The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Split cards feel thin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shg_123
View Profile
New user
Coffey, MO
71 Posts

Profile of shg_123
Been studying The art of card splitting for a couple days and I just can't figure this out. Yes, I know that when you split a card it obviously becomes thin due to ya know it being split. However, When I attempt to take to faces or two backs and put them together they just feel really flimsy and thin after they've been pressed. Am I missing something or is this something I must get used to?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
When you split a card there will be 'thicker' and 'thinner' halves. The thicker half is the one that also contains the glue originally applied to hold the two halves together. When you get experience with splitting you can determine which side of the card will be the thicker one, i.e. you can make the back of the card the thick or thin half depending on how you split it.

If you join two thin halves then it will be extremely thin and flimsy. In my experience, to best approximate the correct thickness of a playing card, attach a thin half to a thick half. That has always given me the best results. Two thick halves are a little too thick and unyielding. Best of luck.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
shg_123
View Profile
New user
Coffey, MO
71 Posts

Profile of shg_123
Ok that's what I was missing! switching which side you split on each card, Thanks! Another thing, when I make my halfers there seems to be a weak point in the middle of the card where the two meet, anyway to fix that?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have found that even splitting cards properly and re-gluing with rubber cement leaves a lack of snap. I've heard good things about using dry mount tissue/paper, but have yet to try it, myself.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, shg_123 wrote:
Ok that's what I was missing! switching which side you split on each card, Thanks! Another thing, when I make my halfers there seems to be a weak point in the middle of the card where the two meet, anyway to fix that?

That may also be because you are using the two thin layers. Cards are made of 3 layers. When you split, you are typically splitting 1 layer from 2 (thin and thick w/glue). I find my gaffs to be a tad thicker because I use the two thick halves and sand down the thickness a bit before gluing them back together. This also stops them from being see thru. Most of the gaffs I make this way, the spec will never touch so the tad extra on the thickness is no problem, as a matter of fact it helps me as it is now a "thick card" and can be easily controlled.

For gaffs I make that the spec will likely touch. Like Chessman stated, I use DMT (dry mount tissue) and a small temperature controllable iron (from a hobby shop used for decals on remote control. There is an excellent ebook on Lybrary.com for DIY dry mount gaffing
http://www.lybrary.com/the-gaff-factory-......750.html
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Split cards feel thin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL