The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How long per table- just 3 tables! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
Hi I've been asked to perform for over an hour in a room with 30 guests, 10 at each table.
So obviously if I do just 8 minutes per table I'm going to be finished in less than half the time.
Should I return to tables, maybe at the other end of the table?
Should I work betwwen courses and redo each table after each course?

Thanks, Harry
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
If it's for a fee of a million dollars give it 'a lot' of thinking time. If not, ask yourself two questions. 1)have I got a 20 min table act? And if not find one. And 2) Have I got 2 x 10 min table act? And if not, find them. Any other problems just call me, I'm taking a week off to develop a 30 min act. I 'm doing an hour for only 2 tables!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
It will depend on the layout of the room, but how about a bit of strolling to the three tables and then a stand up show for all the tables?

Or you could do strolling while they are standing during the cocktail hour and then do 10 minutes at each table.

Working tables at an event is different than at a restarurant in that they are all served at the same time. You don't have the delay of seating at each table and if you spend a lot of time at one, the rest will have their food already.

You should rarely, if ever, interrupt their eating of their food. You might be able to do do one before the salad course, one after the salad, and one after the main, before the desert. Perhaps even after the desert over coffee.

Let us know what you did and how it goes.

Kirk G
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I agree 100% with Kirk's idea to perform strolling magic first and then a stand up show. I personally wouldn't accept a gig like this under any other conditions.

Larry
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I have to say I don't see any problems in accepting this gig (or just about any other for that matter). It's a great challenge! I mean surely many of us have been booked to do a one-table dinner party? And in such a situation, here in the UK anyway, it's normal to be asked to do 30 mins or an hour even. So, if you've got enough arrows in your quiver you're always safe.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Yes, this is pretty regular for smaller type events...

I'd find out if there is any other entertainment after dinner such as a band or an auction, or a speech or whatever....

Then you can plan around either going over to the tables again, or my preference is to set up a table with a close-up pad and some chairs, and let them know at each table that you would be doing close-up magic at the "magic table" after dinner.

Then you can get guest to come over too you, so those that want to talk can talk and those that want to see magic can come over and see magic.

However, Make sure that you are going to get some people before you do this, make some incentive to come see you, say you'll do bigger things, or giveaway, or whatever.

Also do a little strolling beforehand, just some good openerers.... stuff to make them want you at their table, and stuff that you can easily top.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I was booked for an hour for 18 guests at one table at a 'Hen Night' (a wild night out with friends for a bride-to-be.) I did two halves. 25 mins general close-up effects using spectators from different areas of the table. The second half was a more spooky paranormal set. I included a ten minute break to allow me to reset my pockets and give my audience a chance to relect and refresh. I got some great letters back and a booking for the bride's father's 65th birthday party.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Hey,

I was at a fantastic Ian Keeble lecture the other week and a good piece of advice he gave was to split the table into two halves. Do one side, get their full attention, then do the other side?

Best Wishes,
Colin
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
When you are only booked for an hour, I wouldn't recommend setting up a table for people to come to after dinner. There is too great a chance that it will run long and/or some people won't get to see the show.

I would also caution against trying to split a tables attention and then hold it for 1/2 the time. I think it is better for all to be involved and have a good time.

I am currently going through my magical performance effects and organizing them according to how they can be played. IE. strolling, in hands, on table, stand up, etc. MOst of the time I have two set shows but recently I noticed I was having trouble "filling in." The audience didn't notice, but I did, so I want to be more prepared for a more easy transition between effects under the different condiditons. Why reinvent the wheel for each show?

KirkG
Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
Thanks for all the valuable help from all of you. It's much appreciated.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Get some feedback from the person that hired you.
What does your customer want?
Daniel Faith
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Guardian,

I agree that communicating with the client is extremely important, but most of the time clients depend on the magician to tell them what would work best since the magician, not the client, is the one who's supposed to have the experience which forms the basis for the decision.

Also, personally, there are some requests that I would simply refuse because I would be put in the position of delivering less than I'm capable of. I learned this the hard way when I acquiesced to client requests against my better judgement, resulting in mediocre shows.

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How long per table- just 3 tables! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL