The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REVIEW: The Rough and Smooth Project (DVD and Roughing Stick) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

My Lovely Assistant
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of My Lovely Assistant
REVIEW: The Rough and Smooth Project (DVD and Roughing Stick) By Big Blind Media

RATING: 3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

LINK: www.mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/view/5031

REVIEW: The Rough and Smooth Project by Big Blind Media is a DVD that does not teach tricks as much as it teaches all about rough and smooth decks. It teaches the different ways and you can rough a card and also includes a small sample of Harry Robson’s Roughing Stick. It teaches you how to actually make different types of rough and smooth decks (including the Invisible deck, Brainwave deck, Super Nude deck, Generic forcing deck, Pop-Eyed Popper deck, and others) and a routine with each deck.

This DVD, presented mostly by Lawrence Turner and some cameo appearances by Liam Montier, explains almost anything you would want to know about a rough and smooth deck. For creators of magic and magicians that are interested in the mechanics, set up and execution behind the scenes this will be an interesting DVD. For a hobbyist that just wants to buy a specialty gaffed deck and doesn’t really care about how roughing is applied or how to make a deck, this is not a project you will enjoy.

This project is different than many Big Blind Media in that is not mainly geared toward teaching tricks and techniques, but to teaching about the roughed deck, in all respects. It also shows the viewer the power of corner shorting an invisible deck to create a more convincing routine and performance.

The DVD menu is very detailed and easy to navigate. It is broken down into a few main categories; 1. Play All; 2. Techniques; 3. Gaff Decks I; 4. Gaff Decks II; 5. Using a Spray; and 6. FAQ/Interview. With each gaffed deck, Turner demonstrates a routine and then explains the set-up and the secret in a short and to the point manner. The instruction in all regards is clear and easy to understand.

For those that want to make their own rough and smooth decks, this DVD teaches the simplest and most direct ways to spray, stack and assemble the decks, which can sometimes be confusing and complicated. Turner explains thoroughly the safety issues with using a spray and answers some questions in an interview like setting.

The DVD is produced with the usual Big Blind Media high quality.

Although I am unlikely to make my own roughed decks from scratch in the near future (I have the various roughed decks that I use and patch them as necessary), I found the DVD to be very informative and worthwhile. It is well organized and true to the ad copy teaches you “everything you need to know about roughing playing cards.”
Visit www.mylovelyassistant.com for magic product reviews.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
This is an awesome dvd.There are some truly fantastic gaffed decks on there.I believe only available from Mr green t aka Lawrence.Just shows how much work he puts into them.The chapter on easily making the decks also Svengali.Well who knew not me.Cheers Lawrence this is a fab dvd.I'll be making up a turbo ID.I know this post is old but just bought it and it deserves to be up there with card splitting and your gaff factory dvd/books
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REVIEW: The Rough and Smooth Project (DVD and Roughing Stick) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL