The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magic on TV (commercials) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
At least on the heels of the superbowl commercial that dissed magicians by a beer tap telling a man "he looks like an out of work magician" and the man replying "It's a HOBBY" here is a kid really giving it a go. Can anyone find any more to share?

Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I just heard that commercial- you watching American Idol, per chance? Smile I said out loud I'm a magician who went to college (twice- for Theatre Arts and Performing Arts) and I said out loud again, there are a lot of magicians out there who know nothing about performing, who might benefit from a College (performing) arts program. And this is what the media tells the people about magicians- they don't go to college... I guess it's partly true but the gist is ignorant. Do people even realize that post secondary educates performers, too? Regardless, there's a lot of learning, college or no, in performing & very much so in magic, and there's a lot of ignorance, in society, about what performers do. And I thought that was moreso in Canada, but maybe not, afterall, though the arts seem to be supported more strongly in the USA. This commercial's a double-edged sword.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Grain of salt, too, though, I don't usually listen to the commercials- isn't that what the "mute" button's for? Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think I was watching "Wicked Tuna" the fishing show. The beer ad was on the SuperBowl though.At about :50

Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
You guys are making an awful lot out of a passing comment which didn't even say what you are making it out to have said.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
See my grain of salt comment, Tom. The commercials are up for a myriad of interpretations, of course, but there IS a thing called "subtext", too, in play.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Out of curiosity, what do you think the phone card commercial's saying, Tom? I think if you do the math with the given text, the conclusion's pretty straightforward. The magician comment is more than the "passing" it appears to be- it's anchored to the sale of the card, and I'll gladly share my text analysis on that if anyone's interested.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
A kid smitten with his current, likely short term, interest...be that magic, or music, or rodeo clowning. Nothing more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magic on TV (commercials) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL