The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Appearing lit candle, real candle vs lighter fluid (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Years ago I did an act with fantasio candles, which was eventually abandoned. But I'm planning to start a new one soon, and I'm curios what the appearing lit candle is like. I had always found match pulls to be a little unreliable, so I'm wondering how well the appearing lit candle works, how reliable it is, and if it can be done with a vanishing candle (by pulling it open with a silk rather than letting it pop open so that it can be vanished afterwards).

On a seperate note, I found an appearing/vanishing candle that uses an actual "candle" top with wax rather than the ussual lighter fluid version. Has anyone tried these? It seems like this would be a major relief when it comes to set up, but it also seems like it would wear out rather quickly. Anyone know?
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
Without tipping too much here, Fantasio's book, My Canes and Candles, describes his version of an appearing lit candle. He also has/ had a product that had a flint wheel on it. This was very stage, since you really need to be at a distance from the audience so they don't see the workings. Michael P' Lair has his Spitfire candle which is an appearing lit candle. The difference is that you need a fire source beforehand where you don't with the Fantasio version. But, you don't have to snuff out the candle right away like you would with the Fantasio version.

The candles with a wax tip are terrible; I own two. I have never used it in performance and won't. The candle that houses this sucks even more than the candles that come from China. There is a cheap one on ebay and the reviews seem positive, but I can't imagine any serious magician using them.

And, you are going up an uphill battle. I love candles but fire cannot be performed in public. I found my own solution but had to make it. Electronics.
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thanks for the info.
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of StanleyRosenhouse
I don't know if this helps but a long time ago I had a vanishing candle that used the top half of a birthday size candle.
Stan
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2015, JBiesecker wrote:
Years ago I did an act with fantasio candles, which was eventually abandoned. But I'm planning to start a new one soon, and I'm curios what the appearing lit candle is like. I had always found match pulls to be a little unreliable, so I'm wondering how well the appearing lit candle works, how reliable it is, and if it can be done with a vanishing candle (by pulling it open with a silk rather than letting it pop open so that it can be vanished afterwards).

On a seperate note, I found an appearing/vanishing candle that uses an actual "candle" top with wax rather than the ussual lighter fluid version. Has anyone tried these? It seems like this would be a major relief when it comes to set up, but it also seems like it would wear out rather quickly. Anyone know?

I've been doing the Fantasio candles in my stage act for years. I agree with you that lit match gimmicks are not very reliable. So, I now use a lighter on a reel. I have to go into my jacket (I wear a traditional Tail coat) to secretly get other candles anyway, and the lighter on a reel is attached to my inside pocket. I go in, do the business, and come out with the lighter. Light the candle in my hand, and let go! It flys back in. I don't make a trick out of it. I just do it. It is only so I don't have to go back to the pocket to put the lighter back. But most of the time when I let go of the lighter, the audience laugh for some strange reason.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Interesting strategy. I don't think I've ever heard of that before.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2016, JBiesecker wrote:
Interesting strategy. I don't think I've ever heard of that before.

It's not my idea. Lance Burton used to do it before he switched to Lit Match units. He was in the UK back in 1988 for "The Best of Magic" tv show, and he popped into the Magic Circle. We asked him questions, and one of the questions I asked him was how he got around the Lit Match units not producing a lit match all the time. He told me about the lighter on a reel he used to use. But, he said, for the Lit Match units to work 99% of the time was to use red tipped matches, and the special strike on the side of their boxes. He told us that the standard brown tipped matches were the real culprits in the units not working all the time.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Fantasio candles are the only way to go. the wax topped ones are horrible and why would you want wax dripping onto you, your costume, the floor or other props.

i have been using fantasio candles for 20 years. took them out of the show as I moved into some new routines but int he process of putting them back in, love them.

i use match pulls that I make and very reliable. however I do change the striker paper every 6 shows. may seem extreme to change it that often but then again I never have a failed lit match!
so many magicians seem to want a match pull that will work hundreds of times and while that would be cool the reality is if you want a guaranteed lit match have a quality match pull and a fresh striker. period!

as for the fantasio appearing lit candle. I have this and used it for a bit but found it not as magical as I like it to be as it looks like a candle springing up and that is what is happening. I played with ideas of covering and what not but eventually put it in the old magic drawer.

my lit candle I do now involves using an appearing candle and flash paper and look much more magical.

hope this info helps and have fun with your candles. they are a fun magic item to add to a routine.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2015, JBiesecker wrote:

This uses a birthday candle you replace every other show. You cannot tilt the candle or the wax will of course run down the candle and may spill on your hand. Ouch!

This method was used in the original paper Vanishing Candle in the 1960's, this was all there was at the time, before Fantasio's models.

There was a metal one made by Thayer, and by the 1960's Owen Magic owned the rights, but never really had them available to my knowledge. That used a wick and light fluid.

Fantasio's appearing lit candle used a match stuck in the where the wick goes. It uses a special holder that the magician had to use to strike the match and release the candle all at the same time. That left the magician having to ditch the holder after removing the candle. This device was an offspring of his appearing candles in candelabra finale. This is only available from magic stores that may still have old stock they have not sold.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, StanleyRosenhouse wrote:
I don't know if this helps but a long time ago I had a vanishing candle that used the top half of a birthday size candle.

Bill Hegbli just above, just mentioned this, too. The paper candles, using a piece of birthday candle at the tip, were sold as "ATOMIC" candles. They worked fine when used as a VANISHING candle, but, the original paper ones would have been a bit "tricky" to use as an appearing LIT candle.

I haven't used an ATOMIC candle in EONS! The ONE "redeeming" feature was that you didn't need to use them soon after "fueling the wicks"!. The squeeze bulbs from medicine droppers could be used to cover the "wet" wicks on the Fantnasio candles, but schools would not allow any fire, anyway.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I agree that the imports with the real candles on top are not good (a little wax dribble and suddenly your candle is not as magical). I quickly tossed it and started hunting for Fantasios (fyi -- Tannens still has brand new white disappearing ones in stock). I also find that adding flash paper into the routine works well. Not only does the candle disappear, but it does so with a flash! I also really like the Fantasio color-changing candle. I had to buy one used from the UK, but it was worth the hunt. In particular, while many people are expecting the candle to disappear and reappear, few are expecting the color change.
tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
It seems like it would be awfully difficult to do an upward vanish using a real candle as the top.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I know this is an old thread but I just came across it. I have instructions for a vanishing candle that uses a rea candle instead of the gas canister. It was inspired by, and I have his permission to teach it, by Dan Harlan. You can indeed do the upward vanish. Dan vanishes his, as I do, up my nose. It started as a joke by Johnny Ace Palmer and Dan ran with it. I teach the effect, how to construct the candle, and an alternative ditch method for vests/waistcoats in my book Night Shift. Available at store@dazbuckley.com.au, it contains 17 magic and mentalism effects for stage and close-up.
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
Any new advancements in this area? with electrical lighters on the market these days? It should not be too hard to make an appearing lit candle that uses a button to produce an electrical spark with flash paper to get this effect.

I can't believe it but I just found this last one available at walmart! WALMART!!!! If this is not a sign of the times, well then I'm no wizard! well it will be mine soon! I will let you know what I get. I just had to Oo
~

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Appearing-Can......EALw_wcB
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
Guess what was in my mailbox today??? It is a REAL fantasio appearing lit candle with holder! That is correct. Walmart sent me a real fantasio and it arrived within 2 days! WOW!!! It is the match on top one. My vanishing candle is the fluid variety. I think the match will burn out a lot faster than the wick. So I will only be using this candle to appear and steal the flame with a fire kit into a production.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Appearing lit candle, real candle vs lighter fluid (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL