The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Spongeball effects/sequences with just 2 or 3 balls (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
I am working to put together a somewhat brief routine with sponge balls that would be used in "impromptu" situations. I would like any thoughts on effects/sequences/moves using just 1 or 2 balls ,so I am not looking for any routines that use the typical "4 ball set". The purpose is to keep down the amount of stuff in my pockets (as most of the time I will be in jeans and a t-shirt) as well as keeping the routine very direct and simple.

Here are the criteria I am looking to meet.
-No tables necessary.
-Using 1 or 2 balls (I am ok with using a 3rd if the spec is not aware of it)
- Not looking to use any extra props (Purse frame, etc.) But I will have with me a TT and some coins

Here's some things I have come up with so far (in no particular order) from various resources. Obviously I will not use them all in the routine, I'm just trying to come up with a good "pool" of possibilities before I put the routine together, so any additions ideas you guys have would be great.

Using 1 Ball
-9" silk to sponge ball (this is usually how I start)
-spongeball vanish and reappearance (behind elbow, ear, ect.)

Using 2 Balls
-Sawing spongeball in half
-ripping spongeball in half
-1 ball turns to 2 in specs hands
-spongeball through pocket
-balls switch places in hands (the little joke where nothing actually happens)
-Ball color change
-balls of 2 colors actually switch places (like a copper/silver transpo but with spongeballs)
-1 ball jumps hands to join another in magicians hands (like the 10 count)
-1 ball jumps to join the other in specs hands

Using 3 Balls
-1 in the hand, 1 in the pocket, where ball continually shows back up in hand
-1 in hand , 1 in pocket, where the balls vanish

I understand there's only so many "effects" than can be done, but I'd love to hear any other "effect possibilities" that you guys have come across. As I said, trying to put together an original little routine here, but appreciate the input you guys have as well. Thanks for your thoughts.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
I understand there's only so many "effects" than can be done.

Tell me about it. I have a 9 phase sponge ball routine using 1 sponge ball. Its called "Solo Sponge". Unpublished.
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
My point is that I understand there are limits in the sense that there are only so many things a ball can do (vanish, appear, change places, change color/size, etc.) but these can be used in many ways to form entertaining routines.

I know I couldn't possibly have named all the possibilities, so I was just looking for others' thoughts. MichaelJay, any phases from your routine you want to mention? Not the workings, but "what happens"?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey! YOUSE are doing MY sponge ball routine! (hee hee)

On the road for 50 years, doing school shows (all grades from K thru 12),I ALWAYS had two balls and, a purse frame in the prop case. I didn't use them in EVERY show. --I had more than enough material, so, often I had to cut a few bits, or even a whole routine, to finish on time.

Occasionally, if I had a "quiet" group, I would grab the purse frame to pad out the show. I could relax with the sponge balls, and, be absolutely sure that they would play strong.

When I was in the Navy ('51-55) I played club dates all over the Tidewater Area. I had enough work that I could send my Navy paycheck home, and, live on the show $$$$. The late Earl Edwards had the EdMar shop, first on Boush St. and, later on Granby. I've lectured for Ring 103 a number of times.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Geoff William's Hairballs is a fun two ball routine. There is a table phase that can easily be skipped.
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
Just watched "Hairballs" on YouTube. Very nice routine and some good audience management ideas as well. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to develop. Thanks for the reference. Anyone else have any routines they could point me too or even just any "phases" that I didn't mention above?
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
...and Dick, I've been in Tidewater almost 10 years now...just now starting to feel like "home". I'd be curious to hear about your routine...it sounds like it was a keeper. 😊
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
A couple of the approaches you mentioned take advantage of the special feature of a sponge ball,
but most do not. Why limit yourself to sponge balls?

I have an free ebook on effects with small objects, 1,2,3 and more.

You could use sponge balls if you had to -- I prefer nuts, stones, candy, etc.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Why limit yourself from sponge ball?
Reality is a real killjoy.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
You can use a pen lid as a production for the first ball. Also acts as a wand for going to the pocket.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s0q-NiXfJw
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
Sorry about the delay in responding, been away from my computer for a bit. Funsway and Zach, yes, other than a few of those "moves" I could use many other objects. I just personally like using the sponge balls for their visibility and "fun factor" they seem to bring. I would love to check out that ebook resource though. David, that's a good idea if I don't use my usual silk to ball. Thanks again for the ideas.
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
Mark leverage (?) sponge ball routine from his "master routines" is really good. He makes a very good point about once you've made a ball appear in their hand it's nearly impossible to top. Though not impossible it is kind of hard.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Cover your hand with a silk. Push other thumb to make a pocket in the silk. (apply TT) Slowly put a sponge ball into hole applying known magic principle. Slowly pull hank out of hand showing ball gone. It will drive them mad.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
davegrip
View Profile
New user
Southern California
3 Posts

Profile of davegrip
Of course you also have the option of doing cup and ball work with them as well....
Dave Gripenwaldt
DGillam
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of DGillam
Ray Grismer had a well thought out routine with only 2 sponge balls; it uses the well known sponge ball moves, but with really good construction. Jeff Busby published it in a manuscript he sold.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
John Carney has an 'in hand routine': no table or surface required and his routine is designed to get the maximum punch from just two sponge balls. He wrote it up many years ago in Genii magazine and also has it in a revised form in one of his books. Highly recommended!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Carney's routine is in Carneycopia. It's a worker for the stroller. I can't resist a purse frame when working with sponge balls.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Spongeball effects/sequences with just 2 or 3 balls (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL