The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tricks using a simple red/black stack? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Other than the obvious OOTW, what tricks do people know of that take advantage of a red/black arrangement? I'm looking for something to follow Giobbi's Intuition ...
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Rick Lax's Binary Code. Or there's a neat effect on Osterlind's Intimate Impossibilities dvd where a red black separation occurs after the spectator genuinely gives the deck a riffle shuffle and cut.

Edit - these both assume an alternating red/black sequence. You would have to do a perfect faro first if the deck started out with colors separated.
Lakewood, Ohio
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Cool. I was thinking of the colours separated into two halves, but I don't mind considering a faro between - it actually makes it look mixed anyway Smile
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Nor blind, nor stupid (ni ciego ni tonto)
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On May 10, 2016, marc_carrion wrote:
Nor blind, nor stupid (ni ciego ni tonto)

Also known as Blown Away in Apocalypse and TNT in Card College Light
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Ah! Thanks vlad - I didn't know it was the same as TNT.

TNT-Intuition (who originated that effect, by the way? I don't think it was Giobbi, but I'm not sure)is a great combo from an appropriately arranged deck.

Which leaves a black/red separation (unknown by the spec) ... which is kinda why I started this thread Smile Is there somewhere to go with that other than tricks that don't require any such set-up?
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
TNT aka Neither Blind, Nor Stupid is a Juan Tamariz trick. It's his ingenious and sneaky handling and presentation for the age old red-black set-up, which was already a strong trick in its most basic form. This trick can also be studied as an object lesson on how to take a well known self-working trick (beginner stuff, you know!) and tune it to the max.

Intuition is John Kennedy's OOTW version "Red and Black" which first appeared in Genii Magazine in 1989.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Quote:
This trick can also be studied as an object lesson on how to take a well known self-working trick (beginner stuff, you know!) and tune it to the max.

Agree 100%
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Cheers for the info Uli! Smile
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
This just came to mind using 2 spectators:

Joy is asked to remove several cards from a face down spread deck, and hang onto the removed cards for the time being. Let's assume she touched six cards.
Steve is then asked to remove any card from the spread deck (now six cards short), note it, and mix into Joy's previously removed packet. Joy does not see what the selection is and has never seen the faces of any of the cards she holds.
After mixing the seven cards, Steve now shows Joy each card from her packet, now including his card, one by one. Magi asks Joy to focus on a few of the cards that she feels stand out to her. The rest are eliminated.
Steve then shows those remaining three cards one more time, and Steve is prompted to ask Joy to pinch and hold onto one card that she feels drawn to, which stands out to her.
The other two are discarded and can be shown. After some build up, Joy reveals to Steve the card she is holding, which is his selected card.

Needs a solid presentation behind it, and it would be preferred the two spectators don't know each other, but just a thought to bounce around. Obviously the original packet consists of all reds (or vice-versa) and the selection comes from the blacks (or vice-versa), hence why it stands out. With effective motivation for the procedure and an engaging presentation, it could be a strong effect.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi ThomasJ, it has potential Smile my only doubt is about "Steve now shows Joy each card from her packet, now including his card, one by one. Magi asks Joy to focus on a few of the cards that she feels stand out to her. The rest are eliminated"...

It would be better if the Magician spreads the cards in the table (not a nice spread, but dropping them randomly in the table like in the stabbed card trick)... tell Joy to point to two cards, you discard one of the two... then the Magician points to two cards, Steve discards one... Joy points to two cards, the Magician discards one.... etc... until one card is left on the table... build up and reveal...

Another quick detail... when asking Joy to shuffle... shuffle your packet as an demonstration, thus removing the secret... when discarding cards, insert them in the middle of the deck... tell them if that was yours... it is gone Smile
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
It is a nice idea for a trick, ThomasJ. I'd only be concerned that if Joy noticed (say) a pair of red queens and the ace of diamonds, she might feel that those cards stand out to her most (a pair of court cards and a high ace). Especially if the black selection were to be shown sixth or seventh (perhaps she'd already made up her mind by then). Presentation and instruction would possibly take care of that, of course. If it were made fail-safe, I agree it would be quite a good trick.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Paul Wilson's Absolute Zero or Simon Aronson's High Class location are far more convincing with a less visible deck division (ROBE/BORE or retained relative groups of a memorized stack), but R/B works perfectly well.
Neither Blind nor Stupid has already been mentioned, though, again, I think using some division of a memorized stack (odd/even or high/low) is my preferred approach to this one, and indeed Tamariz gives such a version in Mnemonica.
Simon Aronson's baffling Point Spread is based on an alternating R/B stack, albeit with modification.
I think you could dream up something combining an alternating R/B stack and the Gilbreath principle, though, again I go with a memorized stack for that (e.g., Maven's Mockingbird).
You have already mentioned OOTW. My favourite here is definitely Galaxy.

Les
RDeNatale
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of RDeNatale
Quote:
On May 8, 2016, j100taylor wrote:
Rick Lax's Binary Code. Or there's a neat effect on Osterlind's Intimate Impossibilities dvd where a red black separation occurs after the spectator genuinely gives the deck a riffle shuffle and cut.

Edit - these both assume an alternating red/black sequence. You would have to do a perfect faro first if the deck started out with colors separated.

Binary Code doesn't require any sequence. It uses a clever technique to memorize whatever the red black order happens to be.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2016, RDeNatale wrote:
Quote:
On May 8, 2016, j100taylor wrote:

Binary Code doesn't require any sequence. It uses a clever technique to memorize whatever the red black order happens to be.

That's true for the warm up phase. However the main effect uses red/black sequence. Watch the entire download.
Lakewood, Ohio
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
Try Aldo Colombini "Magnetic" in his book What's Up Deck.
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
I have a similar question: it occurred to me that the Mnemonica colour sequence is very easy to recall instantly, since the 13 quads only take on one of 8 possibilities.

Are there any effects that use this fact?

The only MD colour effects I can think of are Myopia (Close) / The Three Hours (Tamariz) type things which use identification rather than separation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tricks using a simple red/black stack? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL