The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking inside? With permission? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
I'm just wondering about the best way to get permission to busk private property is.
I live in Albuquerque, and it's a relatively small town.
Not a lot of areas with high foot traffic for busking.
So I'm looking at the local malls and thinking that would be a great place, but I don't know where to start who to ask.
(I get that this is against the spirit of busking, to ask first, but I live here, and I'd like to not only have permission but to be invited back)

Has anyone ever approached a mall or strip mall about busking?
Who do you look for? who do you talk to, how do you present the idea?
Thoughts?
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
I imagine that'd be more like working a trade show than anything. Your value to them is the ability to draw a crowd. Stores just opening are probably your best bet. "I can get 25 people to stop at a time right outside your store, then direct them right into your fine establishment."

I don't see how you'd get permission to do hat lines in a mall or the like to be honest. I'd probably just be a paid gig. Establishments don't like competition for the cash in people's pockets.
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Trying to get a spot to perform at the end of a bar is another option. A lot more like busking than like table hopping. You have to be really confident in your chops for any of these options though. The reason I've always loved busking is it doesn't matter if you muck something up.

The last thing I'd say is that busking is always an option, high foot traffic is over rated. Small crowds tip better per person. If you can find somewhere where you can get a couple to stop, if you impress them you can often get a 20 for performing to just the one couple. Lady enjoys the show, dude wants to impress the lady, boom.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"Has anyone ever approached a mall or strip mall about busking?"
I've approached a couple of big malls. And got told that I could perform beyond the mall [and beyond the vehicle parking] on the footpath. Where nobody walks...

Who do you look for? who do you talk to, how do you present the idea?
Look for the person I charge of Mall. That sounds pretty logical, but it doesn't take much to find out the name of the person, their position/job title, and where their office is located. Then ask for a suitable time to see the person. Of course, you should have a spiel ready about what you offer the Mall [entertainment], and how it benefit them, and why they could allow you to perform.
I turned up in my busking gear with a couple of my tricks, ready to show something of what I did. Turning up in a suit says nothing about who you are. Showing a trick le'ts them participate in some magic that you will be presenting to the public.
Take the initiative and ask them to consider your offer, and that you will get back in contact with them in a couple of days. That gives them time to think over things about you.

If you go to a supermarket, be aware that certain days are not the days to appear. There is usually on display a sign saying words to the effect "No salesmen on Thursday'. The manager doesn't want them interrupting that busy day's tasks.

strat1227 says above: 'Establishments don't like competition for the cash in people's pockets."
I've run up against this when I tried, last year, to get a site at a private school fair. "We want the money for ourselves" I was told. That school and another one I was told of can raise 20 or 30 thousand dollars [New Zealand = about 75c USA] in a single day! Monied parents, donations, sponsored activities, parents helping by doing free facepaintingd etc, local support...

Meanwhile, standing on the street is the lone magician busker, loving to provide entertainment and fun for the wandering pedestrians and asking for donations...

Let's know how you get on, Chris.Z
The presentation makes the magic.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2016, Chris.Z wrote:
So I'm looking at the local malls and thinking that would be a great place, but I don't know where to start who to ask.

Usually, the person you want to speak with is the "marketing director", their name is probably posted on the mall's website. Ultimately, the person you talk to first will be the secretary stationed at the office door. She will know who you should talk to at that particular location.

You pitch your show to them with whatever you charge, and then let them know you are willing to work at no charge if they will let you put out a tip jar. so it becomes them saving money as opposed to you making money. It can work out where you get paid to do a stage show, and then also get to busk the rest of the afternoon.

Quote:
On Feb 6, 2016, strat1227 wrote:
I don't see how you'd get permission to do hat lines in a mall or the like to be honest. I'd probably just be a paid gig. Establishments don't like competition for the cash in people's pockets.

You don't ..... you get permission to set out a "tip jar". The stores may not like the competition, but the food places need entertainers to keep guests occupied while they are eating - someone has to babysit the children while the parents order.

If you walk through the food court and see tip jars out on the counters, there is a good chance you can talk them into it. If there are no tip jars out, the chance goes down.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I think that the natural place to set up in a mall is in the food court. It doesn't block the store's traffic, and the shoppers are not in a rush to get out.
I used to perform in the malls, but those were the days when they had mall promotions to get people in the doors. They were 3 or 4 day bookings, (closed on Sunday's ), and payed very well.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2016, jakeg wrote:

I used to perform in the malls, but those were the days when they had mall promotions to get people in the doors. They were 3 or 4 day bookings, (closed on Sunday's ), and payed very well.

Remember Tiffany?

I guess those days are long gone now.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Long gone! I haven't worked a mall since the mid '70s.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Buskers formerly worked in pubs and inns. Now it's called table hopping.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2016, strat1227 wrote:
I imagine that'd be more like working a trade show than anything. Your value to them is the ability to draw a crowd. Stores just opening are probably your best bet. "I can get 25 people to stop at a time right outside your store, then direct them right into your fine establishment."

Have you tried this? does it work? I think that would be an awesome thing to do here in LA.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking inside? With permission? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL