The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Even more cups....... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BrendanK
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of BrendanK
Renaissance workers, check some of these

http://www.freerszauberladen.de/index.ht......_72.html

haven't handled them, stumbled across the site via google - some look like JEDINAT cups?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I should have a set of the #1224 cups next week sometime. Ted Lesley is bringing them over.

To tell you the truth, if you know what cups actually looked like during that period of time, NONE of these fit the bill.

Even the leather "Renaissance" cups currently being offered are not really like what was used for the routine back then. Hocus Pocus Junior specifies that the cups should be made of "brasse or Crooked Lane plate," which was silver or tin plate.

Modern cups generally have a second bead above the rim, which I refer to as a "shoulder." This was absent in the cups shown in drawings of the Renaissance period.

But the cups used by conjurers did have a recessed bottom. Again, this is specified in Hocus Pocus Junior.

The cups that Jedinat is offering seem to be from Willi Seidl and/or Bazar de Magia.

This said, the #1224 cups might be appropriate for Renaissance Festival use. If I were going back into Renfest work, I would probably use these or even the Phoenix cups because of their resemblance to the cups shown in HPJ, their shoulder notwithstanding. These #1224 cups do resemble the cups shown in some of the versions of H. Dean.

Okay. Ted Lesley came over today and brought a set of these #1224 cups from Freer's Zauberladen. Here's what you get.

You get three obviously hand made cups. They border on being crudely made, but they were put together with care. They have what one would call a hand-worked look about them. They do not nest perfectly. One is a tiny bit smaller than the others, so it goes in a little further when you nest them.

They have soldered seams similar to the cups that came in some of the magic sets of the 19th century. They have a look to them that would make one think of the old jugglers of the Renaissance, even though they really aren't traditional old style cups.

I think they would pass and they would pass very well.

They are a tad pricey for what you get, but they are less expensive than the Phoenix cups.

I don't think I would subject them to a lot of banging around, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Even more cups....... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL