do is turn this into an effect that basically you'll be able to tell which hand has the rings and which hand has the key. I will give the instructions that you must decide if you want to be the detective which will be represented by the key or the jewel thief which would be represented by the ring. It dawned on me as long as you do this routine following the whereabouts of the ring in other words is the ring in this hand? At the beginning and then just do the routine as described at the end you will not only know where the ring is at but by default you will know where the key is at as well. And I think it will help to make the rules for The spectator a little easier to follow. If you are the jewel thief represented by the ring you must always lie if you are the detective represented by the handcuff key you must always tell the truth. I have tried this on my wife and she has tried it on me and it works very nicely and serves as a reminder as to which roll The spectator will choose. as always if you have any questions let me know.

Good magic to all,

Eric

I like this idea, but I'm not sure if I can follow. So in your routine, the participant has the key in one hand and the ring in the other?? Wouldn't that still confuse the participant about the role they play? A single object in play (key or ring) would make it easier for the participant to remember which role they chose.
My idea would be to let the participant pick up both objects, hide one in a pocket and then perform the routine with the other object which then dictates the role of the participant. I would then find the object in the hand of the participant using the TH method. But I would need an extra phase (as described in Michael Murray's routine) to determine which object was chosen. Then I would be able to tell if the ring is in any of the hands or in the pocket.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I thought it would be confusing to The spectator as well. But as it turns out it makes it easier for them to remember. However I do like your idea of them choosing one and hiding one that is something I definitely will be toying with! Thank you for the idea. I've noticed that people follow along pretty good but when they get to the switching of the item in the hand part and you ask him did you switch or not sometimes the role they're playing can confuse them a little bit. And I've noticed in some cases people actually have to stop and think about it for a moment. But it appears to be a little easier and I don't know why when they think about the key or the ring to remind them as to what role they are playing. I'm definitely interested in looking into the other options that are out here too using the which hand premise.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Now what I also do is when it comes time to ask the second question as to whether or not they switched I do remind them that if they pick the ring then they must always tell the truth even about the switch but if they pick the key then they must lie about the switch as well. Kind of just as a little reminder there to help them formulate what happened in their mind and how to answer correctly according to the role they are playing.

Good magic to all,

Eric
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
216 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2023, The great Gumbini wrote:
Now what I also do is when it comes time to ask the second question as to whether or not they switched I do remind them that if they pick the ring then they must always tell the truth even about the switch but if they pick the key then they must lie about the switch as well. Kind of just as a little reminder there to help them formulate what happened in their mind and how to answer correctly according to the role they are playing.

Good magic to all,

Eric

It’s great to see all the helpful chat on this. There are some very elegant options being suggested for us all to consider.

As mentioned prior, the flexibility and adaptability of this routine are among its genuine strengths.

Eric, I think it was Peter Turner who suggested the idea of letting the spectator know what question you will be asking her in a few moments and to make sure she doesn’t hesitate or falter, thereby giving the magician too much info, she will get a few seconds to think about what her answer will be - in the character she has chosen. I haven’t tried this yet, but it might be worth thinking about.
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I believe you are right sir. I do remember hearing someone mentioning that in the tutorial. It is interesting that this is the one area for some reason where there are certain people who have to stop for a moment and think about that. I'm pretty sure it's just the way our brains are wired. But yes I have found if you do reiterate a little bit of instructions it helps them a lot. And I will definitely take your idea into consideration and maybe start performing it that way where I give the advance notice to them. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Good magic to

Eric
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Maybe this discussion can be carried downstairs. It is getting pretty detailed.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2023, The great Gumbini wrote (in part):
... It is interesting that this is the one area for some reason where there are certain people who have to stop for a moment and think about that. I'm pretty sure it's just the way our brains are wired. But yes I have found if you do reiterate a little bit of instructions it helps them a lot....

FWIW -- I just now recalled that when I tried out TH on my "lovely assistant" (wife), she disliked the whole liar/truthteller premise intensely, as it made her very uncomfortable to even try to pretend to lie when answering face-to-face questions. In my lifetime (I'm 81) I've met only a few people who have possessed that rare personality trait of deeply ingrained honesty and forthrightness, which I've always found most charming--and in this case has led to very happy marriage of nearly 32 years.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

That's why I personally like the jewel thief and detective aspect. There's been so many glamorous movies of Jewel thieves and just the intrigue makes it fun for people to pretend. But to be honest so far with posing as a jewel thief in which case you have to fib or being a detective where you have to tell the truth has gone over pretty well. And I'd say it's just about 50/50 as far as what people pick so far at least.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Well had a chance to perform this again today for a few people and I came up with a new way to end the story. Using the two item method I use of course the ring and the handcuff key at the end of the theatrical play we partake in I tap the hand that is holding the key while saying I want to thank you for helping me solve this crime now I will need the key in this hand and as they hand it to me I tap the other hand and say so I could take him to custody the very elusive jewel thief! Then I thank the spectator for their help in helping me solve this crime of the century jewel thief caper! It was received very well to say the least.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tequila Hustler (161 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL