The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Shoot Ogawa's Ninja VS Messado's Rings (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Does anyone own both Shoot Ogawa's Ninja Rings AND Messado's Rings?

I would like to listen to your opinion on them both and what are their differences (if any) besides the colors of the rings?

I own the Shoot Ogawa's Silver Ninja Rings and recently bought one set of Gold ones for my friend. But I am contemplating getting the Messed so I can try it out and find out what's better. I like the color black but I read in another topic that the black would fade.

However, I hope if anyone owns both sets, do share your thoughts here =) Thank you!
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I only own Messado. I WANT Ninja or at least the silver version. But the Black Messado are excellent, I'm just worried about night or low light areas with black rings. I want a silver for those situations. Anyone have silver for sale and opinions?
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
My silver Ninja Rings from Shoot Ogawa has stood strong through the test of times. I have been using it for about 6 years now. Or maybe 5. And they look as good as new. No chips. No color fading. And miraculously still no sign of any welding or connections. You really cannot spot where the rings were welded together.

Shoot says that every piece is had treated to hide the welding points.

And I really like the beveled edges on the key ring. It doesn't hurt your hand and allows smooth links.

But having said all that, I still want to own a set of Messado's. I contacted him on FB and he said it's out of stock now.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Keep a look out on EBay. I bought black rings and DVD for $30!
I'm like you I want a silver set either Ninja or Messado to have options.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The chamfered edge of the key ring on the Ninja ring is better I think.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

I agree the concept of the rounded edges on the key. I think I will use a Dremel and do the same on the Messado rings. Thanks for the tip!
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
I own both of them, and for me, the Ninja Rings are far better for two main reasons:
1. With color black is a little confuse to see the link itself, specially if you pretend to use it with larger audiences
2. If you drop it, you scratch the painting
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, magojose |wrote:
I own both of them, and for me, the Ninja Rings are far better for two main reasons:
1. With color black is a little confuse to see the link itself, specially if you pretend to use it with larger audiences
2. If you drop it, you scratch the painting

Well, that makes a lot of sense. It's very common to drop rings and I have dropped my Ninja for thousands of times the past 5 years. THey are still in great condition.

And I STILL cannot find the part where the solder or weld was made in the normal and 2 linked rings.

And you are right that the silver on the Ninja reflects the light very well for better visibility with large audience. And if performed on live feed and TV close up, the black won't blend into any black shirts or jackets or background.

Good points.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

I finally bought a used set of Ninja rings (silver) and I agree with others that they are clearly superior to Messado rings. I will keep my Messado set for practice.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
I have been performing with shoots Ninja rings (Gold) for over 5 years and they still look like they are fairly new. They are cut just right and the key is really smooth. Never used messed so not sure, but if you can get your hands on Shoots rings, I suggest you do.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Shoot's Ninja rings (not the.knock offs) are the best close up rings I have seen.
Very well made.
I have heard the black Messado rings can chip or flake fairly easily.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
I have the black Messado rings and beat the hell out of 'em quite frequently with no chips or scratches or flakes in the color.

They are a very durable set.

Here's my routine with them ... nothing fancy, just a straightforward presentation of linking rings.

https://youtu.be/et2elxDdIDg
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
For me black ring do not look like metal. Metal is silver. Gives the penetration more better magical look.

Like the messado routine
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
I've had the Messado rings now for a couple of years, my last post on this topic was three years ago. My routine is bit smoother now than in the video (alas - so is the top of my head).

But as to which is better, I can say that I've handled both Messado and the Ninja rings ... and in my opinion the Ninja rings are "lighter" if that has any sway with you. They're also a bit more "pliable" if I could describe it that way. they have the smooth tapered ends on the key and are less noisy.

I still like the Messado set, because they're a tough set of rings. Mine take plenty of abuse and still look good. And I like the jangly sound when they clank together. They seem substantial.

~Oscar
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
I've had the Messado rings now for a couple of years, my last post on this topic was three years ago. My routine is bit smoother now than in the video (alas - so is the top of my head).

But as to which is better, I can say that I've handled both Messado and the Ninja rings ... and in my opinion the Ninja rings are "lighter" if that has any sway with you. They're also a bit more "pliable" if I could describe it that way. they have the smooth tapered ends on the key and are less noisy.

I still like the Messado set, because they're a tough set of rings. Mine take plenty of abuse and still look good. And I like the jangly sound when they clank together. They seem substantial.

Glad your Messado set sounds like it is holding up well!y experience has been that they tend to split at the seem. One of my students actually broke anring right in front of me while practicing the one handed link. They also have flattened ashes which imo make crash links a bit more abrupt. Not a huge difference but it is there.

The ninja rings are indeed lighter and thinner. They have rounded keys and are more durable. Imo the rings overall are higher quality. As for the routine itself, that’s all dependant on why you want to do. Both routines pack a punch in their own respective ways.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Black rings. Seems like such a bad idea. Done because "black is kewl", I assume?
Might seem kewl to teen-age magicians but give me the shiny, visible from afar, ninja rings every time.

That's one of the most practical benefits of the ninja rings ... small, compact, and a routine that is VERY visible from a distance.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
@obrienmagic: I've seen your ring routine, its a thing of beauty. Mine is functional, but less clumsy now than before. And I do beat the heck out these rings without any problems.

@TheAmbitiousCard: Frank is it? I agree the Ninja rings look great, highly visual. I was initially captivated by Joshua Messado himself and his routine. He's a real artist in my opinion. I do like the black rings, and I usually perform in business casual with a white dress shirt, so black rings stand out nicely for me.

On a side note, I had an opportunity to pick up a set of Ninjas last year at a Magic Club flea market for 20 bucks. But when I picked them up after being so familiar with the heft of my Messado set, they felt light and in my mind, a little cheap. I realized later, after playing with a set a magician friend of mine owns, that the fact they are light, just makes them that much more easy to manipulate - and for some, is a sign of quality.

I could've kicked myself for letting that set get away from me for only 20 dollars. Oh well - I bought other things that night that promptly went into a drawer, never to see the light of day since... Had I gotten the Ninja rings, they'd be getting plenty of air-time.

~Oscar
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Wow. that would have been an excellent price.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Very kind of you Oscar thank you!
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
U can also go for the 2usd set or kids magic rings. Not as fancy, light but work wonders and you can buy many sets to make your own gimmicks (a la Ninja+). It s all about practice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Shoot Ogawa's Ninja VS Messado's Rings (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL