The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Tricks at a dining table surrounded (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Hi just wondering what kind of tricks are suitable when you are ask to perform at a dining table where there are people sitting on your left and right or if its a round table?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many of the effects in "Sleight and the Family Stone" will work

Send a request to funsway@eversway.com
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Seems to me almost anything will work. If you are looking for stuff that specifically takes advantage of sitting then consult anything by Tony Slydini, John Mendoza, Dai Vernon, Bert Allerton or Even Eddie Marlo.

Though the trend in recent years is to stand to perform there are really tough to beat magical effects that can be done sitting. I did a sit down show for a country club every Saturday for years, it was an invite only type of gig, and it was a huge success. People wanted on the waiting list for months to be part of the 15 seat guest list.

I've always thought sitting performers had a much more eligant and personable feel about them.

_
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Protect your angles a bit by telling the specs to bunch up 'because you'll get a better view, you'll miss it where you are right now". Give them eye contact whilst saying it and pause so that they follow your request. Make a joke of it as they move in appreciation so that you're not coming across as bossy.
With the above in mind you'd be ok to do lapping as suggested by bigfoot.
I personally am too used to standing myself. But if lapping I don't think you can beat the disappearing glass where you wrap a napkin/servietter around it.
If the table is clear of objects so that they can see, coin unique with the glass swirl move before the above would be a good combination/routine.
All the usual stuff would work fine such as ACR, holy moly, paperclipped, bill switch etc etc. I'm not too well up on lapping routines so can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
Good luck!
mrsmiles
(UK)
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Though nearly impossible to find No Coke...Pepsi is a great routine and in the book of John verse two is a killer version of it. Loads of magic and jumbo coins and full bottle of pop etc.
truly using the lap allows for unbeatably magic it's just no longer as practical to do it. Tony Slydini's paper balls and hat is a thing of beauty and so magical too.
He explains everything you need to know in Stars of Magic then with some imagination you can create some amazing stuff.
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions! I'm referring more to impromptu effects as quite often I'm caught off guard during a casual meal setting and usually there will be people on your left or right at a table. some effects that I always do are CMH, some basic vanish using a TT or loop if the lighting is right or utensils are not overly heavily. I love doing the saltshaker thru table but don't think that will be good as there will be somebody beside me. Some items that are usually available on the table are just fork knife spoon saltshaker and perhaps napkin so trying to figure out wat I can do with these common items Smile

hi funsway I have also sent you an email.

cheers everyone!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Tricks at a dining table surrounded (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL