The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » World View (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
When I was a teenager in high school, long before I knew anything about American politics, I remember seeing a Mad Magazine cartoon which read:

"If you're not a liberal by the time you're 20, you have no heart. And if you're not a conservative by the time you're 40, you have no head.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"War is peace. Freedom is slavery."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I was reminded by this article of the work of George Lakoff, who correlated political world views to family/parenting styles:
http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/03/03/why-trump
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, landmark wrote:
I was reminded by this article of the work of George Lakoff, who correlated political world views to family/parenting styles:
http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/03/03/why-trump

It makes sense...I don't like either party, and I never wanted kids.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The only problem I have with theories such as Lakoff's is that I'm not sure whether or not they are just tautological. In other words, is he saying more than "Conservative families are conservative, and liberal families are liberal"?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
A problem I have with it is that IMO, a lot of it comes down not to "strict" vs. "supportive," but to controlling vs. permissive, and the fact of the matter is that liberal politicians are more permissive in some situations, and conservative ones are more permissive in others.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » World View (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL