The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring on rope - need help or info on a Move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
135 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
Hi all,

Ive been playing with Finger ring off rope and was wondering, is it possible to do Cheffelo knot with the ring on the rope, then ending up free once the knot unties?

Any pointers to a reference would be appreciated, either here or in a PM.
"Being able to do tricks, doesn't mean you're able to be Entertaining!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
G'day friend, from the "other" end of the globe!

Topologically, I know of no way to release a ring from CHEFALO.

The late Jim Ryan (of Chicago) had a neat routine using the G.W. Hunter Shoelace Knot. He used it in a ring on stick routine. It was published in the "PHOENIX" in the '50s.

Have you considered Stewart James' "Sefalaljia"??

If this is of interest, I'll try to "dig it up".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have played with four different ways of getting a ring off of a rope tied with a knot.

None work well with a finger ring and the overhead of time vs impact of effect gets lost.

With a larger ring and part of a flowing routine such a knot can work as an ending with the spectator trying to untie the knot:

Shoelace knot approach -- thank for the source DIck, I just saw it done and figured it out,
Sefaljia approach -- learned from an old Genii. Best with one on and one off I think,
Reverse Palfreyman - "Linking Rope Slip Knot" kept loose. Cumbersome but astonishing,
RemCut - ring on and off a tied necklace (my own creations)

A combination can allow this --

a red ribbon is tied into a loop by a spectator. A green ribbon is also tied with a borrowed ring on it and knotted by spectator.
The ring jumps from the green to the red ribbon. All handed out.

Again -- in practice these effects proof too convoluted and slow paced for today's audience.

If I have only five minutes to create a 30 year memory this would not be it.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2016, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
Hi all,

Ive been playing with Finger ring off rope and was wondering, is it possible to do Cheffelo knot with the ring on the rope, then ending up free once the knot unties?

Any pointers to a reference would be appreciated, either here or in a PM.

If you can find a copy of "Two Jardine Ellis Ring-on-ribbon Routines Millidge" it tells how to do this with an Ellis Ring. I believe it can work with a finger ring as well.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree with Ken. Jim Ryan's "ROPE, RING and ROD" (published in PHOENIX #337, Sept. 1950, Vol I, #4 is a good commercial trick. Jim used it as a bartender, and was very successful with it. (Here comes the "but": But, it isn't a "quick trick". I know of several magicians who use it, today, but, for many it would, as Ken says, above, be too slow.

"Out Of This World" is one of the all time GREAT card tricks, BUT, "ya hafta pick your audience, and the TIME & PLACE!!!" IMO, Ryan's ROPE RING AND ROD, needs the same discretion.

Ditto, with Stewart James' basic Sefalaljia (with the safety pin, under a handkerchief) It's a GREAT PRINCIPLE, but Clifton, Grismer, and Nelson's contributions, plus the new one a few years ago with the m....t and shoelace (I can't remember the name) have moved the penetration EFFECTS ahead! TEMPO-TIMING-TIME!!!

I knew Stewart James, and, Jim Ryan. When I say this about "their" tricks, it is not to denigrate them. They were not only good friends, but, were also fine magicians. Both have passed, years ago. I still miss them.

To further clarify the 'THREE "T's": Most of my show is tricks I learned from TARBELL. (Here comes another "but" >>>But, I've adapted the PRESENTATION to modern audiences!

Bill! That's interesting! (Ellis). I haven't played with an Ellis for years.

Back in the early '70s, Charlie Miller showed me a a ring off rope, with ring tied in an overhand knot! It's a winner!
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
135 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
Thankyou gentlemen ill head to those references!! Much appreciated!

@dick, I have considered the shoelace knot, I think it was Marc Desouza that uses it in his quadringle routine. If you have details of sefalalija I would be most thankful!!

@funsway, yeah I know what youre saying, I am looking to put together a fast routine for walk around. I did have a routine with a larger ring based on Tabaray and a Lewis Ganson manuscript, that unfortunately I cant find anywhere. The ring would be to big to cart around!

@bill, thankyou for the reference, I hadnt considered using an ellis ring, but I will look up the reference.

Ive also been looking at routines with a ring and chopstick!

Thanks again
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll check my "rope" file, to see what I have, and PM you.
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
135 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
Thanks heaps!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sefalaljia is available free on the Internet, do you know how to use the Google search engine? Just put the word "magic" behind the name, and hit enter.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks, Bill!

I didn't know that!
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
135 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
No I'm computer illiterate and am dictating these posts, to someone computer savvy! Thanks
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The Ency. of Rope Tricks has several ring & rope effects, including Chefalo Release p211.

Howsomeever, as Funsway mentioned, doing this with a finger ring and string would probably be nasty (too hard to tie all that with string).

Instead I would look at some fake knots designed for finger rings..

I think I remember one such knot in Ring Leader, but can't think of the name
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
GaMBIT_101!

Sorry, I'm so late returning to your thread!

I didn't make a note to reply, and, my ancient brain "lost it"!

In downsizing my reference library, I disposed of my old Abbott "Encyclopedia of Rope Magic". and, I had totally forgotten any references to the CHEFALO KNOT and a ring release. Thanks to John Long for his reference above!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The question that comes to my mind, which *I* forgot to ask: Why a Cheflao Knot?

To me, as I think Funsway was alluding to, due to their complexity, they take quit of time to tie, and I would think prone to miss-tying. Beyond that, they look like such a mess (to me) I think it would be hard to motivate, and even suspicious to the spectator.

I again recommend a simple fake knot, that looks like a real knot, can be displayed openly, but made to come free of the ring (even in the specs fist).

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Not sure if this meets the criteria....the ring is ted with a double overhand knot

https://youtu.be/QYrXYP0rFeo

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring on rope - need help or info on a Move (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL