The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tip on practice routines (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Oh, I have never been so serious about anything like this in my life. And I'm 43!
As chance would have it, I just joined up to the magic bunny website and when you join they give you a digital copy of tarbell. Obviously I'd prefer the actual volumes in my hand but at least I can look through it now! Smile
I'm rigidly sticking to the royal road until I get to the end. I will be a magician, but I've got a lot of work to do. I realise this. I'm going to love it too!
Thanks Dick, I've read many valuable pieces of advice from your comments around the Café. Your input is always noted my friend.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Tarbell seems to be like the holy grail, as in it covers such a wide variety of things. I was watching one part of it, the intro I believe, it seems quite dated. However I think if you focus on the actual material for learning purposes it is gold! You can always add your own twists to the effects, but learning them first is a big help.

I made a list of books/movies I want to haha! I also take post-it/sticky notes and tag my books' pages, or for movies I write down the time slot at which I see anything I would want to go over again. Whether it be an effect done in real time, performance tips, a slight I want to practice or an effect I want to learn. It helps for going back to it after. (:
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The original Tarbell Course was written in the late 1920s, as a Correspondence School Course. (They were popular, then! IIRC, the lessons came once a month, printed on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. A little box of miscellaneous gimmicks "came with" the course.

All illustrations were done by Harlan Tarbell, himself. He was a qualified, successful artist, and performer. One of the best "celebrated artist" booking offices kept him busy.

I, long ago, sold the course that I had to a "new" magician. (I had bought it "second hand", eons ago!).

The patter is archaic. So is the style of presentation. HERE COMES THE "BUT": But, the PRINCIPLES are there! --And, THOSE ARE what are important! The principles are "course 101" for potential magicians!

In 1941, the late Lou Tannen, (the "red haired" magic dealer) published the course in hard bound books. (Eventually, six volumes!) Tannen "modernized" the course, a bit. He just "updated" some of the props! He was a dealer, and, was interested in selling props that he sold! So, the basic course is "still there".

Later, Harry Lorayne wrote Volume Seven. It included contributions from many successful magicians. Fairly recently, Volume Eight was pubished. It includes a lot of history.

A pdf version is now available (of the original 1927 course.) I was "born too soon" to know much about "pdf", but, I've spoken with magicians who tell me, it's good!

I met Tarbell in 1950, and, saw him perform (not his entire show) later. He was an interesting character! I owe a lot to him, and his course. I've used tricks, (and, PRINCIPLES!) learned from his course to develop my show, since I began performing (in 1945). I became a part time pro'. when I was 14! Twenty years later, I "turned" full time pro'. I'm retired from 50 years of touring coast to coast and, border to border. I wrote a book about the adventures of an "itinerant mountebank" (me). It is now being sold on four continents.

I "blame" Doc Tarbell for much of what I know, and, the success that I've had. It has been a "wonderfilled" life!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Great advice all, thank you.
I will be learning from Tarbell! Decided!
Dick, you should have a little look at some pdf books haha! There's a great selection of freely available old conjuring books on archive.org which I absolutely love to read through.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Archive.org---thanks! After the Holidays, I'll try to give that a peek!

I'm not much of a cardician, so, even back in the '40s, I just skimmed thru them. I had already learned a lot of florishes, and, "fancy shuffles", which I've used in the show ever since.

As you're reading, keep a notebook nearby. When you find something that "catches your eye", make a note of the page etc. It will be easier to refer to it.

There have been a "gezillion" technical books since Tarbell came out a hundred years ago! Some new sleights, etc. have been invented! I recommend you stay with Tarbell. After you finish with Doc. T, you'll be better prepared to select some of the later books. (You'll save a lot of $$$, too!)
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
. . . I wrote a book about the adventures of an "itinerant mountebank" (me). It is now being sold on four continents. . . .

A terrific book it is! Very entertaining and informative. Every performer who is, wants to be or has been "out in the trenches" will get a blast from Dick's book!

Regards, Dick! Great Book!
Gerald
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks, Gerald!

Another unsolicited testimonial! (as Eddie Tullock usta say.)

The best thing is that, nobody has asked for their money back! --At least, not so far!

And, several people have purchased two copies!

A few weeks ago, I ordered another printing.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Dick Can this book be directly purchased from you or do I need to track down a dealer?

Magically

Aus
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I keep some books in my apartment, for those who wish them autographed.

When it was first published, last year, many wrote and asked if I had a DVD of my school show. I had a few of the elementary program that were shot by magician friends who had visited, on the road. I never had a friend visiting when I was booked in a high school.
So I had several elementary shows dubbed from VHS tapes to a DVD. Most of the tricks that I wrote up in the book, are on the DVD.

There are no "kiddie" tricks on the DVD. Almost everything that I do, plays for Kindergarten through high school, and, adults, too. --I just vary the presentation, vocabulary, etc.

Jon Racherbaumer "ordered" me to tell the story of school assembly magicians. He said, "Books have been written about the magicians who worked legitimate theaters (Thurston, Blackstone, Houdini, et al) those who worked auditoriums (MacDonald Birch) tent theaters (Harry Willard). But, no one has written about Lyceum performers!" So, I bought a computer!

I told the basic story of Lyceum, "illustrated" with a gezillion anecdotes. I also told a lot of "backstage" stories, about magicians with whom I became friends. Finally, I wrote up most of the tricks that I had used. --even a few that I had tried, and had stopped using, usually for practical reasons.

The book is 400 8 1/2 x 11 pages, and sells for $50.00 plus $5.00 postage in CONUSA. The DVD sells for $20. plus postage. If ordered together, I can fit the DVD in the same padded envelope!

There is an additional fee of ten cents for autographing!!!

I use paypal. It's hard for those in other countries to write checks in dollars.

I'll PM you with details.

Thanks!

O
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I can do Paypal Dick no worry's, Pm me the details when your ready.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
You are welcome, Dick! Terrific book! Not just informative, but really fun to read.

Happy New Year!
Gerald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tip on practice routines (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL