The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » If you're not doing this, please start! (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2016, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Johnstu I've said repeatedly that I respect and consider the feelings of people who differ from me.

You can say that all you want, but you're not demonstrating it.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Let's re-read this bit from the original post, since people are claiming the original poster had permission:

Quote:
Every time I borrow a spectators phone for either a trick, or if they ask to just take a photo, a top secret selfie of me WILL be included!

Any time he gets somebody's phone in his hand -- for whatever ostensible purpose -- he will also secretly take a selfie.

This is clearly not limited to contexts in which he has been handed the phone for the purpose of using the camera.

And he's urging all other magicians to do the same.
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2016, danaruns wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2016, johnstu wrote:
I hope my reply to Mike set out the difference between being offensive and being invasive.

Your reply to Mike did set out the difference, thank you. Though I think the analogy to burglary is a real stretch.

As for the rest...

Quote:
I would let you use my camera app on my phone for part of your performance. If I discovered later that while you had the phone you had sent an email using my email app then I would be creeped out.

...I think you've gone off the rails, here. I was very specific in my post. I asked if I asked a very narrow question: "If I found you in the audience and told you I wanted to take a photo, and I asked you to turn on your phone, open it, open the camera app, and hand your phone to me, would you do it?"

Your answer that you would let me use the phone to take a photo during my performance was responsive to the question. Thank you. The part where you talked about discovering that I had sent an email from your phone and how that would creep you out was not responsive to my question. So I take it by your answer that you are saying that if I told you I was going to take a picture with your phone and you found the selfie later on, you would not be creeped out, so long as I didn't send emails or access other apps. Fair?

I would be less creeped out if you took a selfie when you were known to be using the photo app. I'd probably assume that you had done it accidentally; if it was obviously intentional (e.g. posed) then I'd think you were a weirdo and be a little creeped out.

The point about burglary was to emphasise the difference between "offended" and "violated". It was not suggesting an identical level of violation between burglary and secret selfie.

The point about mentioning email was to explain that it's not about a photo, per se, but about messing around with the phone beyond what you have permission to do. I thought the rest of that post explained that but I guess not if it appeared that I had "gone off the rails".
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I'm not sure where I offended you Tim or why you think I don't consider other peoples opinions but please quote me and I'll take a hard look at it. I believe in civil discourse and strive to make my point without getting personal or off topic.

I'm forced to quote myself:

Magic Mike wrote in his long post with Roman Numerals:

Quote:
III) ...Thinking the selfie is creepy is reasonable opinion that I disagree with. The rest of it seems inflated.

Your second point is very valid. However to be fair he doesn't say "for any ostensible reason". He says " for either a trick, or if they ask to just take a photo". Was there a reason you changed that?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Billman
View Profile
Loyal user
New hampshire
219 Posts

Profile of Billman
It's kind of interesting how many people have reacted to this post. Some very much in favor and some very much opposed. I wanted to post about my experience, which happened to be a positive one. For me my performance style suits this, but I can see how it wouldn't for others. Thanks for the differing of opinions. It will definitely make me focus more on the individual I'm performing for and make my decision based on that. Thanks
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
My takeaway is that it seems like everyone agrees that if you make a big production of posing them and then "accidentally" take a selfie -- and reveal it for a big laugh -- no one has a problem with it. No one finds that an invasion. But some folks would find it "creepy" if they discover the selfie later on.

Does anyone disagree with this?
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Billman
View Profile
Loyal user
New hampshire
219 Posts

Profile of Billman
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2016, gowenmagic wrote:
I've seen street performers do this a lot too. They just borrow the phone, take time, really milking getting the audience in the right position then clearly take a selfie and give the phone back.

Gowenmagic, this is a great idea! I Might swap to this as it sounds very much like my presentation style. Thanks for the response.

Bill
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I think you'll find you could potentially creep some people out and others not. Personally I don't think finding a selfie of some unknown magician on your phone would garner a positive response, the OP mentions it happened ONCE. How many others he never saw again were creeped out I wonder?

And there is a world of difference in handing your phone to a well known celebrity vs an unknown magician. Most people would cherish a photo of someone famous on their phone. At least there is a story for them to tell that others can relate to. Not so with a pic of some random geezer who nobody knows.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
We're just repeating ourselves now.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » If you're not doing this, please start! (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL