The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » An Unexpected Triumph - thoughts? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Anyone use this deck yet? Is it worth the $35 for. Gaff deck? Hoe examinable is it?
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Just like the Invisible Deck, the Unexpected Triumph deck is a self-working color change gaff deck as seen in the advertising claim. The effect indeed looks astonishing by the layman's standard. It is probably a perfect card magic for table hopping and audience who likes to enjoy unexpected plot. I can only guess that half of the deck is examinable. Hence, you may need to do a deck switch if you want to show it clean to your spectator.
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, SamChak wrote:
Just like the Invisible Deck, the Unexpected Triumph deck is a self-working color change gaff deck as seen in the advertising claim. The effect indeed looks astonishing by the layman's standard. It is probably a perfect card magic for table hopping and audience who likes to enjoy unexpected plot. I can only guess that half of the deck is examinable. Hence, you may need to do a deck switch if you want to show it clean to your spectator.

They claim it's NO rough/smooth backs or faces, no long/short cards, no deck switch, no sleight of hand, no magnets, nothing sticks to anything. So it can't be totally like the invisible deck. But it is selfworking..
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
I apologize if my statement was misconstrued. The point I'm trying to make is that Unexpected Triumph deck is a gaff deck with special-printed playing cards, and is self-working as good as the Invisible Deck. However, it is DOES NOT borrow any principle from the Invisible Deck. A good effect is measured by how it fools our brains repeatedly, not by how much we know about the secret. That's why I was always fascinated by Dai Vernon's Cups and Balls.

FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:
I apologize if my statement was misconstrued. The point I'm trying to make is that Unexpected Triumph deck is a gaff deck with special-printed playing cards, and is self-working as good as the Invisible Deck. However, it is DOES NOT borrow any principle from the Invisible Deck. A good effect is measured by how it fools our brains repeatedly, not by how much we know about the secret. That's why I was always fascinated by Dai Vernon's Cups and Balls.

Oh okay. I hear ya. And totally agree. $35, still on the fence about buying it. Im sure ill cave Smile
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
I guess the reason the gaff deck is priced at $35 is probably because you will receive a full deck of special-printed playing card, so that you can perform the color-changing effect with either the blue deck or the red deck. You might need just half a gaff deck and half a regular deck of playing cards. So, please clarify with the dealer if you can perform blue-to-red (as seen on youtube) and vice versa (red-to-blue). Anyhow, the Unexpected Triumph is generally an eye-pleasing effect to both laymen and magicians.
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:
I guess the reason the gaff deck is priced at $35 is probably because you will receive a full deck of special-printed playing card, so that you can perform the color-changing effect with either the blue deck or the red deck. You might need just half a gaff deck and half a regular deck of playing cards. So, please clarify with the dealer if you can perform blue-to-red (as seen on youtube) and vice versa (red-to-blue). Anyhow, the Unexpected Triumph is generally an eye-pleasing effect to both laymen and magicians.

Oh good point. Yeah I'll for sure get some clarification on that. Hopefully it comes with everything you need, and I don't have to supply my own half deck. Not that that's a huge deal, but still. for $35 I shouldn't have to supply my own additional stuff. It does look pretty amazing.
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:

You were totally right. You have to provide your own cards. A bit of a rip off. But whatever. Hope all in all it's still just 52 you're holding.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
It would have been much better in the form I have used it over 10 years, WITHOUT THE COLOR CHANGE! Not worth it in its current form...

Juha-Matti
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, FilmMagician wrote:
You were totally right. You have to provide your own cards. A bit of a rip off. But whatever. Hope all in all it's still just 52 you're holding.

Have you seen Juha-Matti's performance on his "sleightless" version of Dai Vernon's Triumph? If you send a PM to Juha-Matti, you can probably gain more insight into the handling of this effect.
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, SamChak wrote:
Quote:

Have you seen Juha-Matti's performance on his "sleightless" version of Dai Vernon's Triumph? If you send a PM to Juha-Matti, you can probably gain more insight into the handling of this effect.

Oo I have not. But I'll look that up right away. Thank you!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
Quote:

So, you have to provide half of a deck? And, that's a bit of a rip off? Who doesn't have half a deck of cards laying around to make this up?

Robert
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:

So, you have to provide half of a deck? And, that's a bit of a rip off? Who doesn't have half a deck of cards laying around to make this up?

Robert

Well maybe 'rip off' is the wrong word. But for almost $50 Canadian, I would never expect to have to go out and buy even more things I need for an effect I just bought. Not that I need to buy more cards right now, but the point is for that price point I would never expect that it didn't come with everything you need. Also, it'd be nice that they would mention that either on their page, or just before ordering it. As I had to find out here, after ordering it, that I'd need more cards that come from my end. Effect looks amazing, I'm sure it's totally worth it.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2015, FilmMagician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

My +7 year old version in Finnish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhw-NAhN9OI. I have lot more work on the routine these days and I have lectured about it few times and I was informed that Juan Esteban Varela (The guy famous of blind magic act) from Chile also has lots of work on the same gaffs. Basically the version in the video is total self worker. There is also a quick 3second reset to my version but magic shops (Murphy's, Alakazam and such) werent interested in it in early 2010's.
And there are much much better ways to reverse the deck that I am doing in that old video Smile

I have also used the same consept as kicker to full deck oil and water routine as seen in my Youtube channel. This was also done years before similar products came to marked and I showed it to Michael Weber in Vegas 2009 and at least at that time he hadnt thought of that application to certain "deck of his" Smile

And today I am honored to say that my friend Christian Engbloms "Pieces" has pretty much every advantage that my triumph has and can be done with borrowed deck. But it is also much harder... And actually, Christian's triumph could also have the color change ending as could mine but I personally don't like to mix color changing deck with triumph.
Juha-Matti
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, korttihai_82 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2015, FilmMagician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

My +7 year old version in Finnish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhw-NAhN9OI. I have lot more work on the routine these days and I have lectured about it few times and I was informed that Juan Esteban Varela (The guy famous of blind magic act) from Chile also has lots of work on the same gaffs. Basically the version in the video is total self worker. There is also a quick 3second reset to my version but magic shops (Murphy's, Alakazam and such) werent interested in it in early 2010's.
And there are much much better ways to reverse the deck that I am doing in that old video Smile

I have also used the same consept as kicker to full deck oil and water routine as seen in my Youtube channel. This was also done years before similar products came to marked and I showed it to Michael Weber in Vegas 2009 and at least at that time he hadnt thought of that application to certain "deck of his" Smile

And today I am honored to say that my friend Christian Engbloms "Pieces" has pretty much every advantage that my triumph has and can be done with borrowed deck. But it is also much harder... And actually, Christian's triumph could also have the color change ending as could mine but I personally don't like to mix color changing deck with triumph.
Juha-Matti

Thanks for writing. Watched both your videos (oil and triumph) you do them masterfully. I'm gonna check out Pieces now. So many options for the triumph. I just want a nice clean version. The borrowed deck bit seems like a great aspect of it all. Thanks again. Keep up the good work.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Recently I bought 'Unexpected Triumph' and I was disappointed by back design of blue back gaff cards. It is not 'Rider Back'. I am curious if I can buy normal decks with blue back design as same as the gaff cards in 'Unexpected Triumph'?

I am also interested why the manufacturer did not used 'Rider Back' design in spite that they are using 'Rider Bsack' design for red backs.

I have one more complaint that the combination of gaff cards are not good, there are 4 Queens, 1 King and 1 Jack. Besides, in 26 gaff cards, there are 19 odd value cards and 7 even value cards. This is not a big problem in performances, but I wonder why they did not make the gaff cards in better combination.

Hideo Kato

CC

Maybe the manufaturer bought face blank red backed cards from USPC and printed gaff faces themsleves?
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2016, Hideo Kato wrote:
Recently I bought 'Unexpected Triumph' and I was disappointed by back design of blue back gaff cards. It is not 'Rider Back'. I am curious if I can buy normal decks with blue back design as same as the gaff cards in 'Unexpected Triumph'?

I am also interested why the manufacturer did not used 'Rider Back' design in spite that they are using 'Rider Bsack' design for red backs.

I have one more complaint that the combination of gaff cards are not good, there are 4 Queens, 1 King and 1 Jack. Besides, in 26 gaff cards, there are 19 odd value cards and 7 even value cards. This is not a big problem in performances, but I wonder why they did not make the gaff cards in better combination.

Hideo Kato

CC

Maybe the manufaturer bought face blank red backed cards from USPC and printed gaff faces themsleves?

AH crap, that doesn't sound good. Why would they have weird backed cards? I know you have to supply your own, how the hell are you supposed to match them? Or do you just need normal reds I guess? You saying it's not worth the price then?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » An Unexpected Triumph - thoughts? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL