The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » BOR for adult shows (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
I'm a big advocate of Back of Room sales. Always sell stuff after family shows.

I have a run of adult shows coming up at a public venue and www curious on product ideas to sell...
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
The most logical thing would be a DVD of your show. As a customer, I probably wouldn't buy the DVD if it was the same show I just saw. But if I liked your show, and you have a DVD of another show, I might buy it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Needle in arm....Needle or razor blade swallowing...Card Sword...White gloves and deck of Nielsen cards...Fakini Tournament Balls...

Hekk...Why do a show? If you're in it for the big bucks, just pitch Sevengalis, or the Mouse.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
James Munton has a BOR item for adult shows. It's a form of book test, and has been mentioned on other threads. This is different from his Instant Author Book BOR item.

Some of the links to his website on those older threads is now out of date. I believe this is a current link to his store.

http://zerotobookedsolid.com/shop/

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
There is also is a DVD that teaches simple magic tricks to the beginner. I purchased the rights to one years ago, but can’t
remember right off from who. (Paul something I think) It was well produced with about ten tricks on it for the beginner.
Not sure that one is still available now oh, but I'm sure somebody has one. Maybe James has a dvd too.

Certainly you don’t want to sell advanced magic to the public, but those attending a magic show could very well be interested
in learning a few simple pocket tricks.

Tom
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Lol!

Bradacal (who started this thread) himself offers an Instant Author DVD Kit, magic hands style, to other magicians. Or at least he has done so in the past. So, I assume he knows all about those, Tom. Smile

But yes, there were also ones from Paul Romhany and others.

- Donald
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
LOL… Donald your memory amazes me. You should be selling a memory course. LOL

Tom
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Smile Thanks Tom.

Also keep in mind that I don't own James' product, nor Bradacal's product. Just remembered them from other threads.

- Donald
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Yeah I own the dvd. But I want something different to pitch
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In regards to the James Munton product, be sure to read the product descriptions for both the "Instant Magic Book System" and the "Instant BOR System" (on his website), because they are different. I mentioned this earlier, but some might have missed that fine point I was making.

Bradacal knows about an Instant Author Magic Book (another item he sells) concept, but might not be aware of the other item.

- Donald
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Most instant author stuff is missing the point anyhow. The question you sould be asking is are you selling BOR only for your own purpose of generating more money, or is there a purpose and use for it to those you are targeting and purchase it? Is there an reason or emotional connection or purpose.

Selling tricks is fine for kids magcians I guess (use it in your show and make it available to the kids), but the real purpose of merchandising or BOR is to allow your audience that you have won over to get more of you, to take a piece of you home with them. Something of value to them (not just you and your wallet). Thisiis a point I've noticed many magicians seem to miss.

Going back to what Karen said people will buy a DVD of your show (the one they just saw) if there is proper reason. I use 40-80 people on stage in my shows. Many of them want to buy a copy of the show DVD to see themselves to have a copy of them in the performance. A valued momento with purpose and reason. People have bought my books and self-empowerment CDs because they want to take a piece of me home with them and it is something they can use and has value.

These are the best types of BOR. Things with a purpose or reason. T-short and hats can also be popular. But there is less value to it unless there is a specific purpose that creates value to them. Mine do. They want the t-short because of the connection it has to them. I believe I sell more than if it was just a t-shirt with my name, image or logo on it. There is a purpose, a reason for the purchase.

So it comes down to what is the purpose or your reasoning to sell BOR? Truth be told many that attempt to sell BOR don't sell much, and quickly abort the effort. Usually for the exact reasons I mentioned. So rather than asking what can I sell, perhaps first determining your purpose, reasoning and the value, connection and benefits what you could offer may have to your target buyers.

Then address the other important aspects such as price points and the number of units you are expecting per sale, margins, etc. There is so much more to it than simply asking what to sell.

This is why most instant author things fall short of expectations. Most people have to buy a book or course to figure this out and to get such information, but it certainly isn't included in any instant author or canned BOR stuff I've seen before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » BOR for adult shows (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL