The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Do You Make Your Own? Best DIY Suitcase Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
I purchased a professional-looking grey, black trimmed, case from the hardware store, of all places. It has storage compartments well suited to organize it all. I use a music stand and plumbing flange as the base. I've printed, laminated, and attached my logo to the top. It serves me very well ... except the flange. It isn't completely level.

I learned from another Magic Café thread, I can buy a $120 flange made for a music stand on Amazon (Atlas AD11BE 5/8-Inch 27 Thread Surface Mount Female Microphone Flange). But I'm wondering what other people are doing, those of you who have made your own suitcase table.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Could you shim the flange until it is level.
If it were me, depending how much it is off, I would put self adhesive felt on the flange. I would then tighten it until it just touched the cases surface. Then using the four screws I would tighten them individually until it was level. If it is more than a fraction of an inch you could shim it until it is level still using the four screws. If you are handy with a grinder you can take a bit of the metal off until it is more level. I say more level because you no doubt will never get it perfect but maybe a bit better though.

You could always just shim it as you tighten the screws until you have it where you like it then fill any gaps with a two part epoxy to tidy it up a little. My first stage case was made this way. I actually have a better stand now that only requires a hole to be put in the case this eliminated the need for the big heavy pipe flange.
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
Thanks for the suggestion. I skipped some details though to keep things simple. The plumbing flange does in fact attach flush against the case. There is also a male pipe fitting (plumbing). The top half of the pipe fitting screws into the flange, while the bottom half screws into a PVC female adaptor (electrical). Then the adaptor fits on to the music stand pole, but the adaptor is short so it moves slightly and cracks easily.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2016, Taterini wrote:
Just a suggestion...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=26

That's a nice looking table.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Instead of a suitcase table, I use two setups. One is a large plastic tote on a restaurant tray stand. The other is a catalog case, that sits on a 30" folding stool.
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
I found a solution. You can securely attach any case or table top to a music stand using a copper male pipe fitting nipple (5" length, 1" diameter) and a flange ($20). See the photo. I just removed the entire upper shaft of the music stand and inserted the pipe fitting (after I painted it black). I reinforced the inside and bottom of the suitcase with 2 sheets of aluminum ($4).
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What exactly do you mean by "large flange". do you have a link to one ?

thanks,
frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
Here's the photo. It works great.

Click here to view attached image.
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
I ended up screwing a piece of MDF to a tripod base the invert the suitcase on top of the table/tirpod arangement
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Do You Make Your Own? Best DIY Suitcase Table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL